Red Sox Pitching Staff - Who can you count on?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Red Sox Pitching Staff - Who can you count on?

Right now, the only guys you can count on are Lester, Aceves, Bard and Papelon.

With Beckett injured, Bedard injured, and no one else in the bullpen, that's your staff. 

If Francona wants this team to be successful, he may want to try Atchison and Bowden and see what they can do.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Red Sox Pitching Staff - Who can you count on?

Bowden will get his shot to try and prove something down the stretch.  There may be many short outings for starters coming up.  I've always liked Atchinson and I think he has a shot to make the postseason roster.

Maybe even a guy like Weiland can emerge as a valuable piece out of the pen.  Sort of like a Kyle Snyder.

I wouldn't give up on Wheeler just yet although he hasn't been good this season.

Honestly, it's just too bad that Albers had to go down hill.  He was great up until about a month ago.  It's also too bad that they lost Rich Hill.

Denny Reyes... not so much.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I'll chime in, fed up with Miller, Wakefield and Lackey.
    Start Weiland in rotation, hoping he can win a spot in playoff rotation.
    Probably too late to stretch Bowden out in time to be a starter, but they can try in case Weiland falls flat.Tazawa could come up to replace Bowden in bullpen.
    Try letting Lavarnway catch both of them, get a look at his bat AND game management, with eye toward playoff roster spot.
    IF it works, we have potential replacements at starter for Miller/ Wake/ lackey.
    If Bedard & Beckett can get healthy in two weeks, go into playoffs with rotation of Beckett, Lester,Bedard and Weiland.
    Bullpen of Papelbon,Bard,Morales,Wheeler,Aceves,Bowden and Lackey for mop-up man.Let Wakefield ride off into sunset with Drew, and send Miller to a sports psychiatrist or voodoo practitioner in the Dominican.
    Finally, can Spears play 3b over Lost-it Lowrie ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Wastefield is a rock

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stipe7676. Show stipe7676's posts

In looking at Aceves history with the Evil Empire... he has either gotten hurt in late September or failed badly in postseason... counting on him in the playoffs is a BAD idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

You can count on Jon Lester, and if he has a no-hitter in a 1-0 game going into the 6th inning you can count on Tito to pull him. Does that count as two?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I was so happy with Josh's performance this year, and coupled with how bad the rest of the staff has been (Lester aside) I had forgotton what a real ACE looks like... 

Justin Verlander  31GS  22W  5L  2.44ERA  4CG  229IP  232SO

Josh Beckett        27GS  12W  5L  2.49ERA   1CG   173IP  155SO

There is a tremndous difference between the two (this year anyhow), of course I still like Beckett and expect the best from him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Beckett's injury is overblown...just a hunch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Beckett and Bedard return healthy, these 6 might be enough in a short series:

Beckett
    Lester
    Bedard
    Papelbon
    Bard
    Aceves

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Perhaps Bucholz in the pen? That would be a nice fit into your "6" - make it 7 Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It would be nice, but he hasn't even thrown off the mound yet. I think we have a chance of another guy regaining form before the playoffs, but so far nobody is stepping up their game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Pitching Staff - Who can you count on?:
    You can count on Jon Lester, and if he has a no-hitter in a 1-0 game going into the 6th inning you can count on Tito to pull him . Does that count as two?
    Posted by BurritoT

Lester would only be pulled because he nibbles too much and his pitch count would be in the 110's already.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

has anything changed? I thought Beckett had a sprained ankle??? I don't think Bedard has a serious injury as well, isn't he only missing a start?

when it comes down to it Beckett/Lester/Bedard will anchor down the rotation pretty well.....the bullpen is hurting this team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If Beckett and Bedard return healthy, these 6 might be enough in a short series: Beckett Lester Bedard Papelbon Bard Aceves
    Posted by moonslav59

moon - That's six. I'm utterly perplexed why Francona isn't using Atchison more. He hasn't pitched that badly this year and at this point, I would view him as a better relief option than any of the names below:

Albers
    Wakefield
    Wheeler
    Miller

I don't understand why he isn't pitching more. He can be a good 5th/6th/7th inning guy.  

The problem is that there will be one game in the playoffs (assuming the Red Sox make it) that a starter lasts 6 innings and the game goes 12 innings. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Beckett and Lester.    The rest are a crapshoot.   Shaky middle relief.   Good long relief (Aceves) and back end of the bullpen with Bard and Papelbon.

Not a good recipe for a good postseason.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Except Texas, there are not much teams that have good pitching.  Yankees only have Nova/CC along with few bullpen pitchers, Boston have Lester/Beckett (assuming he is fine for post season) along with Bard/Papelbon, Detriot have Verlander along with few bullpen pitchers, etc.  

Seriously, AL teams may have weaker pitching staffs than NL, but NL teams do not have strong offense like Boston, Yankees, Texas, Detriot.  Phillies's offense do not impress me.  They rely alot with their pitching.  Same with the Braves.

I know pitching and defense win world series, but in someway, AL team can pitch well against NL cuz of NL offense is a bit weaker than AL.

So why should we are all worry about Boston's pitching!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lester, Papelbon and Aceves. That's about it!

Beckett. who knows? (ever had a spained ankle?)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So what people are saying is that the Red Sox need to rest as many pitchers as possible before the post season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Injuries are tough and always unexpected. This is what happened last year and there is not much you can do about. Can't cry over spilt milk.
    Posted by Pollyanna1964

It has definitely been very disappointing that we lost two of our five starting pitchers to injury this year.  I realize that other teams have injuries, but I would imagine that we may be the only team to lose two of their starting pitchers this season.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chez2. Show Chez2's posts

Thank you Dave for that insight. Yes the fans last March were acting too much like fans. I'll bet that they have learned their lesson by now. Shame on them.
    Posted by Pollyanna1964

Well some of the predictions were over the top but they are still a good team.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts