Red Sox Offered Reddick, Prospects For Bailey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Red Sox Offered Reddick, Prospects For Bailey

In Response to Re: Red Sox Offered Reddick, Prospects For Bailey:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Offered Reddick, Prospects For Bailey : Look at all these trades within 72 hours.  None of the team got top 10 prospects in return.  Look at Colorado trading Street for a player to be named later.  Look at Bluejays got a closer from White Sox for a cheap prospect.  It is just about salary reliefs especially for these small market team.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

For the White Sox i's about rebuilding from the ground up, not salary relief.  Santos is very cheap for the next 3 years, with 3 more fairly cheap club options, for a total of 6 years of team control.  I'm not sure why they didn't ask for more from the Jays.  Street only has 2 years of control, with one of those being an option.  Street makes as much this year as Santos will over the next 3 years total.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

It is believed that Beane was asking for Reddick and Middlebrooks for Bailey, a price, in my opinion, that is way too steep.

If Cherington can make this trade without including Middlebrooks or Renauldo I would be OK with it. Giving up Middlebrooks is a lot to ask if he is supposed to be the team's future 3B, although they also have Vitek in the system there too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]It is believed that Beane was asking for Reddick and Middlebrooks for Bailey, a price, in my opinion, that is way too steep. 
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Last I heard, that was not the case.

Latest On A's-Red Sox Andrew Bailey Talks

8:49am:  The talks are not that far along and the A's have not asked for Middlebrooks, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.  The A's would need more, but WEEI's Alex Speier tweets that they've liked Lars AndersonRaul Alcantara, and Brandon Workman.  Things are currently quiet on the Bailey-Red Sox trade front, tweets Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think sometimes fans tend to over value the talent in the minor league system.  Last year this board thought that Iggy was the future of the Sox and now look at the posts on him.  Middlebrooks may be good, but he is a year or so away, Reddick had his shot and did OK but not great...Bailey is proven talent, MLB tested and something the Sox need to be in the hunt next year.  He would free up Aceves to become a starter.  If we are talking "bridge years" again...then don't make the trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Uconn - Baily makes less than half a mil a year - $465 k to be exact. Not a salary relief decision.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Houston Street off to San Diego for "player to be named later" with all but his salary paid by San Diego! What this doesnt sound right?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Uconn - Baily makes less than half a mil a year - $465 k to be exact. Not a salary relief decision.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

He is due to get more than 1 million to 3 million a year raise once the abitration case settled.  Also he was on the DL previous season.  A's is more likely rebuilding 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]It is believed that Beane was asking for Reddick and Middlebrooks for Bailey, a price, in my opinion, that is way too steep. If Cherington can make this trade without including Middlebrooks or Renauldo I would be OK with it. Giving up Middlebrooks is a lot to ask if he is supposed to be the team's future 3B, although they also have Vitek in the system there too.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox would be selling high on 23-year-old Will Middlebrooks, whom Baseball America has never been ranked among the Top 10 Red Sox prospects (at least in part because of Middlebrooks' high strikeout rate and low walk rate).

The Athletics probably have an equivalent or better thirdbase prospect in Stephen Parker:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=parker002ste

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

UCONN: Beane is in perpetual rebuilding mode. At least he will have competion for tanking it when Houston moves to AL West.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]Sox is still involved in Madson as well.  Is he back up plan for Bailey or Sox trying that hard to strengthen our bullpen.  If BC lands Bailey AND Madson somehow, he will be praised.  Then Bard can be tested in the rotation.  It would be Madson and Bailey for the late innings which will be the best 8-9 inning combination.
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Madson, like Ortiz has to make a decision by tonight whether to accept arb--so if the Sox want him he needs to decline arb by midnight Eastern Time or perhaps the Sox can agree to a deal with the Phils where they sign him to a three year deal and trade him to the Sox before they have to go to arb. If the Phils feel they will lose Rollins they might complete the scenario above and we trade Scutaro as part of the deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston isnt going to trade Scutaro for Madson cuz Boston need a SS too!!  Lowrie isnt the answer nor Aviles!!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]The FO must think that Ryan Kalish will make a full recovery from his surgery and be in the mix to play a ML role this coming Season.  I think both Ryan and Josh Reddick are assets, however, I can see Kalish being the Red Sox CF in a couple of seasons if the Red Sox are unable to sign Jacoby Ellsbury longterm.  Impressions are everything and although both may be listed as 5 tool players, regardless of stats, if you have to evaluate how Kalish filled in for Jacoby in 2010 and how Josh filled in for JD Drew in 2011, Kalish has more of an upside.  If the Red Sox are able to get enough value for Josh Reddick such as Andrew Bailey, even if by adding a prospect, I would rather move Josh, hope he will do well elsewhere, and not look back. When the Red Sox have traded young outfielders with promise, recently they have not make too many mistakes.  The outfielder who comes to mind we would have benefitted in keeping is the Rangers David Murphy also because Gagne did not work out, others such as Brandon Morse who went to the Pirates in the ManRam deal and I think is now signed with the A's, and highly touted Matt Murton who is now playing in Japan, but was traded to the Cubs with Nomar in 2004.  If you think about it, however, during the Epstein/Cherington era the Red Sox have not had too many regrets about released or traded players.
    Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you a secret.......When Ells leaves CC will move to center... Fact

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Boston isnt going to trade Scutaro for Madson cuz Boston need a SS too!!  Lowrie isnt the answer nor Aviles!!  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE] they have two really good SS's in the minors Iglesias and Boergarts and they can always trade for Hanley as the marlins are going to trade him! He has asked for more money to switch positions and Ozzie and the Marlins brass walked out of their meeting saying austa manana to Senor Ramirez...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

If Cherington gives up a future allstar 3B in Middlebrooks for a play like Bailey he should be fired.  The only way Middlebrooks gets traded is for a franchise changing pitcher or postion player.  Not a closer, there are good closers in FA that wont cost you the future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Are there any updates on this? I am really hoping for this trade to get done without including Middlebrooks, but last we heard (at 9 am) he wasn't invloved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

I do not think Billy Beane has given up on next season. In sabermetrics they claim that there is no difference between closing and any other relieving and Billy buys into this completely. So, as he has done before, he let his closer's value go up only to get the most out of a trade for him. This does not mean i do not want Bailey... i do. This is just what i believe his reason is for trying to trade him. I do not think it is strictly a salary dump and i do not think he has given up. He is just trying to get a good return on what he thinks is an overhyped player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Are there any updates on this? I am really hoping for this trade to get done without including Middlebrooks, but last we heard (at 9 am) he wasn't invloved.
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

The Sox have since had conversations with Texas and The White Sox about relievers as well.  Lots of talk, but little action.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Offered Reddick, Prospects For Bailey : they have two really good SS's in the minors Iglesias and Boergarts and they can always trade for Hanley as the marlins are going to trade him! He has asked for more money to switch positions and Ozzie and the Marlins brass walked out of their meeting saying austa manana to Senor Ramirez...
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts won't be sticking at SS.  He projects as more of a LF.  Also, ownership is saying that Hanley never requested a new deal and say that he isn't being traded.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Oh and i do think Reddick has quite a bit of value to the Athletics seeing as Ryan Sweeney is listed as the starter for every outfield position on their depthchart and he had a total of 1 homerun last year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We might have to find out if Iggy, batting out of Scutaro's 9 hole and playing SS, can do the job in the field if the Sox need someone Scutaro can bring to our team.

[QUOTE]Boston isnt going to trade Scutaro for Madson cuz Boston need a SS too!!  Lowrie isnt the answer nor Aviles!!  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick, Lars, and Alcantara for Bailey... Get it done... By the way, sucks Chiang and Fedorowicz got traded for absolutely nothing last year... Probably could've helped in a situation like this...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

Fedorowicz and Chiang were both eligible for the Rule 5 draft if I'm not mistaken, so the Sox would have had to cut others on the 40 man roster to protect them or let someone take them.  So instead of losing them for nothing, they traded them for something.

If it would get the deal done, I would trade Reddick, Anderson, Alcantara, and Workman.  That seems like a no brainer. Unfortunately, it seems like that report was just citing what the A's wanted in the Rich Harden deal, and pushed it forward to say they might still like those guys. 

Gammons also said that the Rangers were interested in Lowrie for Uehara.  Another deal I would have already made. 

Lots of options for Cherington, just being patient.