Red Sox-Phillies: Overhyped June series!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

Red Sox-Phillies: Overhyped June series!

Good morning to my good friends on Red Sox:On the front burner.
    Reality check: It's only June 28th; don't start making reservations for the World Series games just yet.

by Scott Lauber/Boston Herald:
    "...World Series preview, right?

Not if you ask the players.

“I don’t think anybody in here said anything about a World Series preview. I don’t think anybody over there said it,” Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard said. “For us, it’s a long way to that right now, and I think for both teams, it’s going to be a great series. It’ll be fun to watch. I think it’s going to be fun for everybody. If the two of us were to meet in the World Series, that’d be great too. Right now, I think everybody’s just in the here and now. I think it’s pretty much more just hyped up for the fans. It should be a good series and exciting series.”

Added Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis, “I’m not really interested in the series other than just going out there and playing baseball. I don’t look at it as foreshadowing because both teams still have to play a lot more baseball to make it into the playoffs, let alone World Series. If it’s in October, and we’re both in the playoffs, and we’re both playing well, then we can talk about it. But until then, I think it’s a series where we have to go out and play good baseball and take two out of three and win the World Series.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Red Sox-Phillies: Overhyped June series!

This is pointless.  Do you expect players to say it is a world series preview?  These guys are professionals.  They take it one game at a time and don't get caught up in hype.  If they did, they would be amateurs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No one overhypes as much as Yankee fans. 

But this is an interesting series.  Two historic cities.  One team with the best hitting in baseball and the other with the best pitching.  One NL team and one AL.  One with the best record in MLB, and the other with almost the best record in the AL.  Both with rabid fan bases. 

As I've said too many times already, I think the Phillies have a shot at a sweep--thanks to their great pitching and a Sox lineup hurt by no slot for Ortiz and Crawford on the DL. 

But, of course, this is baseball, and anything can happen. 

And, FWIW, this tidbit:  the Sox just set a new series attendance record at the Pirates ballpark, which is now ten years old.  Reportedly, there were almost as many Sox fans as Pirates fans in attendance.  Well, almost as many. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox-Phillies: Overhyped June series!:
    [QUOTE]No one overhypes as much as Yankee fans.  But this is an interesting series.  Two historic cities.  One team with the best hitting in baseball and the other with the best pitching.  One NL team and one AL.  One with the best record in MLB, and the other with almost the best record in the AL.  Both with rabid fan bases.  As I've said too many times already, I think the Phillies have a shot at a sweep--thanks to their great pitching and a Sox lineup hurt by no slot for Ortiz and Crawford on the DL.  But, of course, this is baseball, and anything can happen.  And, FWIW, this tidbit:  the Sox just set a new series attendance record at the Pirates ballpark, which is now ten years old.  Reportedly, there were almost as many Sox fans as Pirates fans in attendance.  Well, almost as many. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

But, to the credit of the newly-inspired Buc Nation, the Pirates fans really shouted down the Sox fans at every turn and did not roll over and let RSN take over their park like many have done ... of course, it helped tat their club was sticking it to the Sox.  But still, PNC was rockin'.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

1st off, does anybody truly believe the SOX are a WS shoe-in? unless some major problems are fixed soon, the SOX will be fortunate to get in the playoffs as a wild card.
    btw, does anyone know when jon lester is due to start pitching well? his 9-4 record is the most deceiving in the league.

"no bad signing goes unpunished."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Max - I would think the opposite was true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Jesseyeric, Max is 100% correct.  You don't hear ths sox fan overhyping the sox in preseasons likes the yankees fans dose.  Sox fans is more grounded and sensible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I must admit I'm looking forward to the next three games, and this from someone who abhors inter-league play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]Jesseyeric, Max is 100% correct.  You don't hear ths sox fan overhyping the sox in preseasons likes the yankees fans dose.  Sox fans is more grounded and sensible.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Riiiiiigggghhhhhttttt!

You get it from the "reporters":

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-sox-will-challenge-1927-yankees-for-title-of-greatest-team-in-major-league-history.html

They only need to go 65 and 12 to match their record.

But I don't think the Yankees started two outfielders batting under .160 in June.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W2CGp9fQiYQ/TgXiNO4E4gI/AAAAAAAANZs/z5XVuEpvCfc/s640/_images_news_maoam_lemon.jpeg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The media are doing their jobs by hyping an undeniably marquee series between the two favorites for the World Series. The players are doing their jobs by saying it's just another series.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]   I must admit I'm looking forward to the next three games, and this from someone who abhors inter-league play.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE] hey AD, ya gotta admit though, this is one of those that once in a while fall under the exception