Red Sox owner John Henry made the following comments on the meeting story by Yahoo:-Are you buying it?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Henry answers Yahoo story-Are you buying it?

WEEI this morning; Passon said this morning on D&C he was told what he wrote by one player. the meeting has been confirmed. Henry said what was said this morning by Remy, as relayed to him by Pedroia. Passon also admitted whatever was supposedly written by Pedroia, has never seen by anyone, including himself

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Red Sox owner John Henry made the following comments on the meeting story by Yahoo:-Are you buying it?

Less verbage.

More action.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Red Sox owner John Henry made the following comments on the meeting story by Yahoo:-Are you buying it?

Yeah, I believe it.

I wonder if it was Shoppach who was the snitch this time. He had issues with Bobby V over playing time, and knew he wasn't here for the long term, so what did he have to lose.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Does it matter who the "snitch" was? Does it matter he said she said? Nope. What matters is doing a momentary fix--the only way that can be done is firing Bobby Valentine. I see no other way to at least attempt to turn things around this late in a season. It happens all the time, and if BV's feelings are hurt--tell him to keep his salary and go back to TV.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox owner John Henry made the following comments on the meeting story by Yahoo:-Are you buying it?:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I believe it. I wonder if it was Shoppach who was the snitch this time. He had issues with Bobby V over playing time, and knew he wasn't here for the long term, so what did he have to lose.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I wondered the same, Roy. Shoppach knew he was being shopped before the trade deadline, then placed on waivers. Remy said last night during the game he didnt know anything about what was reported in the yahoo article, but he said ownership had regular meetings with the players, since taking over 10 years ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Honestly, this drama has gone far enough.

It is way past time for the media to stop subverting the players, the owners , the manager and the coaches. All the clamor to be first to "break the story" leads to inaccuracy, guesswork and fingerpointing that does nothing to improve the situation.

Hell, we know the team has been struggling for a long time. We really don't need these analysts, sportwriters, and commentaters making a bad situation even worse by creating even more discontent and distractions then already exist.

Frank Zappa once titled an LP, 'Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar' , it's time for everyone to just 'shut up and play baseball.' Ths means players, coaches, managers, owners and especially the media. We want news from "on the field" hopefully good news. We don't need to know what goes on behind the scenes. Save that stuff for bogus reality shows and Hollywood trash magazines.

Shut up and play!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox owner John Henry made the following comments on the meeting story by Yahoo:-Are you buying it?:
    [QUOTE]Does it matter who the "snitch" was? Does it matter he said she said? Nope. What matters is doing a momentary fix--the only way that can be done is firing Bobby Valentine. I see no other way to at least attempt to turn things around this late in a season. It happens all the time, and if BV's feelings are hurt--tell him to keep his salary and go back to TV.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

it may matter, danny. the player apparently broke code and went to a reporter about clubhouse issues. Getting rid of Valentine won't fix that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

wait, now we are worried about breaking "code." Seriously? Now it's ok to play by the team,clubhouse rules? The code was broken in July, 2008...Remember that month? I'll tell you exactly what happened. The Sox players and Tito got together and the players voted Manny off the island. Where was the "code" back then? From that point on, the players ran the show. You know because Abraham said that "Manny was an obstacle to success." .... The worst thing Manny ever did in terms of talking to the media was when he said he was "unhappy." But he was the anti-christ, just like Nomar. Rules were broken long ago, rules will continue to be broken. The Sox are broken. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Before you answer, I do know what you meant--reporters were not supposed to be privy of the monthly secret chats of the Sox roundtable...i know that is what you meant by code. I'm just saying, all the private stuff is ugly and remains ugly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]Does it matter who the "snitch" was? Does it matter he said she said? Nope. What matters is doing a momentary fix--the only way that can be done is firing Bobby Valentine. I see no other way to at least attempt to turn things around this late in a season. It happens all the time, and if BV's feelings are hurt--tell him to keep his salary and go back to TV.

"What Tom, Larry and I heard in the player meeting was one overriding sentiment. Players felt responsible for the record. They weren't blaming injuries or anyone but themselves. At the same time they openly spoke about what could improve in addition to their play. They made substantive points. We addressed those points. No one in that meeting at any time took the position that Bobby should be or needed to be replaced.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Honestly, this drama has gone far enough. It is way past time for the media to stop subverting the players, the owners , the manager and the coaches. All the clamor to be first to "break the story" leads to inaccuracy, guesswork and fingerpointing that does nothing to improve the situation. Hell, we know the team has been struggling for a long time. We really don't need these analysts, sportwriters, and commentaters making a bad situation even worse by creating even more discontent and distractions then already exist. Frank Zappa once titled an LP, 'Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar' , it's time for everyone to just 'shut up and play baseball.' Ths means players, coaches, managers, owners and especially the media. We want news from "on the field" hopefully good news. We don't need to know what goes on behind the scenes. Save that stuff for bogus reality shows and Hollywood trash magazines. Shut up and play!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Why do people believe Yahoo more than they believe the clubhouse version?  Why not ask the question, is there in fact a source?  Pedey's earned my and other's credibility through his play; what's this reporter done?  How many of us even knew his name before this article ran?

Like J-Bay said, shut up and play some freaking baseball.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Pinstripezac always prefers to believe that the Sox are dysfunctional, in chaos, turmoil, and that the tabloid articles are true and accurate. But then Pinstripezac has a vested since he is a Yankee troll.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Photoshop brought to you by troll Pinstripezac / 2004Idiots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I accept JH's take on the meetings---the fact that the meetings took place 2  + weeks ago and Yahoo just printed it is suspect to me. Things had all but quieted down then someone feels the need to stir the pot.

Now I would like to have JH, TW and LL be as candid on the sellout streak...

Be honest with the public, explain the relationship with ACE and STUB HUB and the other ticket vendors so the public knows what is going on when you see, what appears to be several thousand empty seats, but through some magic those seats really had fannies in them for sellout purposes.

If we are really being open, honest and direct lets get the facts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]wait, now we are worried about breaking "code." Seriously? Now it's ok to play by the team,clubhouse rules? The code was broken in July, 2008...Remember that month? I'll tell you exactly what happened. The Sox players and Tito got together and the players voted Manny off the island. Where was the "code" back then? From that point on, the players ran the show. You know because Abraham said that "Manny was an obstacle to success." .... The worst thing Manny ever did in terms of talking to the media was when he said he was "unhappy." But he was the anti-christ, just like Nomar. Rules were broken long ago, rules will continue to be broken. The Sox are broken. 

if I recall correctly, danny, and I believe I do, Theo was the one who called the players meeting, regarding manny. Was a long time coming and it was decided by the FO and Francona,  they took a vote. I recall him saying more than he was unhappy, said he wanted out of Boston, and he got it.  I do think what happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas. no good can come from bring it home with you. I think its an unwritten rule in MLB and a good one. running to a reporter equates to telling the teacher.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]Photoshop brought to you by troll Pinstripezac / 2004Idiots.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Inanity and redundancy brought to you by pike.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Boy oh boy.

"Rushing to break the story leads to innacurracy". What, exactly, has been innacurate, at all, during the season?

-The toxicity of the clubhouse?
    -The disconnect between players and BV?
    -The terrible communication throught the organization?
    -Lackey drinking beer, in the clubhouse, on the road?
    -'Someone' throwing sunflower seeds into a coach's face?
    -Questioning Beckett's conditioning?

And people believe Henry? He "refuted anyone called for BV to be replaced." I'm sorry, where was that reported? I read Passan's column, he never explicitly said ANYOEN called for BV's firing. Mostly that they "blasted" him, and "didn't WANT to play for him." In no way did it get reported that anyone called for his firing. Was that IMPLIED? Seemingly, but it wasn't stated. Henry is no dummy, he pays people to write those releases, the words were chosen very carefully. Oh, or should we read into Passan's column, but then take Henry's words at total face value? Yeah, that makes sense.

I can't believe anyone is STILL looking for excuses for this team.

Keep defending the people as the spit in your face. Unreal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Passan wrote basically the truth, and Pedroia and others have been in PR fix mode ever since. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox owner John Henry made the following comments on the meeting story by Yahoo:-Are you buying it? : it may matter, danny. the player apparently broke code and went to a reporter about clubhouse issues. Getting rid of Valentine won't fix that.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

It would be a mistake to fire Valentine now, simply because it would appear as though it was related to the whiney fat cats running to the owner. While he may deserve to be fired, now is not the time. I would announce that he is going to be extended for another season right now, then, if he is to be fired (and that may be the best thing ONLY because of his tactical error rate and a couple of poor decisions with what was said to the media), do it much much later via the resignation route.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Passan had an agenda with that article--to add fuel to the impetus to fire Bobby V.  He was right the meeting took place and that views were exchanged, etc, but I think he is guilty of coloring things to fit his thesis about Bobby V, to say nothing of getting his byline spread over MLB and sports in general.  Muckrakers live for moments like this.

I find it incredible that any player on any MLB team would say in a team meeting he could not play for his manager.   What would be the point?  To reveal your complete gutlessness?  To let people know you need to be tucked into bed at night?  Youk may have thought he couldn't play for Bobby V--even though Bobby V bent over backward to get Youk into the lineup at both 3B and 1B--but he would have had the good sense not to say so in a team meeting. 

John Henry's rejoinder is credible to me because sometimes teams need to have meetings like this. The Sox, who have had winning seasons every season since goodness knows when, are in serious danger of finishing under .500, let alone not get into the playoffs. 

Pedroia's comments also makes sense.  It's all on the players because that is almost always the case.  It was last year in September when the most successful manager in Sox history presided over the worst September finish in MLB history (or something like that). 

None of the above means Bobby V won't get fired at the end of the season.  If the Sox finish under .500, for example, it's hard to fire the whole darn team. 
    Fairly or unfairly, managers pay the price. 

Sections
Shortcuts