Red Sox Picked To Finish Third In AL East By ESPN, Sports Illustrated-Where will they finish?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Red Sox Picked To Finish Third In AL East By ESPN, Sports Illustrated-Where will they finish?

Injury and luck is always a factor. Look, if NY losses CC with an arm problem then they have problems. Tampa is going to lose a lot of close games because they cannot score runs. They dont have a closer as Farnsworth is having elbow problems now.

Red Sox match up with any American League team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Red Sox Picked To Finish Third In AL East By ESPN, Sports Illustrated-Where will they finish?

Taking off my Red Sox cap and looking it objectively, I think third is a strong possibility.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I GUARANTEE that they will finish the regular season in Baltimore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

They have finished third two years in a row , so that prediction is not surprising. Of course , we hope for better. Depends mostly on the pitching. Replacing Pap could be the biggest concern.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I think the Red Sox will be better than both the Yankees and the Rays this year. The Rays can't score. The Yankees offense is too old. Both teams will still be good, but the Red Sox have a better all-round blend of offense and defense, youth and experience. The Rays and Yankees have superior pitching, on paper, however we know that can change once injuries begin to mount. It'll be a close 1-2-3, but the Red Sox are just as likely to emerge up top as any of the others. The Blue Jays, despite all the hype they inevitably receive as a sleeper every spring training, still won't contend. The Orioles can etch their place at the bottom in stone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is where we have been since 2010 so what do we expect???

but if our young guys can get in and play well, and some of our vets rebound - we could take this whole enchilada!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This was probably b4 Bailey was hurt. the injury probably will keep him out till at least the allstar break. they are untested in the 4th and 5th starter positions, third is a very strong possibility. response to "Re: Red Sox Picked To Finish Third In AL East By ESPN, Sports Illustrated-Where will they finish?": [QUOTE]I think the Red Sox will be better than both the Yankees and the Rays this year. The Rays can't score. The Yankees offense is too old. Both teams will still be good, but the Red Sox have a better all-round blend of offense and defense, youth and experience. The Rays and Yankees have superior pitching, on paper, however we know that can change once injuries begin to mount. It'll be a close 1-2-3, but the Red Sox are just as likely to emerge up top as any of the others. The Blue Jays, despite all the hype they inevitably receive as a sleeper every spring training, still won't contend. The Orioles can etch their place at the bottom in stone. Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

I wonder why they even play any of the games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

They probably made these predictions before these new injuries. Now you add the injuries, I would have to agree. I hope I'm wrong. What would stink is if we win like 93 -96 games and finish 3rd. Oh wait, isn't this the first year of the extra wildcard? Or is it next year?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Picked To Finish Third In AL East By ESPN, Sports Illustrated-Where will they finish?:
    [QUOTE]They probably made these predictions before these new injuries. Now you add the injuries, I would have to agree. I hope I'm wrong. What would stink is if we win like 93 -96 games and finish 3rd. Oh wait, isn't this the first year of the extra wildcard? Or is it next year?
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]
    It's this year, but one of the wild cards will probably come out of the West.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

4th place

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am truthfully not optimistic about this season at all. They ended on a horrible note last year which I felt was coming early in September. They already have Crawford hurt in a slow recovery not even to mention getting his confidence back in a tough baseball town. They have players on the team with an attitude from last year like Lackey and Beckett. This team brought a new manager in to help clean things up. In the off season they went entirely cheap on picking up help in areas they needed like the 4th and 5th spot. We have Schilling opening up his mouth about the team chemistry of the players and manager. I always loved Schilling but he should keep his mouth shut after he stole 8 million dollars in 2008 and never pitched an inning. Management picked up an often injured reliever to be the closer to replace an icon like Jonathon Papelbon and he is going to be out until at least the Allstar break. They signed an idiot in Jenks who instead of taking care of himself and trying to get back spends his time in a strip club and gets locked up for DWI and he has a miserable attitude as well. I will hope for the best and be pleasantly surprised if they do beat the Yankees and Rays but I think all this stuff will carry over into this season and hurt this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

All this team had to do was sign one starting pitcher and they could have had Bard back there in the bullpen closing and eould not be in the bind they are in with Bailey being hurt before he throws one pitch in an official Red Sox game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

I think they were being generous.

4th place for this team is not out of the question.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

4th

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'm rooting for 1st but I'm picking fourth. I think this team had a pretty terrible offseason on many different levels, and I don't like the confusion I see in leadership, direction, and of course the big holes in the staff and the mystery injuries.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

3rd and out of a WC spot is a pretty reasonable prediction ....the 2nd place team in the west,either the angels or rangers will beat up on the other 3 teams in the division and pad their win totals.I see 4 teams in the east not doing a whole lot of beating up on anybody in this division except baltimore 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Red Sox Picked To Finish Third In AL East By ESPN, Sports Illustrated-Where will they finish?:
    [QUOTE]  BOSTON (CBS) — What a difference a year makes. Last spring, the Boston Red Sox were celebrated as a team that could perhaps be the best ever. Of ESPN’s 50 baseball experts, 33 of them picked the Sox to win the World Series. The Boston Herald ran a cover headline that screamed, “ Best Team Ever !” A NESN writer declared that the “ 2011 Red Sox Will Challenge 1927 Yankees for Title of Greatest Team in Major League History .” Instead of all of that, the Red Sox collapsed in September and fell short of even making the postseason. As a result, expectations have changed accordingly for 2012. ESPN’s season preview has the Red Sox finishing third in the AL East, with Tampa Bay winning the division crown and the Yankees finishing second. Of course, under the new playoff system, such a finish could still earn the Red Sox a berth in the one-game, wild-card play-in game, so all hope is not lost. ESPN lists a best-case scenario involving bounce-back years from Clay Buchholz and Carl Crawford, but the worst-case scenario is so bad that it’s almost comical. “The Great Collapse of 2011 continues despite Valentine, and by season’s end, the Boston fan base is calling for tar-and-feathering, or at least a shake-up of the Pedroia-Youkilis-Ellsbury core,” says the worst-case scenario. “The countdown continues to 2017, the end of Crawford’s monster contract.” It’s certainly hard to imagine a case much worse than that. Sports Illustrated also offered its MLB predictions this week, and SI, too, picked the Red Sox to finish third in the division with a 91-71 record (a one-win improvement over last season’s actual record). SI has the Red Sox missing out on the playoffs, with the Yankees, Tigers and Angels winning their respective divisions, and the Rays and Rangers securing the wild-card spots. SI selected the Angels over the Giants in the World Series, while ESPN has yet to release its expert picks. What will it all mean in October? Absolutely nothing, as we learned last year. It is pretty clear, though, that these Red Sox are heading into a new year without any of the added pressure that weighed on them last spring.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Could finish higher if Bobby ( all about me ) is let go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

6th place

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Third at best, that would be a very good season. With all the early injuries and the many question marks, with the emerging Jays right there, I predict 4th place.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Picked To Finish Third In AL East By ESPN, Sports Illustrated-Where will they finish?:
    [QUOTE]I think they were being generous. 4th place for this team is not out of the question.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

You're the most negative poster I've ever read.

Couple that with a smart mouth approach one cannot wonder why you are so jealous of Boston.

Perhaps it's the 7 or so championships won by Boston teams this century.

That along with a bald head that makes you look 70.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Why wouldn't they be picked to finish 3rd ? Everybody else got better while the Sox elected to stand pat & not do much at all. Finishing 3rd or 4th is a distinct possibility.

Sections
Shortcuts