Red Sox Offseason Moves and Possible Moves to Come

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Red Sox Offseason Moves and Possible Moves to Come

Let me recap the moves the Red Sox have made this offseason:

1. Johnny Gomes - Good addition to the team but at $5M per season when he was making $1M last year? They could have gotten him for something in $2-3M per year.

2. Mike Napoli - Overpaid and now all the physical question marks, including the hip.

3. Shane Victorino - Overpaid significantly to the tune of $13M per year. Why?

4. Ryan Dempster - In negotiations, after Dempster and his agent rejected the Red Sox offer of $25/2. Why do they want a guy who has shown he was ineffective in AL, will be 36 years old during the 1st year of the contract, was a tool for not accepting a trade by the Cubs to the Braves last year, and lastly are upping the ante. 

With the team not going anywhere in 2013, and youth on the way, why why why?

This is another Red Sox PR move by Lucchino to "show the fans that we are spending money and have a payroll to support the highest ticket prices in baseball".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Red Sox Offseason Moves and Possible Moves to Come

These guys seem like placeholders until Bradley/Brentz/Barnes/Boegarts, etc. are ready to go.

Still, would have been nice to see one move for a younger talent. I guess there's still time.

The Tigers are a good team that could easily go to the WS this year, wonder if they would be interested in a Porcello/Ellsbury type deal. Even though they all reay have Jackson, adding Ellsbury to the outfiled could put them over the top, and land the Sox a decent young pitcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These guys seem like placeholders until Bradley/Brentz/Barnes/Boegarts, etc. are ready to go.

Still, would have been nice to see one move for a younger talent. I guess there's still time.

The Tigers are a good team that could easily go to the WS this year, wonder if they would be interested in a Porcello/Ellsbury type deal. Even though they all reay have Jackson, adding Ellsbury to the outfiled could put them over the top, and land the Sox a decent young pitcher.

[/QUOTE]

the sox are going to resign jacoby after 2013. they're not going to trade him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

Luis Tiant was 35 years old when he led the Red Sox into the World Series in 1975. The Sox picked him up off of the scrap heap in 1971 and he posted a 1 win 7 loss season. By today’s standards Boston fans would have run him out of town before he had a chance to become an icon and one of the most beloved players ever in Boston. While Ryan Dempster is no Tiant, He is a bulldog on the mound who would at least fight for a win every time he would go to the mound. Living in the Chicago area I have watched him pitch with little to no support without complaining and giving the Cubs a chance to win in most of his outings. Is he a top of the rotation pitcher? NO, but he is a scrapper who hates to lose!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the sox are going to resign jacoby after 2013. they're not going to trade him

[/QUOTE]

I hope so. He needs to have a really good and healthy year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BLOCKBUSTER COMETH !!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BLOCKBUSTER COMETH !!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

now that dempster looks to be our 5th starter don't expect a trade unless we sign hamilton/swisher and need to shed an OF'er

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I'm disappointed in the Nation. These guys have all been signed to 2 or 3 year deals. If they produce great. If they are mediocre the Sox can trade them and the young guys will be ready. Every one of the signees will have a positive influence on the young guys. That may be their mission in addition to helping the team win. 

Would you rather have CC, AGon, Punto  and Beckett? I would like to have AGon but he had to go to move the others?

I like the potential of Rubby, Webster and Sands. I like them along with Barnes, Boggie, JBJ, Cecchini and Brentz. If the guys we signed can make us competitive and WMB and Ortiz can have productive years we may be okay.

We need Swish if they are serious about the season and another FA pitcher signing.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This Boston Globe report recalls the euphoria after the blockbuster trade on August 25:

In one swoop, the Red Sox exercised their three highest-paid players and can now rebuild a team that hasn'™t won a playoff game since 2008. "The key is that we are absolutely committed to building the best team we can in 2013 and beyond and we'™re going to do that in the most disciplined way possible," Cherington said. ""œWhen we'™ve been at our best we'™ve made good decisions, disciplined decisions [and found] value, whether it's in the free agent market or trade market."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/08/25/red-sox-dodgers-trade-deal-completed/w1K2QutOuDppsjjZhChMzO/story.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This was an article published in the Dallas paper after Dempster and Hamilton signings:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20121213-ex-rangers-starter-ryan-dempster-joining-napoli-uehara-on-the-red-sox.ece

Say what you want about Dempster give the guy a chance. He may have had a 5 ERA with Texas but he was 7-3. Just win baby that's all. I'm happy he's Dempster not Beckett.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

We hate big contract bums on long contracts(Crawford, Beckett), we hate overpaying mid level free agents to keep them on shorter term contracts(Dempster, Victorino), and we really hate mid level bums on elite talent contracts (Lackey, Drew). 

Free agency is always a gamble, unless you find the next Big Papi, and all teams end up overpaying for Free Agents.  The good thing about the moves this off season is that they are all short term.  I don't love all the moves but I understand them and like that they provide flexibility to going forward.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

i dont like the moves......it doesnt say much when gomes is your starting leftfielder......with the money spent on him and victorino.....we could have signed hamilton..by adding another million.....thats henrys gas money for his yacht..........i dont understand the moves......wake up people

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i dont like the moves......it doesnt say much when gomes is your starting leftfielder......with the money spent on him and victorino.....we could have signed hamilton..by adding another million.....thats henrys gas money for his yacht..........i dont understand the moves......wake up people

[/QUOTE]

13+ 5=18 a year for 5 overlapping seasons.

Hamilton got 25 a year for 5 straight seasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We hate big contract bums on long contracts(Crawford, Beckett), we hate overpaying mid level free agents to keep them on shorter term contracts(Dempster, Victorino), and we really hate mid level bums on elite talent contracts (Lackey, Drew). 

Free agency is always a gamble, unless you find the next Big Papi, and all teams end up overpaying for Free Agents.  The good thing about the moves this off season is that they are all short term.  I don't love all the moves but I understand them and like that they provide flexibility to going forward.

[/QUOTE]

This ^^

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

13+ 5=18 a year for 5 overlapping seasons.

Hamilton got 25 a year for 5 straight seasons.

[/QUOTE]

You can talk about dollar figures and length of contracts , but that does not equate to performance on the field. Gomes and Victorino are not even remotely in the same class as Hamilton. Do we want a winning team , or are we happier just playing around with numbers ? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Placeholders are a waste of money and offer no hope.  Just advance the kids - because these stiffs they signed will not win anything

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Seems like there is a collective amnesia around here.  Yes, the Sox should have signed Hamilton, Grienke and traded for Mauer.  Because nothing bad can possibly happen when a team loads up on high priced talent.

The moves that were made were not particularly splashy but that doesn't mean they can't improve the team. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Which is better: Dempster and Vctorino at 26 million or Josh Hamilton at 25 million?

Would anyone actually take the twos stiffs at 26 million per year? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which is better: Dempster and Vctorino at 26 million or Josh Hamilton at 25 million?

[/QUOTE]

Dempster and Victorino cost 60 million.  Hamilton 125.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dempster and Victorino cost 60 million.  Hamilton 125.

[/QUOTE]

On a yearly basis - for the next two years which is better 26 million for dempster and victorino or 25 million for Hamilton?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Kind of a strange way to look at things. Rather than sign a great player to a longer contract , sign a few mediocrities to short term contracts. That way , you won't have to put up with their failure for too long. Then , when they leave , repeat the process.  A sure fire recipe for a losing team.  And , you wind up spending just as much money.  As for me , I would rather take a shot with Hamilton than spend the money on the Dempsters and Victorinos.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kind of a strange way to look at things. Rather than sign a great player to a longer contract , sign a few mediocrities to short term contracts. That way , you won't have to put up with their failure for too long. Then , when they leave , repeat the process.  A sure fire recipe for a losing team.  And , you wind up spending just as much money.  As for me , I would rather take a shot with Hamilton than spend the money on the Dempsters and Victorinos.  

[/QUOTE]

...or better yet, we should have made the Myers deal happen with us instead of TB and just shoot for 2014 and beyond.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...or better yet, we should have made the Myers deal happen with us instead of TB and just shoot for 2014 and beyond.

[/QUOTE] B I N G O  !!!