Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/red-sox-looking-pretty-hard-at-miguel-alfredo-gonzalez.html

Between the rumos with Peavy, Santana, and Gonzalez....I feel like the Sox are trying to make some kind of move that will impact and strengthen this team going down the stretch. 

They could also be trying to drive up the price for whoever ends up getting these guys.

I think the only moves we make will be relatively minor: pen help, a 3Bman who hits LHPs well, and/or maybe a 5th starter type depedning on the Buch prognosis.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peavy trade discussions include Boston's Middlebrooks

Scott Merkin of MLB.com,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Peavy trade discussions include Boston's Middlebrooks

Scott Merkin of MLB.com,

reportedly....according to other sources they have NOT discussed him.  Who knows who is correct. 

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/24/with-jose-iglesias-struggling-red-sox-dilemma-trade-dilemmas-for-third-base-deepens/

"MLB.com is reporting that the Red Sox and White Sox have discussed the possibility of a trade involving White Sox starter Jake Peavy that would require the Sox to send Will Middlebrooks to Chicago. (No word on who introduced Middlebrooks to the talks or if Boston is willing to part with him.)

UPDATE — According to an industry source, the Red Sox and White Sox have not discussed Middlebrooks “in any context” with each other"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Middlebrooks is in the mix with Xman, Cecchini, and Iggy. So you have 4 high profile players for 2 positions.

Bogaerts is not going anyplace unless it's in a Stanton trade or for a top, top, top Pitching prospect. I think Boggie is destined to play LF with Cecch at 3 B and Iggy at SS along with Pedroia and Carp on next years team.

Cecch-is in the same category.

Iggy could be moved but I think he becomes the long term fixture at SS for the Sox.

WMB will be moved.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Doug Padilla@ESPNChiSox        

Now Coop( pitching coach Don Cooper) talks. Calls Crain a slight setback. Crain expresses obvious disappointment. Won't be back before the deadline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jayson Stark/ESPN        

Your scout lineup for Jake Peavy's start today: Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Braves, O's, Reds & Rangers have 2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Middlebrooks is in the mix with Xman, Cecchini, and Iggy. So you have 4 high profile players for 2 positions.

Bogaerts is not going anyplace unless it's in a Stanton trade or for a top, top, top Pitching prospect. I think Boggie is destined to play LF with Cecch at 3 B and Iggy at SS along with Pedroia and Carp on next years team.

Iggy could be moved but I think he becomes the long term fixture at SS for the Sox.

WMB will be moved.

They very well could move off of those positions.  If WMB recovers he may be the best man for 3B and more and more and more scouts are saying Xander can stick at SS.  Cecchini could move to LF or he could move to 1B.  Bogaets could still move to 3B or a corner outfield as well.  ultimately, I expect at least 3 of those guys to be here in several years with one or two of them moving off position.

in Other news the Sox are scouting EVERYONE!!!!!!!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/red-sox-rumors-norris-gallardo-volquez-peavy.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peter Gammons/MLBNetwork        

Red Sox have scouts most everywhere:Norris last night, Gallardo, Volquez, Peavy 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

“[Ellsbury’s agent] Scott [Boras] has a track record of taking his players to free agency so I’m not confident. It would be great if we could,” Henry said Wednesday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

WMB will be moved.

I see Bogaerts and Cecchini being our 3B and 1Bmen in the future. Who plays where depends on who is the better 3Bman. Carp can be the (back-up or starter) 1Bman, DH, and LF'er in 2014 and beyond.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox are searching for pitching in advance of Wednesday's trade deadline.  The latest:

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jake Peavy against Detroit today: 7 IP, 4 ER, 7 K, 2 BB, 3 HR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Santana, Peavy or Gonzalez......I feel like there is a decent chance the Sox end up with 1 of these 3. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jayson Stark - ESPN, Senior Baseball Writer

An exec who watched Ervin Santana last night says "I'd take him over Garza. Hit 95-96 a lot. Slider was 85-86. And commanding everything"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Jayson Stark - ESPN, Senior Baseball Writer

An exec who watched Ervin Santana last night says "I'd take him over Garza. Hit 95-96 a lot. Slider was 85-86. And commanding everything"

Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports   

Sources: Royals willing to listen on Ervin Santana, would move for right offer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Santana, Peavy or Gonzalez......I feel like there is a decent chance the Sox end up with 1 of these 3. 

I would choose Santana out of those 3. Peavy is expensive and always hurt, Dont know much about Gonzalez except he wont be able to help this team right away, if at all this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I would choose Santana out of those 3. Peavy is expensive and always hurt, Dont know much about Gonzalez except he wont be able to help this team right away, if at all this year.

But, Santana is a FA after this season: Peavy is not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

good maybe pricetag will not be as steep for Ervin]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I woulnt give up what it would probably cost for either of them. I just chose who i thought was the better of the 3 if I had to choose. Although i dont think santana wouldnt be as much because of his pending FA.

IMO, Peavy is NOT a good deal. too much in prospects, too much money owed, and ALWAYS on the DL. besides last year, Peavey hasnt pitched 20 games in a year since 2007.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I woulnt give up what it would probably cost for either of them. I just chose who i thought was the better of the 3 if I had to choose. Although i dont think santana wouldnt be as much because of his pending FA.

IMO, Peavy is NOT a good deal. too much in prospects, too much money owed, and ALWAYS on the DL. besides last year, Peavey hasnt pitched 20 games in a year since 2007.

I don't think Peavy or Santana are "the answer" either.

Starting pitchers cost too much at the deadline.

Hardly anyone agreed last winter that we needed to beef up the rotation from the top or near the top.

Our best chance to improve this month is to build up the pen and find a 3Bman who can hit lefties very well. I wouldn't give up more than rule 5 border players for either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Tyler Clippard might be available, wow. Hope Ben looks into this.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't think Peavy or Santana are "the answer" either.

Starting pitchers cost too much at the deadline.

Hardly anyone agreed last winter that we needed to beef up the rotation from the top or near the top.

Our best chance to improve this month is to build up the pen and find a 3Bman who can hit lefties very well. I wouldn't give up more than rule 5 border players for either.

[/QUOTE]

People though we needed to "beef up" the rotation. Problem was there wasnt a lot of attractive names that fit into the Sox plan that we could, or should have got.

Im also thinking maybe another pen arm, but I also believe they have what they need there internally. People get all gaga over a name like Crain, when realistically its middle relief, and we probably have just as good options in house.

I dont think Young is the answer at 3b, and certainly not A. Ramirez. There arent many other options that I can see there, so Id pass. Teams are looking for way too much in return so Id just hang tight til the final hour to see if some prices come down. Im sure BC & Co. are checking in with everyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

People though we needed to "beef up" the rotation. Problem was there wasnt a lot of attractive names that fit into the Sox plan that we could, or should have got.

Im also thinking maybe another pen arm, but I also believe they have what they need there internally. People get all gaga over a name like Crain, when realistically its middle relief, and we probably have just as good options in house.

I dont think Young is the answer at 3b, and certainly not A. Ramirez. There arent many other options that I can see there, so Id pass. Teams are looking for way too much in return so Id just hang tight til the final hour to see if some prices come down. Im sure BC & Co. are checking in with everyone.

Hardly anyone thought our rotation was even close to a top priority. Most felt we were "deep" enough to absorb any injury or unexpected decline, or they liked our pitching prospects so much that they did not want to spend big or trade top prospects to get a 1 or 2 slot SP.

I was not for spending on a big named FA SP, but did mention that A Sanchez was the best of the group and would have been a better signing than the combined contracts of Drew, SV, Dempster, and Ross. It's always a gamble to trade for a SP or sign marginal top pitchers as FAs, and many of my suggested targets have not faired well this season so far (see B Anderson and B McCarthy), but my point here is that trying to obtain a SP is usually less costly during the winter than at the deadline. "Beefing up" the rotation in the winter makes more sense to me. We can always trade excess at the deadline and get a nice return then, if everything works out well.

The relatively less costly acquisitions made at the deadline will be 3B or the pen- not a solid SP.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hardly anyone thought our rotation was even close to a top priority. Most felt we were "deep" enough to absorb any injury or unexpected decline, or they liked our pitching prospects so much that they did not want to spend big or trade top prospects to get a 1 or 2 slot SP.

I was not for spending on a big named FA SP, but did mention that A Sanchez was the best of the group and would have been a better signing than the combined contracts of Drew, SV, Dempster, and Ross. It's always a gamble to trade for a SP or sign marginal top pitchers as FAs, and many of my suggested targets have not faired well this season so far (see B Anderson and B McCarthy), but my point here is that trying to obtain a SP is usually less costly during the winter than at the deadline. "Beefing up" the rotation in the winter makes more sense to me. We can always trade excess at the deadline and get a nice return then, if everything works out well.

The relatively less costly acquisitions made at the deadline will be 3B or the pen- not a solid SP.

Sox4ever

Actually, although a TOTR starter is always coveted, our Roration has absorbed injuries and undeperformance this year to our top 2 pitchers. Weve also shown our depth with our prospects stepping up. So even though a good starter is always a +, I think both sides of that arguement were right.

I agree with pretty much everything here.