Red Sox owner John Henry rips Marlins on Twitter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Red Sox owner John Henry rips Marlins on Twitter

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

The Marlins were 79-83 in 2002 when Henry sold them. The following year they were 91-71 and won the WS.

Pike, I am aware of that.  I'm also aware  - as are most people on this board - of most of the "facts" you copied and pasted from wiki earlier.

What's your point?

Not true, the subject of John Henry as owner of the Marlin has been discussed on many threads over the years. The forum mentality was that he made a huge profit there and dumped them / selling them. The forum mentality thought that he sold them after the WS championship instead of before. That was not the case.

He did not kick sand in the face of the Marlins fans since they won the WS AFTER he left. He made only 2 percent per year as owner there which was below the inflation rate. Why do you consider that to be evil or wrong?

The Marlins won a WS in 1997 ( two years before he got there) and in 2003 ( the year after he left). Very few in the forum were aware of that. Many in the forum had opinions that he took advantage of the situation and it is not true.

I have no idea of the "forum mentality" on this issue, nor any interest in it, nor of any such previous discussions here.  My assumption has always been that he started buying his way into MLB from the minors in the 80s, and ended up buying the Sox.  Fair enough! Caveat emptor et auctor, mutherfvkkas!

My only point was that a guy that used to own weak little teams like the South East Tuscon Master Batters, the Miami Marlins and a piece of the New York Yankees should have a bit more circumspection and class than to attack them when they're down.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Hey I run a business to make money.  I guess I'm a bad person....or am I only a bad person if I decide to sell the business?

Maybe people shouldn't sell their stock either for a profit. 

I geddit, Hugh, I do.  FFS, my main job is in investment banking and I own an indie record label.  But it seems a bit rich to me when John Henry kicks sand in the face of the skinny guy on South Beach he used to (relatively) be instead of putting his hand up and saying "They're right, but we all do it, let's all stop or agree to change the rules."

Hypocrisy is a terrible thing.

Loria is more like the snot-nosed brat that won't stop whining about being poor and then bullies the 3rd graders for their lunch money, not the skinny guy on the beach, minding his own business.

Loria is the last owner I'd feel sorry for.

Ask the other owners, who actually put their revenue sharing money back into their teams, how they feel about the weasel.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The Marlins were 79-83 in 2002 when Henry sold them. The following year they were 91-71 and won the WS.

Pike, I am aware of that.  I'm also aware  - as are most people on this board - of most of the "facts" you copied and pasted from wiki earlier.

What's your point?

Not true, the subject of John Henry as owner of the Marlin has been discussed on many threads over the years. The forum mentality was that he made a huge profit there and dumped them / selling them. The forum mentality thought that he sold them after the WS championship instead of before. That was not the case.

He did not kick sand in the face of the Marlins fans since they won the WS AFTER he left. He made only 2 percent per year as owner there which was below the inflation rate. Why do you consider that to be evil or wrong?

The Marlins won a WS in 1997 ( two years before he got there) and in 2003 ( the year after he left). Very few in the forum were aware of that. Many in the forum had opinions that he took advantage of the situation and it is not true.

I have no idea of the "forum mentality" on this issue, nor any interest in it, nor of any such previous discussions here.  My assumption has always been that he started buying his way into MLB from the minors in the 80s, and ended up buying the Sox.  Fair enough! Caveat emptor et auctor, mutherfvkkas!

My only point was that a guy that used to own weak little teams like the South East Tuscon Master Batters, the Miami Marlins and a piece of the New York Yankees should have a bit more circumspection and class than to attack them when they're down.

Fair enough. You were zeroing in on the cryptic twitter comment. I was defending John Henry as owner of the Marlins from 1999-2002.  I guess that we were discussing different topics.

I will agree with your first, third and fourth sentences.  ;-)

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:

Cherrington did apologize to Marlins.

MLB fined the Red Sox.

Marlins should apologize to their fans for the team that they put on the team.

This forum concurred on that on the old thread.

Next thread?

I don't recall the Red Sox apologizing for 2012

Ahahaha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

MLB fined the Red Sox.

Next thread?

... Or cutting ticket prices...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

...or firing Lucchino, who compounded the mess by hiring Bobby V and thus wasted alot of people's money......

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

John Henry bought the Marlins in 1999 for $150 mil. and sold it in 2002 for $158.5 mil.. A profit of $8.5 mil. or 5 percent in three years. Probably his worst return on any of his investments.

Great point.  He is selling if not already sold the property of which the Boston Globe sits on for just about what he paid for the whole paper and property.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

MLB fined the Red Sox.

Next thread?

On Paper that team was well constructed, they underperformed and ownership took advantage of a buyer willing to overspend...the end result was a world series the following year.

Do you think the Sox fans want an apology for that????

Now how about the Marlin fans when their team goes into sell mode; do you think they are proud of the team they follow in the years after a sell off?

See the difference???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

John Henry bought the Marlins in 1999 for $150 mil. and sold it in 2002 for $158.5 mil.. A profit of $8.5 mil. or 5 percent in three years. Probably his worst return on any of his investments.

Henry's best investment is marrying a very beautiful woman half his age.   Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Maybe.  But short-term only.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Married her in 2009.  5 years is a long-term contract, by baseball standards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Married her in 2009.  5 years is a long-term contract, by baseball standards.

Sure, but the investment was front-loaded with her youthful hotness.  When she loses that and he goes in search of the next lovely young thing, and the inevitable divorce comes and she takes half, the investment suddenly doesn't look so good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Sure, but the investment was front-loaded with her youthful hotness.  When she loses that and he goes in search of the next lovely young thing, and the inevitable divorce comes and she takes half, the investment suddenly doesn't look so good.

But only John knows what her WAR is. Wink  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

he better be taking his vitamins...you know she's gonna go all out during her "walk year" :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

he better be taking his vitamins...you know she's gonna go all out during her "walk year" :-)

LOL

Good lord!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Doesn't John own the Globe and therefore this forum? Is he reading such comments?

Wouldn't you like to know.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Doesn't John own the Globe and therefore this forum? Is he reading such comments?

No problem.

I think Jetes can take him!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

No problem.

LOL..thanks 4B's, i'd have to catch him alone tho, if they travel in a group, i won't be able to get around LL's restraining order :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

LOL!!!  Laughing

She threw John a screwball and he then swinged and missed.   LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

No problem.

LOL..thanks 4B's, i'd have to catch him alone tho, if they travel in a group, i won't be able to get around LL's restraining order :-)

LOL

I'm sure JH has a posse!

Sections
Shortcuts