Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Red Sox non-waiver deadline July 31st rumors

Jim Bowden - ESPN.com, Baseball Analyst

Bats that could be traded by Wed: Pence, Rios, Quentin, Mourneau, Morales, Ibanez, Byrd, Schierholtz,ARamirez

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Papelbon: Phillies need changes from top, down http://dlvr.it/3k11BS 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Rob Bradford/WEEI      

Per source, Red Sox didn't show much interest in Astros reliever Jose Veras before traded to Tigers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports      

Can the Phillies trade Cliff Lee? http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Can-Philadelphia-Phillies-trade-Cliff-Lee-072813 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is shaping up to be a sellers market.  Anything can happen over the next 48 hours but there seems to be much more buyers than sellers this year.  Less sellers + more playoff spots = higher premuims.  I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking for trades, but I hope Ben C. sticks to his guns and doesn't overpay.....and if he does then I think theres a really good chance we make no major moves. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jeff Passan - Yahoo! Sports, MLB Columnist

Red Sox very much in Jake Peavy sweepstakes. Wouldn't exactly say they're favorites but between motivation and prospects in strong position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peter Gammons      

A's not in on Peavy price(Gray, Russell & take on bearly $20M), ditto Boston, ditto Atlanta. Time running down

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Unless we can get a star player who is under team control for several years, I would not trade Bogaerts, JBJ, Cecchini, Owens, or Ranaudo. Even then, I'd think long and hard about it.

To me, guys like Webster, de la Rosa, Barnes, Swihart, Workman, Brentz and Marrero are a step lower than the 5 I listed above, but still worth holding onto unless the right deal comes along. I would not trade any of these 12 players for a 2 month rental. If forced to choose one, I'd part with Brentz or Marrero.

We may have to hold onto Vazquez, since Salty may bolt this winter, but other prospects are much more expendable, in my opinion. 

With Pedey extended, Betts or Coyle appear to be blocked.

With the prospect logjam at SS/3B, maybe Lin or Vinicio.

With rule 5 causing some roster issues this winter maybe one or two from Hazelbaker, Hassan, or de la Cruz.

I suppose we may part with some lower pitching prospects like Alex Wilson or de la Torre, but I think we may want a longer look at Brian Johnson, Ty Buttrey, Jamie Callahan, Simon Mercedes, Pat Light, Cody Kukuk, or F. Montas.

We may be able to get a decent 2 month rental RP for the likes of Huntzinger, C Martin, Wright, Butler, Snyder or others. 

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Source: Jesse Crain trade close

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9518436/source-chicago-white-sox-close-trading-jesse-crain

Your guess on the mystery 3rd team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Eric Kay/Angels        

Angels acquire RHR Cory Rasmus from Braves for LHR Scott Downs. Rasmus was 3-1, 1.72 ERA, 14 S with AAA Gwinnett. Assigned to SLC roster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Players who I think a very tradeable in terms of depth and value are: Mookie Betts, Anthony Ranaudo, Will Middlebrooks, Michael Almanzar.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo      

Red Sox and Phillies have engaged in talks on Cliff Lee and Michael Young, but Sox won't deal top prospects.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Phillies reportedly want 3-4 top prospects and all cash paid for Cliff Lee

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is reporting

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham          

RedSox give Iglesias a day off 4 of last 40, no XBHs, 1 run last 11 games. .. In possibly related news, Bogaerts playing 3B at Pawtucket.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Pete Abraham          

RedSox give Iglesias a day off 4 of last 40, no XBHs, 1 run last 11 games. .. In possibly related news, Bogaerts playing 3B at Pawtucket.

5 game playing 3rd for Bogaerts.....3rd time in a week.  Makes you wonder, huh???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Bob Nightengale/USA Today      

Former  SF Giants closer Brian Wilson has 5 offers-from 4 NL teams and 1 AL team with Pirates and Dbacks considered strong front runners.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Mark Gonzales/Chicago Tribune        

Crain sounds as if he knows he's gone, spoke about Sox in past tense but declined to identify future team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber/Boston Herald      

No surprise, but Phillies won't move Lee unless bowled over. Red Sox refusal to deal Bogaerts, Bradley, Owens, etc., makes trade doubtful

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports        

Athletics off Peavy, moving onto other pursuits - bullpen, middle IFer. Will dangle some of players they would have traded for Peavy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Rob Bradford - WEEI.com, Red Sox Beat Writer

Sources: Red Sox not in on Joe Nathan; still prioritizing right-handed reliever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber/Boston Herald      

Red Sox didn't fully re-engage in talks about Jesse Crain after he went back on disabled list

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ken Rosenthal/Fox Sports      

Why Red Sox should trade for Lee - yes, even if it costs them Bogaerts. Column: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-red-sox-will-not-trade-top-prospect-xander-bogaerts-for-cliff-lee-073013 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Xander Boagerts for Cliff Lee????? Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Keeping an eye on the kid the Cubs traded for CJ Edwards, started his 1st game for their Single A team in Daytona, kid pitched 5 innings 1 hitter, again. The start before this just before trade went 7 innings 1 hit.
    He's got some phenomenal numbers this year. From what I've read hits 95 with ease, but his best Pitch is his cutter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

[QUOTE]

Pete Abraham          

5 game playing 3rd for Bogaerts.....3rd time in a week.  Makes you wonder, huh???

[/QUOTE]

Last year, I said we should start playing Bogaerts at 3B.

Most here said, "what's the hurry?" or "We have Middlebrooks at 3B."