Red Sox owners need to wake up or sell out-Do you agree?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Red Sox owners need to wake up or sell out-Do you agree?

I agree - I want a guy who made his fortune in the hedge fund business to get more involved in the day to day operations of the team.  I want JH to be more like Jerry Jones.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

You  hire the right people and let them do their jobs. The question going forward is two pronged, obviously team needs a manager, but to me the greater question is what to do with Theo, is it time to move on him. IMO I'd let, even encourage him, to take Cub job.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox owners need to wake up or sell out-Do you agree?:
    I agree - I want a guy who made his fortune in the hedge fund business to get more involved in the day to day operations of the team.  I want JH to be more like Jerry Jones.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

We need guys that care about the game and winning like Pede and Jacoby.  It was obvious guys like Wakfield, Beckett, Lester, Albers and even Youk looked out of shape this season so we do have issues.  If both Theo and Tito knew about these issues then I have no problem with them trying to rebuild the Cubs.

We need a tougher manager and a GM that can make sensible decisions and then some.  In other words don't just put a starting team on the field without addressing people like Drew, McDon and the fact our farm is very thin on starting pitchers.  Every weakness we have multiplies itself when a starter gets hurt if we have mediocre replacements.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox owners need to wake up or sell out-Do you agree? : We need guys that care about the game and winning like Pede and Jacoby.  It was obvious guys like Wakfield, Beckett, Lester, Albers and even Youk looked out of shape this season so we do have issues.  If both Theo and Tito knew about these issues then I have no problem with them trying to rebuild the Cubs. We need a tougher manager and a GM that can make sensible decisions and then some.  In other words don't just put a starting team on the field without addressing people like Drew, McDon and the fact our farm is very thin on starting pitchers.  Every weakness we have multiplies itself when a starter gets hurt if we have mediocre replacements.
    Posted by craze4sox

Albers may have been out of shape, but 2011 was arguably his best season.

Wakefield was signed to pitch 154 innings.  He pitched more innings this year than he has since 2008.

Youk had a sports hernia.  How was being in shape going to prevent that?

No excuse for Lester and Beckett.  They should have come into ST in the best shape every and did what they had to do to stay in shape.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox owners need to wake up or sell out-Do you agree? : Albers may have been out of shape, but 2011 was arguably his best season. Wakefield was signed to pitch 154 innings.  He pitched more innings this year than he has since 2008. Youk had a sports hernia.  How was being in shape going to prevent that? No excuse for Lester and Beckett.  They should have come into ST in the best shape every and did what they had to do to stay in shape.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Youk is one of my favorite players DirtWater but I worry the past two seasons is the beginning of the end to his career unless he either moves to DH or back to 1B somewhere.  We haven't had his services the last two years when we needed it and he really didn't have a good season this year when he did play.  Albers I agree had a decent season, leaving the Orioles I'm sure didn't hurt.  Guys like Wake and Josh had bellies like a couple 50 year old's who could care less about conditioning and Lester appeared to get heavier as well.

We need the right management staff and players who care like our 04 and 07 teams.  If that means Tito and Theo can't do it anymore due to loyalty and lack of discipline then we move on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Two world championships in the space of 4 years seems like a dream come true.

It seems like the end of a long nightmare.

But as the line from the old 'Twilight Zone' episode says, "it's just the beginning."

The 'comfort zone' that has infected this franchise is widespread. Now that we've beat the CURSE , nobody has to work hard anymore.

The team has become a Goliath (old , stupid and slow). Just waiting for a David (young, intelligent and quick) to crush it....it's happened again, the David is Tampa Bay....younger , quicker, hungrier. The Red Sox are Goliath, bloated, lazy and uncaring.

And we have John Henry , asleep at the switch, counting the money from soccer, NASCAR and the Fenway faithful, totally unaware that there are any problems whatsoever.

I agree,...don't sell out...but damn it, wake up!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A lot of nonsense on this thread.  I like conditioning and consider Ellsbury to be the perfect example of how it pays off, but there are plenty of other excellent ballplayers who are overweight, like the Tigers firstbaseman Cabrera, like AGOn, like Sabathia, Prince Fielder, most catchers, etc, etc.  Carl Crawford, on the other hand, is in great shape and had a rotten season.  J.D. Drew always looks great, and so does Reddick.  Buchholz was in excellent shape until his back went out.  Beckett looked a little heavy, but had an ERA under 3, which is pretty darn good.  Lester is also heavy, but his issue was with his control. 

John Henry is demonstrably the best owner in Red Sox history because he turned around a franchise that was broken for 86 years.  He knows how to hire good people and put them to work.  He does like Bill James stats.  He is aware of the conditioning issue, but I hope will approach it intelligently.  I completely disagree with the OP. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Tom Yawkey is, and always will be, the best owner in Red Sox history.

The man was a baseball fan and loved his players. We came so close in 1967, and it would have been far better to have won then, with a team that wasn't even given much of chance. But from top to bottom there was support, ownership , fans , managers, players...everyone loved this team, maybe more than the two championship teams of 2004 and 2007. We, who were there, will always consider them champions.

Perhaps Yawkey's only fault was loving his team too much.

John Henry is a businessman, winning is second to making money. While today's game is a business first and a game second, he is the right owner for this time and place. He just needs to care a little more about winning and a little less about profits.

Two championships do not make him the best owner in Red Sox history.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Tom Yawkey is, and always will be, the best owner in Red Sox history. The man was a baseball fan and loved his players. We came so close in 1967, and it would have been far better to have won then, with a team that wasn't even given much of chance. But from top to bottom there was support, ownership , fans , managers, players...everyone loved this team, maybe more than the two championship teams of 2004 and 2007. We, who were there, will always consider them champions. Perhaps Yawkey's only fault was loving his team too much. John Henry is a businessman, winning is second to making money. While today's game is a business first and a game second, he is the right owner for this time and place. He just needs to care a little more about winning and a little less about profits. Two championships do not make him the best owner in Red Sox history.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Great post and you may be right about Yawkey being the best owner in the history of the Red Sox.  Agree that it would have been great not to have waited until 2004 to see the Red Sox win.  In addition to 1967, what about 1986?  We definitely had a good chance of winning it all in 1986.   At least we aren't still waiting to win a championship like the fans of the Chicago Cubs. 

Sections
Shortcuts