Red Sox select Trey Ball Thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Red Sox select Trey Ball Thoughts?

....meanwhile i thought we had a real need for some outfield power (or are jb/gomes/vicctorino/nava are solution???) 

I'd have gone that had it been available.  But you can't magically make quality power appear.  Bryant looks like he has major power, but was off at #2.  I thought Frazier was the bestt all-around bat, but apparently, so did Cleveland.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/06/07/swinging-fences-trey-ball-what-red-sox-saw-lef

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/06/07/swinging-fences-trey-ball-what-red-sox-saw-lef

Your certainly entitled to your opinion geo, but you might want to have facts to back it up. You have no basis for your arguement and were obviously making things up (white boy syndrome? really?). Try getting out of your own way for once and you'll realize we got on heck of a pitcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

87 was his low. As in the lowest a scout ever read him, could of been a cut fastball or a pitch where he took something off it also it is very common for highschoolers who haven't filled out yet to drop velocity when they either go deep or are used in the bullpen in between starts.  We really have no report one line earlier it said his high was 95

You have a right to our opinion, but I'll informed ones will illicit a response.

STOP BEING A DONNY DOWNER

Hugh, I respect your love of the prospects and enjoy reading your thoughts on them regularly...but a 7 pick is pretty epic for the Sox, disappointment comes with the territory if you blow it..he's not expected to play the field so i guess you have to throw that out of the equation...hows his arm? seems quite ordinary in this day and age....meanwhile i thought we had a real need for some outfield power (or are jb/gomes/vicctorino/nava are solution???)  its ok to say that they blew it...honestly it is - because it sure looks like it...

[/QUOTE]

No he is not projected to play the field.  I can't be certain of this but I thought I heard somewhere he would have been 2nd 3rd round talent as a hitter.  The sox drafted him to pitch.  Look at one of he sox later picks Kyle Martin; threw 85-88 in high school now tops out at 93-94.  If ball can top out at 95 and throw in the low 90's then he can project on having a plus plus fastball if he adds sitting velocity.  He also repeats is delivery and has good control for a tall lefty out of highschool. 

Most pitchers who fit his profile as a tall lefty have horrible control and take years to develop. I'm sure Ball is still a long lead player but the fact that he has good control for a highschooler speaks volumes.  He also repeats his delivery well for a highschooler, if he can polish that up and add 25 lbs then that plays up well for a guy to go deep into games. 

He is a risky pick, and there we're safer picks left on the board. But the sox felt he had the highest ceiling, and a chance to be a top of the rotaton starter if he can put it all together.  That's what I would have expected the sox to do here, go all in for ceiling.  If he fails as a starter then it is on Ben C and the sox front office, but it won't kill the franchise....but if lives up to his ceiling then it can propel this team forward for a decade.

First time picking in the top ten in decade.....I'll take ceiling over safe all day.  Everyone's entailed to their opinions, and if we butt-heads I will come and arogue in peace.  But I will encourage you try and give this kinda a chance.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

87 was his low. As in the lowest a scout ever read him, could of been a cut fastball or a pitch where he took something off it also it is very common for highschoolers who haven't filled out yet to drop velocity when they either go deep or are used in the bullpen in between starts.  We really have no report one line earlier it said his high was 95

You have a right to our opinion, but I'll informed ones will illicit a response.

STOP BEING A DONNY DOWNER

Hugh, I respect your love of the prospects and enjoy reading your thoughts on them regularly...but a 7 pick is pretty epic for the Sox, disappointment comes with the territory if you blow it..he's not expected to play the field so i guess you have to throw that out of the equation...hows his arm? seems quite ordinary in this day and age....meanwhile i thought we had a real need for some outfield power (or are jb/gomes/vicctorino/nava are solution???)  its ok to say that they blew it...honestly it is - because it sure looks like it...

[/QUOTE]

While I agree thr Sox neef corner OF bats, you cannot draft what is not there.  Anb the 2 most MLB ready hitters were off the bosrd.

I don't like taking HS pitching that early,  but a bigger mistake might have been taking a toolsy project OF like Austin Meadows.  Guys like that usually do not develop all theiir tools.  Austin Meadows pron ably tops out as a Cameron Maybin clone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The biggest downside to Ball is his signability.  He has pretty good leverage with his option to go play forbthe Texas Longhorns...

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The biggest downside to Ball is his signability.  He has pretty good leverage with his option to go play forbthe Texas Longhorns...

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K

If that's his biggest downside, then that's a good thing.  While it's conceivable he could go to college and be considered the best pitcher in college and be a 1-1 guy in two or three years there's a good chance he won't do better than 3.2-3.5 million.  I think he will take slot or slot x 1.05

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I guess Ball also throws a knuckleball.  Maybe the sox will have Wakefield throw a few tips his way.

Im sure a certain poster in here would ecstatic!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I guess Ball also throws a knuckleball.  Maybe the sox will have Wakefield throw a few tips his way.

I think my favorite thing is that his Dad didnt allow him to throw a CB until his junior year, and even then, used it sparingly. These kids that are snapping off curves and sliders at age 13-14 is just dumb IMO. You need to let your body develop before you start torquing all those limbs and ligaments. Fastballs and Change ups until 17-18 yrs old is the way to go. I applaud his Dad for looking out for his kids long term future and trying to do everything to avoid him having to get TJS and basically lose 1-2 years of his career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think my favorite thing is that his Dad didnt allow him to throw a CB until his junior year, and even then, used it sparingly. These kids that are snapping off curves and sliders at age 13-14 is just dumb IMO. You need to let your body develop before you start torquing all those limbs and ligaments. Fastballs and Change ups until 17-18 yrs old is the way to go. I applaud his Dad for looking out for his kids long term future and trying to do everything to avoid him having to get TJS and basically lose 1-2 years of his career.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they throw the curve early to get a leg up.  This kid succeeded without it and even after pitching it for less than a year impressed scouts.  

It only seems right that a kid with the last name ball is a ball player 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/6/7/4406674/mlb-draft-2013-red-sox-1-pick-trey-ball-could-sign-this-weekend

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think an aspect of the draft which is overlooked by all is psychological makeup of the draftee.

A kid might have loads of physical talent, but may be lacking in character, for example.

We have no idea why the Sox chose Ball over others, who supposedly were higher on everyones list.  Maybe it was based on his psychological profile.

I do recall that there were issues the Sox had during the signing of Buchholz.  Luckily for us, he obviously matured and outgrew his problems.

In essence, I think a lot more goes into drafting a prospect than just physical ability alone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I think an aspect of the draft which is overlooked by all is psychological makeup of the draftee.

A kid might have loads of physical talent, but may be lacking in character, for example.

We have no idea why the Sox chose Ball over others, who supposedly were higher on everyones list.  Maybe it was based on his psychological profile.

I do recall that there were issues the Sox had during the signing of Buchholz.  Luckily for us, he obviously matured and outgrew his problems.

In essence, I think a lot more goes into drafting a prospect than just physical ability alone.

Ball was 9-15 on most peoples list, so it wasn't that far of a stretch.  He also arguably had the highest ceiling of anyone left in the draft.

But you make a good point; scouts look at what your saying all the time.  Character and overall "make up" is something that definitely goes into their decision. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

absolutely amp. Mental makeup is a huge factor in signing a kid of his age, or any age. They look at the family and his support system as well. When giving a young kid upwards of 2-3M to sign, they have to look at everything when making an investment like that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

if this guy runs a 10.5 100, then i do too...lol  87 mph fastball...look at the report.....he should play basketball...ben once again blows it...

When did you see him running?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they throw the curve early to get a leg up.  This kid succeeded without it and even after pitching it for less than a year impressed scouts.  

[/QUOTE]

I always thought that would be a useful training tool.  Tell a pitcher with a monster FB to get by with x FBs to each pitcher, and to rely on their secondary pitches to get someone out.  Or else tell someone to throw 100% FBs so that they have to rely on location more to get people out.  Kind of like making 3rd graders play completely on the left side of the court.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Your certainly entitled to your opinion geo, but you might want to have facts to back it up. You have no basis for your arguement and were obviously making things up (white boy syndrome? really?). Try getting out of your own way for once and you'll realize we got on heck of a pitcher.

I'm mostly just busting chops.  It seems pretty obvious that Geo doesn't have the foggiest idea of who Ball is.  The first thing he criticized was his speed, even though he is one of the fastest guys in the draft.  Then he said he was a worse fielder than Gomes, kind of implying that he thought Ball was an outfielder.

He basically just wanted to bash whomever the RS drafted, but was not smart enough to figure out who ball is, and too lazy to do some rudimentary research.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I always thought that would be a useful training tool.  Tell a pitcher with a monster FB to get by with x FBs to each pitcher, and to rely on their secondary pitches to get someone out.  Or else tell someone to throw 100% FBs so that they have to rely on location more to get people out.  Kind of like making 3rd graders play completely on the left side of the court.

[/QUOTE]

The sox have a reputation of having there draftees exclude their best pitch their first year in the minor to develop their other offerings.  I read a story once on how they asked Brandon workman to exclude his cutter his first year in the system.

Just another reason to take minor league stats witha grain of salt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

At this point in time, what's not to like about him?

20. This post has been removed.