Red Sox select Trey Ball Thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Red Sox select Trey Ball Thoughts?

SLASHERS THOUGHTS:

THIS IS NOW THE GREATEST NAME IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.  I HAVE ALREADY ORDERED A ROAD JERSEY. (well, not yet but it really is a fantastic baseball name)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

find one scouting report that doesn't project Trey Ball to add sitting Velocity?!?!?!? He has good velocity for a highschooler and the article you posted even said most players don't top out their velocity until they are in their early 20's.

So he has a few years to add to his sitting velocity, if it declines from there then he will be throwing what he is now when he is 29 30. Your point makes no sense....plus the success of a a pitcher long term is in how he can CONTROL his pitches and mix them.

Ball has above average command for a higschooler and very good secondary stuff for a highschooler. 

Seriously why are we bashing this kid already?!?!?!?!?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

find one scouting report that doesn't project Trey Ball to add sitting Velocity?!?!?!?

geo is always 100% right hugh. He says so himself Undecided

An 18 yr old can most definitely gain a MPH or 2 on his FB as he fills out. Velcoity does start dropping off in the mid 20's sometime. But that wasnt what you were saying. Between 18-24 you can gain velocity. I think geo just wants to argue with someone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Have you talked with his parents,

No, but I talked with someone who knows his cousins girl friend. Not sure how either has anything to do with what I wrote however. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night though.

Just giving my opinions, just like others. What opinion do you disagree with? Or should I have no opinions? And I have seen numerous video's of him. I think thats just about as good as seeing a guy in person.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

topping out at 94 as an 18 year old is considered above average, and with a 6'6 frame he is projected to add good sitting velocity.  His fastball was considered his best pitch, called a Henry Owens with a better fastball.  I'm willing to bet NO ONE here actually went to go watch one of his games.

The fact that some of us are already bashing this teenager is absolutely 100% absurd. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

topping out at 94 as an 18 year old is considered above average, and with a 6'6 frame he is projected to add good sitting velocity.  His fastball was considered his best pitch, called a Henry Owens with a better fastball.  I'm willing to bet NO ONE here actually went to go watch one of his games.

The fact that some of us are already bashing this teenager is absolutely 100% absurd. 

exactly hugh. If they read all the reports on this kid they would have to reconsider their thought. Especially if they have never heard or seen him before. Thats why I think guys like geo are just trying to start s**t.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If every pitcher loses velocity when they age then how is his sitting velocity even a point unless it is below average? which it's not and he will add velocity giving him an above average fastball ball; bashing his fastball makes zero sense. 

Even if this was a concern, he could very well be playing somewhere else under a new contract 11 years from now....i just don't get it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Polyanna draft boys, we are entitled to our opinions, right? No one on this board has watched this kid except in short clips...but his fastball is from 91-95....not starting at 95, and there is abso no guarantee that he will add anything to his fastball....he is lanky and that is not a baseball frame...he is not a top tier prospect in the field....so I BELIEVE (this is allowed, right?) that he is a waste of such a high draft pick (#7) IN MY OPINION I think the Sox were much better off choosing a top tier guy with power who is more polished and not such a long term project. 

As always - 100% correct!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

man, i wish Mason Katz(LSU) would have stayed on the board long enough for the Yanks to draft him...he's DP-like...edit...though he'll probably project to a util guy..he's got a little pop..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

What I enjoy most is that despite the Sox having a number of excellent home grown players on the roster and a farm system seemingly chockfull of talent, there are loads of guys on the internet that think they know more about scouting talent than a professional baseball team and are already criticising the Sox' top pick.  Plus I wonder how many of these baseball draft experts saw the guy play live even once.  None, I'd bet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Polyanna draft boys, we are entitled to our opinions, right? No one on this board has watched this kid except in short clips...but his fastball is from 91-95....not starting at 95, and there is abso no guarantee that he will add anything to his fastball....he is lanky and that is not a baseball frame...he is not a top tier prospect in the field....so I BELIEVE (this is allowed, right?) that he is a waste of such a high draft pick (#7) IN MY OPINION I think the Sox were much better off choosing a top tier guy with power who is more polished and not such a long term project. 

You nor I know what he adds to his fastball...what we do know is that scouts and those in the "know" have a pretty good idea of where a kid can go based on his age and his body.  Ball is very projectable as in he looks the part to add sitting velocity.  that is what EVERY single scouting report on him says. 

There were ZERO top tier guys left with power....there were lots of guys who fell into that second tier, but that is Where Ball was.  With what was left on the board this was a very good pick. 

You could of taken one of the college bats still on the board but none of them had as much ceiling as ball.  Granted ball is much riskier than a few of the picks that were there but no one had a higher ceiling than him who didn't come with substantial risk.

The Sox never every pick this high and they have the system to support a bad pick; in MY opinion it was the right move to shoot for the moon and guy with the high upside guy.

If you don't like it that's fine; but your velocity argument is invalid.  A better argument would be disliking a highschool pitcher because they are riskier than college bats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You certainly can have your opinion. You always do. 

We are arguing that an 18yr old who throws 91-94 can gain a MPH or 2 to his FB as he fills out over the next 3-4 years. You said he cant. Thats just not true. Weve seen it before. This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

All the scouting reports give this kid high marks. We trust the professionals who do this for a living. Hows that a pollyanna? The Sox have done well over the last few years taking big framed pitchers. Barnes, Ranaudo, Buttrey, Workman, Johnson, Wilson, Light, Kukuk, Maddox, Haley, and Britton just to name a few over the last 3 years. Owens and Ball are very similar except Ball has an easy very repeatable delivery with good command of his FB already. The 2nd round pitcher is Teddy Stankiewicz, 19 yrs old 6'4 and 215LBS. They have done exactly what you say they should have geo. All of those names I named are at least 6'2-6'6 and 200-240LBS.

When guys like Owens and Ball are there for the taking, you take them. Tons of upside with both of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

We are arguing that an 18yr old who throws 91-94 can gain a MPH or 2 to his FB as he fills out over the next 3-4 years. You said he cant. Thats just not true. Weve seen it before. This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

All the scouting reports give this kid high marks. We trust the professionals who do this for a living. Hows that a pollyanna? The Sox have done well over the last few years taking big framed pitchers. Barnes, Ranaudo, Buttrey, Workman, Johnson, Wilson, Light, Kukuk, Maddox, Haley, and Britton just to name a few over the last 3 years. Owens and Ball are very similar except Ball has an easy very repeatable delivers with good command of his FB already. The 2nd round pitcher is Teddy Stankiewicz, 19 yrs old 6'4 and 215LBS with 80K's in 60IP.

They have done exactly what you say they should have geo. Most of those names I named are 6'2-6'6 and 200-240LBS. But when guys like Owens and Ball are there for the taking, you take them. Tons of upside with both of them.

you take them at #25 or #30, not #7...the sox have not had a lot of experience choosing that high and it showed...a long term pitching prospect  is a safe pick....typical ben risk aversion

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

All the scouting reports give this kid high marks. We trust the professionals who do this for a living. Hows that a pollyanna? The Sox have done well over the last few years taking big framed pitchers. Barnes, Ranaudo, Buttrey, Workman, Johnson, Wilson, Light, Kukuk, Maddox, Haley, and Britton just to name a few over the last 3 years. Owens and Ball are very similar except Ball has an easy very repeatable delivers with good command of his FB already. The 2nd round pitcher is Teddy Stankiewicz, 19 yrs old 6'4 and 215LBS with 80K's in 60IP.

They have done exactly what you say they should have geo. Most of those names I named are 6'2-6'6 and 200-240LBS. But when guys like Owens and Ball are there for the taking, you take them. Tons of upside with both of them.

you take them at #25 or #30, not #7...the sox have not had a lot of experience choosing that high and it showed...a long term pitching prospect  is a safe pick....typical ben risk aversion

Ok geo, who would you have taken then? What pitcher was a better choice?

By the way, scouts had Ball gone by #15.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Red Sox scouts are 100 times better at evaluating talent than me or any of you guys. 

Ameil Sawdeye has been the director of scouting and running the drafts here since 2010, he has probably one of the better record the sox have ever had in an evaluator of talent.

All I know......is him and his team had Ball as the 7th best talent in this draft, and there are many in know that agree with him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Red Sox scouts are 100 times better at evaluating talent than me or any of you guys. 

Ameil Sawdeye has been the director of scouting and running the drafts here since 2010, he has probably one of the better record the sox have ever had in an evaluator of talent.

All I know......is him and his team had Ball as the 7th best talent in this draft, and there are many in know that agree with him. 

I like the upside the Denny kid has. All pitchers except for him thru 5 rounds. 2LHP 2RHP and a C.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If this guy turns out to be anywhere close to a top-of-the-rotation pitcher in a few years I will not have any complaints at all about whatever hitters they may have passed on yesterday to get him.

He also hit 10 home runs in a short season Indiana high school season, so if he fails in three years as a pitcher they might find time to try him out as a hitter.  In three seasons he is likely to weigh about 225 pounds with his 6'6" frame and will at least look like a major league power hitter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Meadows is EXACTLY what we needed given our outfield situation

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Yeah, sure, but he's not a guy on the internet.  He might have access to a multitude of scouts and statistical information, but where is his anonymous platform for spouting unsupported and riskless opinions?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How is Meadows any different? his average was way to low for a top ten pick....teams liked him because of his PROJECTION.  he had the perfect frame that they figured he would fill in, very similiar to who Ball PROJECTS to fit well into his pitchers frame.  Meadows was a highschooler with just as much risk as Ball. 

If you prefered Meadows to Ball you weren't alone; when everyone else I wanted was gone I was hoping for Meadows.  But Lets not get down on the very talented 18 year kid who has yet to throw 1 pitch as a professional. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to TrotNixonDirtDog's comment:

Thoughts?

Wow ! What were they thinking? Wasted a 7th pic on that??/  After all the crap they did to get the 7th pick and looks like crap continued through pick. Maybe 5-6 years from now look back and find out it was only a little crap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to TrotNixonDirtDog's comment:

Thoughts?

Wow ! What were they thinking? Wasted a 7th pic on that??/  After all the crap they did to get the 7th pick and looks like crap continued through pick. Maybe 5-6 years from now look back and find out it was only a little crap.

And who was the obvious pick the Sox should have taken???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Meadows is a good player for sure. Unless his name is Bryant or Moran, Id would have taken a pitcher too and found a guy like JBJ, who we picked 40th, later on. Meadows is not a legit power bat like the other 2. No doubt hes a very good prospect and i could have seen them taking him at #7. I wouldnt have had an issue with that pick one bit.

But for you To say all the things you said about Ball because they didnt pick Meadows is ridiculous. You had no basis for your argument (especially the white boy comment) when EVERY scout talk very highly of this kid and his athleticism. They all say just the opposite of what you say. Then you accuse everyone of being a "pollyanna" just because we choose to believe guys that scout and develop for a living over what you say.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Not to mention Meadows doesn't have power.  He is projected to have power based on his frame.....in the same way that Ball is projected to add velocity....based on his frame. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts