Red Sox select Trey Ball Thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Red Sox select Trey Ball Thoughts?

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

[QUOTE]

The farm system has no good bats to speak of and so they take a pitcher.... Ben is an idiot.

He is in HS and hits 94. Its impossible to tell right now if he will work out.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  To varying degrees, most of us can take a look at someone's pro career and make guesses on how he'll do this year, or maybe over a couple of years.

A very few of us have a good enough knowledge of our minor league system, and prospect development to opine on our prospects, past what they read in BA.

I'd guess, and I am not being mean, that none of us have the type of experience or knowledge to compare HS athletes.  Even guys with 20 years of experience have issues with that.  

That someone comes in to call Ball a waste of a pick, knowing literally -0- about him, makes the poster a complete idiot.

I preferred Meadows, but I am more than willing to admit my knowledge base on this is an absolute -0-.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to TrotNixonDirtDog's comment:

Thoughts?

My first thought was, "It must be nice for an 18-year-old to be drafted by the Boston Red Sox."  When I was 18, I was working at the library to earn extra cash.   LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not great at all. Missed a chance for a special Bat...a position of farm weakness.

I love it when people mention that they missed out on a special bat, but don't even have a name of the special bat they missed.

There was only one other bat available that you might have wanted to take,

[/QUOTE]

Meadows. Should be a given if you followed any prospects whatsoever. Condescension and pretentiousness ooze around here.

[/QUOTE]

I see that you read the other responses, and then mentioned Meadows afterwards.  I wanted Meadows as well, but have never seen either guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

this guy has serious white man's disease...slow, uncordinated, and will need ten years to develop and fill out

Grade F

As always - 100% correct!

A new level of stupidity, even for you.  He runs a 6.7 60.  That translates to about 10.5 for the 100, and probably pne of the fastest guys in BB when he gets here.

It's almost like you have a gift for this type of stupidity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

this jellybean will be about as good as a fielder as Jonny Gomes....and his fastball tops out at 94? by the time he reaches the majors in 6 years he will be lucky to be throwing 90...and this was the 7th overall pick? was Ben drinking?

Dumb and Dumnber.  I assumed most people knew that pitchers got faster as they matured and gained muscle mass.  Do you anything whatsoever about BB?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this jellybean will be about as good as a fielder as Jonny Gomes....and his fastball tops out at 94? by the time he reaches the majors in 6 years he will be lucky to be throwing 90...and this was the 7th overall pick? was Ben drinking?

He's a HIGHSCHOOLER? every scout in the country expects him to add sitting velocity as he fills out.  If he was a college senior you might have more of a point.  But 18 Year olds don't lose velocity...all things considered expect his MLB fastball to be more than what it is now. 

[/QUOTE]

your fastball is already on the decline before most sox prospects make it out of AAA

(24)

the idea that you can strengthen your arm after that is folly...its all downhill for the most part

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitcher-aging-curves-starters-and-relievers/

[/QUOTE]

You need to read the articles you post.  This is what it said=

Generally, pitchers see their velocity peak in their early 20s 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

[QUOTE]

The farm system has no good bats to speak of and so they take a pitcher.... Ben is an idiot.

He is in HS and hits 94. Its impossible to tell right now if he will work out.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  To varying degrees, most of us can take a look at someone's pro career and make guesses on how he'll do this year, or maybe over a couple of years.

A very few of us have a good enough knowledge of our minor league system, and prospect development to opine on our prospects, past what they read in BA.

I'd guess, and I am not being mean, that none of us have the type of experience or knowledge to compare HS athletes.  Even guys with 20 years of experience have issues with that.  

That someone comes in to call Ball a waste of a pick, knowing literally -0- about him, makes the poster a complete idiot.

I preferred Meadows, but I am more than willing to admit my knowledge base on this is an absolute -0-.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently there are several things he has going for him. Good velocity for his age, ability to repeat his pitching motion, good frame for a pitcher re: torque. I read his father would not even let him throw a curveball until he was 17. I also know nothing about how to evaluate a HS kid. I am hoping the FO know something about it and, against the odds, this kid works out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Polyanna draft boys, we are entitled to our opinions, right?

Your entitled to an opinion, not a different set of facts from the rest of the world.  He will gain velocity in all likelihood.  Just because you hate the RS doesn't mean the laws of physics don't apply to you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Apparently there are several things he has going for him. Good velocity for his age, ability to repeat his pitching motion, good frame for a pitcher re: torque. I read his father would not even let him throw a curveball until he was 17. I also know nothing about how to evaluate a HS kid. I am hoping the FO know something about it and, against the odds, this kid works out.

The only thing I can go by is that we've had a bit of success developing some lefties.  Lester has been great, Doubront has been pretty good for his level of development, and Owens has pretty much been lighting it up, at least so far.  And the NYY philosophy has been to build their teams around LH hitters aiming at the short porch.  Also liking his size.  I have no research behind it, but I don't trust smaller pitchers overthrowing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

You can talk about risk too. let's define risk. HSers might not pan out at all vs a pitcher w/ a college track record. So yeah, any pitcher like Ball is a risky pick. But the flip side to that coin is 1) No years of additional arm mileage , & 2) No additional hands/coaches he's had to pass through by the time he gets in our system. It's all relative. This draft pick was an infrequent gift as far as I'm concerned. Looking a gift horse in the mouth is one thing, a prostate exam is another. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Pumpsie-Did Fred have an opinion of him, or the draft in general?  He's usually pretty sharp on these things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

As a baseball fan who is living (and following baseball) in one of the premier baseball countries (actually, I get to follow it in 2 of the premier countries due to low travel costs), I prefer that the Sox stock up on young pitching in this draft, and look for bats internationally (where pitching IMO is subpar at best).  Look there is FAR LESS of a difference between a 10 and 20 million dollar a year FA hitter than there is between a 10 and 20 million a year FA pitcher.  You stock that pitching talent when you can.  This is a high ceiling, tall, LEFT HANDED, HS pitcher.  Nothing wrong with this pick.  Is it sexy?  God no.  But is it solid???  Yes.  I think so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Will Ball sign?

I think he will, but my understanding is that next year's draft is deeper, so if we flip this the pick for next year, it shouldn't make any difference.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It was really the middle of this draft that was weak; no depth compared to past years.  At least this is what the industry is saying; actually the whole industry FWIW.  But from what I've heard the top 8-12 in this draft was just as good.  It was a top heavy draft that had a huge drop off in talent after the top ten picks.  This is probably why no one fell to us at #7

Those same experts say next year should be stronger, but A LOT can change from now till then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It was really the middle of this draft that was weak; no depth compared to past years.  At least this is what the industry is saying; actually the whole industry FWIW.  But from what I've heard the top 8-12 in this draft was just as good.  It was a top heavy draft that had a huge drop off in talent after the top ten picks.  This is probably why no one fell to us at #7

Those same experts say next year should be stronger, but A LOT can change from now till then.

Interesting take.  I really thought, almost took for granted that one of those guys were going to fall.  It could be like you say, top heavy but weaker in the middle.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

this guy has serious white man's disease...slow, uncordinated, and will need ten years to develop and fill out

Grade F

Gee, and my thoughts were the that georom would complain no matter who the Sox picked and find fault with the pick regardless, despite not knowing anything about him beyond what can be found on the bleacher report.

My second thought was tht when he reads this post, he would counter with some denial, and ramble off the randomly chosen name of someone else he feels the NEEDED to pick, again, without knwing anything about that guy either.

But hey, bashers bash regardless.   Had georom been a Yankee fan in when they acquired Babe Ruth, he would have complained.   "He's too fat to pitch and why are they gong to put him in right field?? These guys are clueless and got swindled by Frazee AGAIN! We need owners like that!!  Grade F!! Ruth <Flush>."

And with all of these, I am, as georom likes to call himself, 100% correct...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

Grade F

Gee, and my thoughts were the that georom would complain no matter who the Sox picked and find fault with the pick regardless, despite not knowing anything about him beyond what can be found on the bleacher report.

My second thought was tht when he reads this post, he would counter with some denial, and ramble off the randomly chosen name of someone else he feels the NEEDED to pick, again, without knwing anything about that guy either.

But hey, bashers bash regardless.   Had georom been a Yankee fan in when they acquired Babe Ruth, he would have complained.   "He's too fat to pitch and why are they gong to put him in right field?? These guys are clueless and got swindled by Frazee AGAIN! We need owners like that!!  Grade F!! Ruth <Flush>."

And with all of these, I am, as georom likes to call himself, 100% correct...

[/QUOTE]

if this guy runs a 10.5 100, then i do too...lol  87 mph fastball...look at the report.....he should play basketball...ben once again blows it...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, geo, the Red Sox organization has no clue about scouting and developing players...

But wait, aren't you the same guy who keeps going on and on about how you love the kids and how we should be playing the kids?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

87 was his low. As in the lowest a scout ever read him, could of been a cut fastball or a pitch where he took something off it also it is very common for highschoolers who haven't filled out yet to drop velocity when they either go deep or are used in the bullpen in between starts.  We really have no report one line earlier it said his high was 95

You have a right to our opinion, but I'll informed ones will illicit a response.

STOP BEING A DONNY DOWNER

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bcittadini. Show bcittadini's posts

you can never have enough pitching...especially south paws

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The more I think about it, the more I like Trey Ball.  He has a chance to be something really special.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

87 was his low. As in the lowest a scout ever read him, could of been a cut fastball or a pitch where he took something off it also it is very common for highschoolers who haven't filled out yet to drop velocity when they either go deep or are used in the bullpen in between starts.  We really have no report one line earlier it said his high was 95

You have a right to our opinion, but I'll informed ones will illicit a response.

STOP BEING A DONNY DOWNER

Hugh, I respect your love of the prospects and enjoy reading your thoughts on them regularly...but a 7 pick is pretty epic for the Sox, disappointment comes with the territory if you blow it..he's not expected to play the field so i guess you have to throw that out of the equation...hows his arm? seems quite ordinary in this day and age....meanwhile i thought we had a real need for some outfield power (or are jb/gomes/vicctorino/nava are solution???)  its ok to say that they blew it...honestly it is - because it sure looks like it...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

[QUOTE]

Pumpsie-Did Fred have an opinion of him, or the draft in general?  He's usually pretty sharp on these things.

Sharp as a marble.

[/QUOTE]

Fred is overly emotional, so logic often scatters in emotion's path, but he has an outstanding knowledge of prospects.

Sections
Shortcuts