Red Sox Pitching

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Red Sox Pitching

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I actually think our pitching is good.

Probably in the minority, but I agree to some extent....it is not as bad as most make it out to be and hopefully with Farrell's return and familiarity with JL, he can get back to where he was. Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront and Morales, if they pitch up to potential c could be a good staff.....hate to agree with what Softy said all last year, but we probably need more offense right now.....thats why I go all out and get Hamilton and Napoli. Add those two and your lineup is, Ells (CF), Pedey(2B), Hamilton(RF), Napoli(1B), Ortiz(DH), Middlebrooks(3b), Gomes/Kalish(LF), Lava/Ross/Salty(your pick the platoon)(C) and Iggy (SS).....that is a great offense, with Iggy obviously in their for his defense, with Ciriaco first off the bench.....Defensively it is also pretty good, as long as Napoli can play an acceptable 1B.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Brawny27's comment:

The Red Sox need a Good starting pitcher to  add to our under performing rotation of last year,I expect Lester and Buc to turn it around,but in order to compete next year we need another Good starting pitcher to round out our rotation,for 3 or 4 or 5 spot!....,Sanchez,Mcarthy ,....who will it be!...,,camon Ben

They have nothing BUT 3, 4, and 5 spots. We need a #1 pitcher, an ace. And I don't see that happening this year.

I really want a definition of an "ace" from someone...

Top 30 starter.

Then how is Lester - 12th in WAR from 2010 through 2012 - not an ace?

Jon Lester ERA for 2012: 4.82. He may have previously pitched like an ace, but for a whole year he pitched like as azz. The title of "ace" is not irrevocable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The Red Sox need a Good starting pitcher to  add to our under performing rotation of last year,I expect Lester and Buc to turn it around,but in order to compete next year we need another Good starting pitcher to round out our rotation,for 3 or 4 or 5 spot!....,Sanchez,Mcarthy ,....who will it be!...,,camon Ben

They have nothing BUT 3, 4, and 5 spots. We need a #1 pitcher, an ace. And I don't see that happening this year.

An ace has many qualities that define them. He should be able to hold the other team under 3 runs a game on a consistent basis even without his best stuff. He would have to play the role of a stopper and excel when pitching after the team lost its previous game. He would have to own the inside of the plate so that batters couldn’t dig in on him. He would need to be fearless and not let bad luck affect his game. This includes poor play by the team! He would need to be a leader who would ignite a passion for winning within the clubhouse.  

In the 45 years I have watched the Sox I believe we have seen them have 4 aces. Jim Lonborg for 1 magical season carried the Sox on his back and without his contributions we would not have had the impossible dream. Luis Tiant was the prototype Ace Always pitching his best when the team needed it most. Also opposing pitchers were afraid to hit our players knowing full well that Tiant would retaliate! Roger Clemens was so dominating for most of his time with the sox, we fans counted his starts as wins well in advance of the game.  He was not a rah rah guy but led by example. And that leads us to Pedro. This man of small stature has more heart than most players who ever played the game. To dominate the league like he did in the middle of the steroid era is nothing short of amazing. Imagine if he pitched before they lowered the mound, he would have dominated as well or maybe even better than Bob Gibson.

These were special pitchers of which at any one time there may be 4 or 5 throughout both leagues combined. Many times there were only 1 or 2. We need to concentrate on acquiring pitchers who have good stuff and hope that they can develop into players who will battle to keep us in the game. That is all you can ask of a pitcher. They will be who they are and maybe 1 will surprise and become the next Pedro!   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Boston did made their offers to these free agency pitchers, but these guys are still looking for the best offer.  Now the latest rumors is that Tigers (not sure if it is true) offered Sanchez for 4yrs/48mm, but Sanchez still wanted at least 5 years contract.  So therefore, Sanchez is still looking around.  McCarthy already scared away alof of teams due he had a surgery after a line drive hit right on his head.  Boston did try to make a trade for Josh Johnson, among others, but the asking price is ridiculous too high.

I think they should just go after Dan Haren!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think with the addition of Napoli, the signing of David Ross, and Lavarnway seemingly close.....a Salty trade is on the Horizon.....the Mets are desperate for a catcher.....as are other teams, including the Yankees......the Mets may look to move a Niese or RA Dickey.....they are also deperate for any BP help they can get.....there is a fit there. Living in NJ, I saw Dickey alot last year, and he is not a Tim Wakefield type knuckleballer.....he can and sneaks Fast balls by alot of hitters.....plus he is unflappable.....has pitched well against the Yankees and for that matter has a 9-3 Interleague play record....so he can have Succeess in the AL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I believe an Ace is a top 10-15 starter, while a number 1 is a top 30 starter. Thats my definition anyway. I see  Dan Haren as a potential Ace if healthy and Anibal Sanchez as a rock solid number 1 starter.

I think Haren at one time was "ace" material because he was the guy you'd look to to stop a losing streak and would be comfortable being the starter in the 1st game of a playoff series.  Although we don't know how his back is, I'm sure they are doing their diligence with his medicals.  Two years with an option seems about right, but the Sox will have to overpay because he prefers the west coast.

Anibal Sanchez is not an ace.  He is a middle-of-the-rotation guy.  A good pitcher, but not a true stopper.  If he was, he'd be looking for Hamels/Greinke/Cain money and years. (7/125+).  He is looking for 5/75 or 6/90.  Unfortunately that is the going rate for a #3 starter these days.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Now that another hole is fill in the roster with the Napoli signing. This the time for BC to make a wise aggressive splash for a top pitcher. It is just wait and see now but my hunch BC next move will be pitching both starting and bull pen.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"Dan haren, meet the disabled list"

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They should sign Brian Wilson in case Bailey implodes again, low risk and they have to do better than a John Lackey comeback. Anibel Sanchez would help or a trade for a good number 2 pitcher. Napoli signing hurts Yankees, I believe they were going to take a look at him.

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I think Lackey will bounce back in 2013.  My guess is he will finish 12-10 with a 4.50 ERA. 

Bailey deserves another chance to close since he was hurt this year.  If he does not do well, then have Tazawa close instead. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

First of all, Boston did made their offers to these free agency pitchers, but these guys are still looking for the best offer.  Now the latest rumors is that Tigers (not sure if it is true) offered Sanchez for 4yrs/48mm, but Sanchez still wanted at least 5 years contract.  So therefore, Sanchez is still looking around.  McCarthy already scared away alof of teams due he had a surgery after a line drive hit right on his head.  Boston did try to make a trade for Josh Johnson, among others, but the asking price is ridiculous too high.

I think they should just go after Dan Haren!!

yes i second  this  he will be solid pitch alot of  ining  but will they  go after him and will they get him

• You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Ace wouldn't mean going 1-5 down the stretch with the playoff spot on the line in 2011. Ace for me is a guy who can dominate at times but also give his team a chance to win even when he doesn't have his best stuff.

I believe an Ace is a top 10-15 starter, while a number 1 is a top 30 starter. Thats my definition anyway. I see  Dan Haren as a potential Ace if healthy and Anibal Sanchez as a rock solid number 1 starter.

Most definitions seem to peg Lester as an ace. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

All the Pitchers on this list except for Haren, can go 9 innings. When was Lester's last complete game? This coming year I really going to keep an eye on this Pitching Staff, with Farrell back. I dont rate Lester as an Ace, never have. He doesn't stop losing streaks. The best for me a #2 Starter. For me an Ace is almost an Automatic win, or a Very, very well pitched game CONSISTENTLY. Martinez comes to mind. Lester is not even close.

Lester had 3 Complete games last year. You're right, He wasn't a great Stopper last year, but he has been years previous. He had a bad year. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts