Red Sox Offseason Moves and Possible Moves to Come

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Red Sox Offseason Moves and Possible Moves to Come

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kind of a strange way to look at things. Rather than sign a great player to a longer contract , sign a few mediocrities to short term contracts. That way , you won't have to put up with their failure for too long. Then , when they leave , repeat the process.  A sure fire recipe for a losing team.  And , you wind up spending just as much money.  As for me , I would rather take a shot with Hamilton than spend the money on the Dempsters and Victorinos.  

[/QUOTE]

...or better yet, we should have made the Myers deal happen with us instead of TB and just shoot for 2014 and beyond.

[/QUOTE]

That would have been a plan.  

Instead, look for a 9 year anniversary celebration in Fenway sometime in August.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Kind of a strange way to look at things. Rather than sign a great player to a longer contract , sign a few mediocrities to short term contracts. That way , you won't have to put up with their failure for too long. Then , when they leave , repeat the process.  A sure fire recipe for a losing team.  And , you wind up spending just as much money.  As for me , I would rather take a shot with Hamilton than spend the money on the Dempsters and Victorinos.  

[/QUOTE]

They signed big names to big deals and couldn't win. You would have hated Mueller, Millar, Ortiz, Walker ten years ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which is better: Dempster and Vctorino at 26 million or Josh Hamilton at 25 million?

Would anyone actually take the twos stiffs at 26 million per year? 

[/QUOTE]

Dempster and Victorino cost 60 million.  Hamilton 125.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what kind of math you learned but Victorino and Denpster total 65.5M. Besides it's better to compare Victorino and Napoli at 78M.

It would be easier to unload a Hamilton contract than either one of those.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They signed big names to big deals and couldn't win. You would have hated Mueller, Millar, Ortiz, Walker ten years ago.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think those guys got anywhere near the money the Sox are paying for platoon players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let me recap the moves the Red Sox have made this offseason:

1. Johnny Gomes - Good addition to the team but at $5M per season when he was making $1M last year? They could have gotten him for something in $2-3M per year.

2. Mike Napoli - Overpaid and now all the physical question marks, including the hip.

3. Shane Victorino - Overpaid significantly to the tune of $13M per year. Why?

4. Ryan Dempster - In negotiations, after Dempster and his agent rejected the Red Sox offer of $25/2. Why do they want a guy who has shown he was ineffective in AL, will be 36 years old during the 1st year of the contract, was a tool for not accepting a trade by the Cubs to the Braves last year, and lastly are upping the ante. 

With the team not going anywhere in 2013, and youth on the way, why why why?

This is another Red Sox PR move by Lucchino to "show the fans that we are spending money and have a payroll to support the highest ticket prices in baseball".

[/QUOTE]

This is like I said to Bill, you can't make up your own reality.  For example, you don't have the foggiest idea of what Gomes' offers were, unless you're his agent.  If you're his agent, I apologize.

IRT Dempster, you claim he is ineffective in the AL.  He was 9-4 with a 4.30 against AL teams.  His ERA in Arlington, a hitters' park, was 4.88.  And most of the damage came in just two games after the trade, surrendering 8 to LA and NY.  After that, he had a 4.01 ERA.

I don't disagree that it was a lot of money for someone who might be league-average of slightly better, but he should be okay.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.