Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster

What blockbuster trade do you think the Red Sox and Rangers were discussing at the trade deadline? I kind of think Ben must have been thinking of how he could finagle Martin Perez from the Rangers while getting Texas to take Beckett's contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster

I hope he was asking for Olt, Perez and another (Scheppers? Martin?)

Those should be minimum demands, assuming any mention of Profar is an immediate deal breaker...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster:
    [QUOTE]I hope he was asking for Olt, Perez and another (Scheppers? Martin?) Those should be minimum demands, assuming any mention of Profar is an immediate deal breaker...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]The Red Sox don't need Jurrickson Profar. Deven Marrerro is set to rocket through the minor league system in 2013 much like JBJ has this year. What we currently lack is stud arms for the rotation. So any trade talks with Nolan Ryan would have to include Martin Perez, I would think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster:
    [QUOTE]What blockbuster trade do you think the Red Sox and Rangers were discussing at the trade deadline? I kind of think Ben must have been thinking of how he could finagle Martin Perez from the Rangers while getting Texas to take Beckett's contract.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Hey monsieur...Hope it wasn't Nolan Ryan for Beckett, with G.W. as the player to be named later...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : The Red Sox don't need Jurrickson Profar. Deven Marrerro is set to rocket through the minor league system in 2013 much like JBJ has this year. What we currently lack is stud arms for the rotation. So any trade talks with Nolan Ryan would have to include Martin Perez, I would think.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

It not a question of need.  It's a question of talent.

They really don't need Olt, either.  But you take the best players you can get in a deal like this, and then flip those cheaper parts like Profar and Olt that are affordable to any team, and get the player(s) who better fit your needs.

Like, say, take Olt and then deal him to Atlanta, whose 40yo 3B is finally leaving so he can get into Cooperstown, and see if you can get Randall Delgado for him...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hamilton, Darvish and Yong for Crawford, Lackey and Aviles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : It not a question of need.  It's a question of talent. They really don't need Olt, either.  But you take the best players you can get in a deal like this, and then flip those cheaper parts like Profar and Olt that are affordable to any team, and get the player(s) who better fit your needs. Like, say, take Olt and then deal him to Atlanta, whose 40yo 3B is finally leaving so he can get into Cooperstown, and see if you can get Randall Delgado for him...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]Fair enough. I would like to see what Martin Perez could do with Rich Sauveur though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Hamilton, Darvish and Yong for Crawford, Lackey and Aviles.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Maybe we can get them to throw in Jessica Biel, too?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

First of all, by the absolute lack of information re: who would be coming back in return, I must speculate that the talks never got too serious.

I think this one died in the "concept stage."  However, I cannot see the Rangers parting with multiple prospects nor can I see the Sox sacrificing the season.  I would speculate that we would be getting major leaguers back and not prospects.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Did you just call Chipper a HOFer?

I've lived through his whole career, and while he was often good, and sometimes great...he didn't put together the sustained greatness that a HOFer should.

When did the Hall of FAME turn into the Hall of Pretty Good for a Very Long Time?

8 AS appearances in NINETEEN seasons, including this year and last. Both of which were undeserved.

The less than 500 HRs during the PED era?

The less than 3000 hits over 19 seasons?

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's a joke what the HOF has turned into. Hall of FAME. As in: no question, without a doubt one of the best EVER.

Chipper, to me, is nowhere near that. Mike Schmidt, Brooks Robinson, George Brett, Eddie Matthews, Wade Boggs....Chipper Jones? And, I'm sorry, you can't ignore the PED cloud hanging over any and everyone who played during those years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Did you just call Chipper a HOFer? I've lived through his whole career, and while he was often good, and sometimes great...he didn't put together the sustained greatness that a HOFer should. When did the Hall of FAME turn into the Hall of Pretty Good for a Very Long Time? 8 AS appearances in NINETEEN seasons, including this year and last. Both of which were undeserved. The less than 500 HRs during the PED era? The less than 3000 hits over 19 seasons? Sorry to be so blunt, but it's a joke what the HOF has turned into. Hall of FAME. As in: no question, without a doubt one of the best EVER. Chipper, to me, is nowhere near that. Mike Schmidt, Brooks Robinson, George Brett, Eddie Matthews, Wade Boggs....Chipper Jones? And, I'm sorry, you can't ignore the PED cloud hanging over any and everyone who played during those years.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

When they elected Tony Perez...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Did you just call Chipper a HOFer? I've lived through his whole career, and while he was often good, and sometimes great...he didn't put together the sustained greatness that a HOFer should. When did the Hall of FAME turn into the Hall of Pretty Good for a Very Long Time? 8 AS appearances in NINETEEN seasons, including this year and last. Both of which were undeserved. The less than 500 HRs during the PED era? The less than 3000 hits over 19 seasons? Sorry to be so blunt, but it's a joke what the HOF has turned into. Hall of FAME. As in: no question, without a doubt one of the best EVER. Chipper, to me, is nowhere near that. Mike Schmidt, Brooks Robinson, George Brett, Eddie Matthews, Wade Boggs....Chipper Jones? And, I'm sorry, you can't ignore the PED cloud hanging over any and everyone who played during those years.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    With 81.3 Wins Above Replacement*, Chipper Jones is a likely Hall of Famer:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_career.shtml

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : With 81.3 Wins Above Replacement*, Chipper Jones is a likely first-ballot Hall of Famer: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_career.shtml * Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]Sanity on this thread? Definitely not expected.So do you think Edgar Martinez will ever make the Hall Of Fame?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : With 81.3 Wins Above Replacement*, Chipper Jones is a likely Hall of Famer: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_career.shtml * Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Agree that he's likely to get in....but....81.3 WAR is more of a reflection of longevity than anything else.

I think that is what people are complaining about.  We want to see trully elite , generational players get in.  NOt players who were good to great for many years in a row. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Either one MVP or one Cy Young should be required to get in.  NO exceptions .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Either one MVP or one Cy Young should be required to get in.  NO exceptions .
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

So who is going to tell Nolan Ryan he is out?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Either one MVP or one Cy Young should be required to get in.  NO exceptions .

By the way, by using this rule, Terry Pendleton is eligible for the Hall of Fame, but Tony Gwynn and Wade Boggs are not...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : So who is going to tell Nolan Ryan he is out?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Okay, some exceptions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : Sanity on this thread? Definitely not expected.So do you think Edgar Martinez will ever make the Hall Of Fame?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Sanity ? HERE ?

BTW, proposed trade was Nolan Ryan, Michael Young and Josh Hamilton for Larry Lucchino plus cash, Josh Beckett and Ellsbury.
    I guess they were JOSH-ing around.

This kind of thinking brought to you by our sponsor, " Scottish ice water " of the Laphroiag variety.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Fine , you must either : win one CY young or MVP to be eligible

or

Finish top 5 in cy young or mvp voting in 3 seperate years.

To qualify...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : Agree that he's likely to get in....but....81.3 WAR is more of a reflection of longevity than anything else. I think that is what people are complaining about.  We want to see trully elite , generational players get in.  NOt players who were good to great for many years in a row. 

That might be what fans want ro see, but "good to great" or many years worked for Don Sutton and Phil Niekro and plenty of others.  Hardly unprecedented...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : Sanity ? HERE ? BTW, proposed trade was Nolan Ryan, Michael Young and Josh Hamilton for Larry Lucchino plus cash, Josh Beckett and Ellsbury. I guess they were JOSH-ing around. This kind of thinking brought to you by our sponsor, " Scottish ice water " of the Laphroiag variety.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]That would work for me. And you keep bringing up this one scotch I've never tried. Can you only get it in CO?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : That might be what fans want ro see, but "good to great" or many years worked for Don Sutton and Phil Niekro and plenty of others.  Hardly unprecedented...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Just iterating where people who think the hall is a joke are coming from (IMO)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : That would work for me.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I'd do this trade only to rid us of LL's bad contract. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Rangers Blockbuster : That would work for me. And you keep bringing up this Scotch I've never tried...
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]