Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

This is a bit of a quandry, isn't it?

Keeping in mind that Young is at best an average defender, if we pick him up, where does that leave us defensively.  He's got to play, so who sits?

Do we sit Drew, who is an average SS at worst and is a streak hitter who was just beginning to hit?

Do we sit Iggy and leave Drew and Young out there knowing that Iggy is better defensively than either of them?  AND Iggy is more and more looking like a ML hitter.

Do we sit Drew and Move Iggy to short and live with Young's "adequate" defense?  What about the old saw that you don't lose your position to an injury?

Do we sit Young so we can put the best defensive team we can on the field?  If we're going to do THAT why pick him up at all?

Where does that leave Snyder, whos playing pretty darn well.

And what about Middy?  Does this move preclude any chance of his coming back this year?

Can you tell that I don't think Young is the answer? 

I'm not prepared to give up ANY of our top 5-6 prospects for anyone they might get but I DO understand that the FO has to do something before the end of the month to show the team that they're commtted to winning.  It's just that this team is in 1st place so I see no need to make a splash.  One more solid pen arm, maybe, if that person can be gotten for 2-3 mid-level prospects, and we live or die with what we've got.

In spite of the success this year it's still a bridge year, and I very much like what I see at the end of that bridge.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

i am wondering if Bucholtz is really okay and the Red Sox were just saying that so that he did not have to pitch in the Allstar Game and he is going to be okay on Thursday when he pitches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

for the most part...pitching wins pennants/trophies.  that being said, Garza (and Lee if he becomes available) would be great assets to the Red Sox rotation.  The Sox are in first place and have an excellent chance at making the PO's.  the question is....do you want to win the world series this year?  if your answer is yes, you may have to concede 1 or 2 of your pitching "prospects" for Garza/Lee deal.  in Garza's case it could end up only being a 3 month rental.  or we can stand pat...probably make the PO's, probably not win the WS, and hope that 2-4 years down the road one of the "prospects" we didnt give up turns into an Ace and helps us win a WS.

sometimes you have to "go for it".  this seems like a perfect year to do just that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Sean McAdam: "...an industry source has said the Sox don't figure to be big players for the veteran righthander (Matt Garza)."

"According to McAdam, the Cubs are asking for two of the Red Sox’ top pitching prospects (from a group that includes Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Matt Barnes, Brandon Workman, Henry Owens and Anthony Ranaudo) in exchange for the veteran right-hander, a price the Sox are reportedly not willing to pay."

Will be interesting, for sure !!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

for the most part...pitching wins pennants/trophies.  that being said, Garza (and Lee if he becomes available) would be great assets to the Red Sox rotation.  The Sox are in first place and have an excellent chance at making the PO's.  the question is....do you want to win the world series this year?  if your answer is yes, you may have to concede 1 or 2 of your pitching "prospects" for Garza/Lee deal.  in Garza's case it could end up only being a 3 month rental.  or we can stand pat...probably make the PO's, probably not win the WS, and hope that 2-4 years down the road one of the "prospects" we didnt give up turns into an Ace and helps us win a WS.

sometimes you have to "go for it".  this seems like a perfect year to do just that.

The Cubs are asking for the moon for Garza. Why not? They know that no one is going to give them two top pitching prospects for a two month rental. What they will get is much less. They know that. I would not surrender ANY of our top pitching prospects for him. In fact, I would not surrender any top prospects at all. We are in first place in the AL without Garza. I would roll the dice and try to win it with our current guys plus a cheap but effective arm for the bullpen. NO to sacrificing the future for a two month rental.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

The thing is, I dont think Garza is the guy that would take us to the WS. Cliff Lee would be that guy. Garza is a MOTR guy, while Lee is an Ace type. IF the Sox feel like parting with the future, then Lee would be the better choice IMHO.

Personally, I dont want either of them unless one of our guys goes down. Id rather concentrate on BP arms.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

MLBTradeRumors

"(Jim)Bowden(ESPN) hears there's an 80 percent chance that Matt Garza will be traded before his next scheduled start (Monday or Tuesday of next week). The Rangers, Red Sox and Diamondbacks are still involved, He describes the D-backs as "dark horses," adding that their odds in the Garza sweepstakes would increase if they were willing to part with left-hander David Holmberg."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Toronto or Texas will spend their future stars to get Garza,Texas has to go for it and toronto needs someone to be consistant in thier rotation. The Sox might add Jesse Crain and Young but past those two guys only Lee would be of any real interest, I think the Cubs are the ones saying the Sox are still in the hunt just so they can get someone to spend big.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When Jim Bowden says 80%, you should probably figure 20%. Id be very surprised if Garza doesnt make his start on Saturday.

The Cubs are asking for 2 top pitching prospects+. Thats just not going to happen for a pitcher like Garza and also being a 2 month rental. If you trade at the deadline I believe you cant offer a QO to the player and get a comp pick. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

Teams are just not letting go too easily of their top pitching prospects. especially for a MOTR pitcher for 2 months. Teams will/should only give up that kind of talent for a bonified Ace type pitcher.

I also expect that a couple more names (SP) will be available that we havent heard about yet.

If Buchholz injury is more serious than once throught, the Sox might have to do something they didnt want to. Part with valuable prospects for a TOTR pitcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Dear Ben!

#1 - Go get a front of the rotation starting pitcher! You've got the prospects, GO GET ONE! If it's Garza, if he sings an extention, offer more, if not, offer less! No brain surgery here!

#2 - Go get a bat! We need a bit more "Thump!" Not a ton, just a bit. Michael Young IS NOT the answer. He would be an OK addition don't get me wrong. But again, if Napoli gets going like he was in the beginning of the season, we might not need one.

Either way, it will be an interesting 2 or so weeks!  Go Sox!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even if Workman throws 2 one hitters before the deadline, we won't know much more than we already do.

I'm not sure I'd trade 1 from that list for Garza unless he extends at a reasonable cost.

(I'd try and take Ranaudo and Owens off that list.)

I might give 2 of Webster, DLR, Britton, Workman and Barnes for James Russell and an extended Garza.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Four of Keith Law's top 50 prospects in the minor leagues are Red Sox -- Bogaerts, Cecchini, Bradley and Owens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

John Henry says on WEEI that his in-house preseason projections had the Red Sox finishing second behind Tampa Bay.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

John Henry says on WEEI that his in-house preseason projections had the Red Sox finishing second behind Tampa Bay.

Henry: "We took a big turn after 2008 away from our core philosophy."
    Henry: "Instead of what we had for a decade, which was grinding out at-bats and attacking the hitter as a pitcher, we weren't doing that."

Henry: "Everyone looks for an edge, but we got a little too enamored of 'We'll look for a new and better edge.'"

Henry on long term deals: "You have to look at every player differently. Dustin Pedroia would be different than going out and signing someone."

Henry said he's talked with Boras about Ellsbury during this season but implied he expects Ellsbury to hit the open market.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sounds like they valued TB as much as I did.

The Rays will not fade away in the dogdays of summer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tampa Bay's pipeline of young starting pitching is, more than anything, what has made them competitive for six years now. The Rays have also known when to move those guys and how to get something valuable in return.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tampa Bay's pipeline of young starting pitching is, more than anything, what has made them competitive for six years now. The Rays have also known when to move those guys and how to get something valuable in return.

[/QUOTE]

They were better at collecting comp picks than Theo.

They continually dump players just before they decline, get hurt or both.

They continually pick up journeymen types that have career best seasons with them.

Who would have thought the Rays would be this close with Price at 3-5, Hellickson with a 4.67 ERA and Roberto Hernandez at 5-10 4.90?

Moore, Cobb and Archer have picked up the slack, and the offense has scored a suprising amounta of runs this season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Sean McAdam: "...an industry source has said the Sox don't figure to be big players for the veteran righthander (Matt Garza)."

"According to McAdam, the Cubs are asking for two of the Red Sox’ top pitching prospects (from a group that includes Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Matt Barnes, Brandon Workman, Henry Owens and Anthony Ranaudo) in exchange for the veteran right-hander, a price the Sox are reportedly not willing to pay."

Owens is putting up impressive numbers. On Wednesday he contributed to a combined no-hitter for the Salem Red Sox. Henry pitched six innings: 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 10 K.
    Owens improved to 7-4 with a 2.93 ERA. In 92 innings, he has 107 strikeouts and 47 walks. Yes, he can be wild, but also very effective.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Since we are talking Garza, which is not going to happen---how would this hypothetical offer be viewed:

John Henry says he wants Ells back----I think Ells is going where Ells wants to be--in Annaheim with a star studded lineup. He would be ideal in Annahein. 

Ells, Drew, Lavarnway and Lester for Conger, Trumbo, Downs and a prospect.

Arte Moreno would see this as doable to get Ells for the stretch and Lester rejuvinated under Mike Scioscia. We get another lefty in the pen, power numbers with Trumbo, and another switchhitting catcher to replace Lava. People have become disenchanted with Lester and there are some young guys waiting for an opportunity. 

It's a risk moving Ells in the middle of the season but I think JBJ can handle CF, Victorino in RF and Trumbo in LF. Trumbo strikes out 1 of every 4 Ab's. Nap is 123 K's for 324 Ab's--he may reach 210 K's before the season is over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jeff Passan.YahooSports        

"If Matt Garza doesn't go to the Texas, rival executives see St. Louis, Boston, D-backs and Dodgers as likeliest places for him to land."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jeff Passan.YahooSports        

"If Matt Garza doesn't go to the Texas, rival executives see St. Louis, Boston, D-backs and Dodgers as likeliest places for him to land."

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN

"Other teams say CHC are asking for last and best offers on Matt Garza, and they think he'll be traded before he throws another pitch for CHC"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

[QUOTE]

Jeff Passan.YahooSports        

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN

"Other teams say CHC are asking for last and best offers on Matt Garza, and they think he'll be traded before he throws another pitch for CHC"

[/QUOTE]

GordonEdes
    "Buchholz bullpen scratched; to be re-examined Friday"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jeff Passan.YahooSports        

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN

GordonEdes
    "Buchholz bullpen scratched; to be re-examined Friday"

Gordon Edes:

Buchholz experiences another setback

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

As of 9:00 this evening the Cubs were very close to trading Garza to Texas For a Single A pitcher and possibly Mike Olt, Wow big props to Texas for swindling Theo!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

FOX Sports KEN ROSENTHAL and JON PAUL MOROSI

"The Texas Rangers are moving closer to acquiring right-hander Matt Garza from the Chicago Cubs, according to an official involved in the discussions."