Red Sox OF in 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Re: Red Sox OF in 2012?

Ellsbury has a much higher trade value in the NL

Red Sox have an urgent future need for a young slugging RH corner OF'er and a solid defensive and young catcher, even if Salty ends up marginal or decent

Total steals is overrated. It's more about when the steals take place, than how many. If a guy steals 50 bases, that's only one every three games. Ellsbury has had a lot of stolen bases but has never scored more than 100 runs. No, that's not because the guys behind him weren't hitting, it's because his OBP is not exactly top of the line for leadoff hitters. I'd rather have Gardner, who is a much better defender, better arm, and better at getting on base. 

The Red Sox are joined at the hip with Crawford. Ellsbury is either extended, not going to happen, or goes for, depending upon next CBA, a draft pick or two that will be years away. Much easier to scout the NL and deal him with his 2 cheaper arbitration/control years and get a part that fits the future of the team needs. 

You don't indict management for your own worries about your next contract, and claim they didn't take enough images to satisfy your agent. But even assuming management gives he and Boras a pass for that fiasco of 2010, cost exceeds benefit in hanging on to him beyond this season.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox OF in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]I don't get the whole Navarro in the OF scenario. The guy projects to me as a utility infielder mainly. I think they are giving him some OF time to make him even more useful. I would just come out and say it. NO WAY he's is our RF next year, no matter how well he hits in AAA ball this year. Look at the total situation. Enough speed for our RF? No. Enough pop in his bat? No. Enough OF experience? No. It's not going to happen. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I mentioned him only as a possible stop-gap solution in RF for early 2012 while either Kalish or Linares get their timing back in AAA or while Reddick attempts to step it up in AAA (because if he steps it up in 2011 I would imagine Reddick would be on the mlb roster to start 2012 instead of Navarro for the RF job).  Regardless, it depends on what the Sox see/think of Navarro in the OF down in AAA once he returns from the DL.  A highly versatile player with a good bat is certainly a good player to have, and Navarro could end up filling that role with the Sox long term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE] Some folks have posted that we're gonna miss Drew. I'm certainly not one of them. At this point in the season after 104 at-bats Drew has 8 rbis and 2 homers. Even if Drew gets 500 at-bats this season (which is unlikely, given that a hangnail may well sideline the guy!) that figures out to be 40 rbis and 10 home runs---all that for 14 million bucks! As for his fabled patience at the plate, I'm tired of watching him take called 3rd strikes on pitches that he should be able to foul off or take to left.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Right, because a slow start means that a player will remain terrible throughout the season, just as a hot start means that they'll continue to do well?  Do you really think Berkman will end up with 40+ HR's this year (10 so far)?  Will HanRam continue to hit just .224/.311/.313?  Even great players slump, so why wouldn't above average ones slump as well?  It would be different if we had seen a gradual decline in Drew over the years, but his sharp decline last yar leaves people wondering if it was a fluke, or if it's the quick end to his career... BABIP suggests more of a fluke (.031 below his career BABIP).  While Drew may no longer be what he once was, he's still a solid RF, who's on the downside of his career curve.

No one expects 500 AB's from Drew.  One reason for this (other than the missed time) is that he walks.... a lot!  Those walks lead to runs, but don't count as AB's.  Drew has never had more than 478 AB's while with the Sox; however, his second lowest plate appearance total has been 539 PA's in 2009 (his lowest was 456 in 2008).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]You forgot Ryan Westmoreland! xD
    Posted by zack5042[/QUOTE]
    We can only hope for a good recovery.  If he's able to contribute and be the star he was expected to become, that's a bonus.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Crawford -LF, Ellsbury - CF, Reddick - RF. That's how I see it now. I see Cameron, McDonald and Drew gone for 2012. I don't see Kalish at all for RF. The other OF prospects I haven't seen play so I haven't formed an opinion on them. There are a lot of OF's in the system. I think some thinning out will occur.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In my honest assessment, and of course I could be very wrong, I didn't see Navarro as hitting enough to even get out of MILB ball until last year when BAM he's a stud. Something could have drastically changed, for sure, but his recent hitting success could also be a short term blip.

His best shot by far could be as a utility infield guy who can also cover in the OF some if necessary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Another interesting question.  I think LF is the ultimate slam dunk for expected performance and salary commitment reasons.  CF I am happy with current and projected performance....if Ellsbury continues his steady growth he'll either get an arb rise or a negotiated rise from his relatively modest 2.5m salary.  If he has a huge season we won't trade him. I can't see him being moved.

That leaves RF.  Tough one.  Big budget already, the other two OFs are "pea shooters"....no clear studs in the minors....

Not too worrying....get a good glove/OBP/steady guy out there....the production from 2B/3B is cover.  Why oh why can't we get a guy like JD Drew?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'd like to see Linares in right as he's a righty and we need one of those in the OF. His injury probably sets him back to at least 2013 though. Frown

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

RF will be a testing ground for rookies and backed by an aging former all*star such as Beltran.  Elles will be moved between June 2012 and January 2013 regardless of how good he becomes - Crawford was brought here to replace him not to join him for the next 7 seasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get the whole Navarro in the OF scenario. The guy projects to me as a utility infielder mainly. I think they are giving him some OF time to make him even more useful. I would just come out and say it. NO WAY he's is our RF next year, no matter how well he hits in AAA ball this year. Look at the total situation. Enough speed for our RF? No. Enough pop in his bat? No. Enough OF experience? No. It's not going to happen. There is no clear solution but why would we want to trade one of our best players ( Ellsbury ) when we already are projected to be short in the OF next year? Ellsbury could step in and be decent overall in RF for us. He had a great UZR/150 when he's played there before and his speed is a huge advantage in RF. We wouldn't get the strong arm but how often do we through guys out at 3rd anyway? I think he would be solid in RF. Almost definitely better overall than Drew even defensively, as good as he has been for us. But then what do we do in CF. I don't see Ellsbury getting traded! It would take a great deal for us to pull that trigger next year.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I disagreed with you on Navarro last year, Boom. And that hasn't changed.
    I saw the guy as a solid SS. Great range and a gun for an arm.

I don't get why you don't recognize his assets. He hasn't just hit over the last two years. He's hit at every level. He's a career .285 hitter with 40 dingers, 250 rbi's and 250 runs scored in over 400 games. He has a .353 OBP and a 790 OPS.

He's playing the outfield because of his athleticism, as Pawtucket is short on outfield bodies. The guy has starter SS written all over him. He has all the physical tools. If he overcomes his maturity issues, this guy could really excel at the M.L. level. And up to this year, he's been flying under the IGGY hyperbole.

I say this guy comes up...and the team will give Scut the extended "rest" he should have had last year.