Red Sox selling out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Red Sox selling out?

Red Sox sellout streak proves to be numbers game

Just a few points/queries.  Why not be honest?  The government cannot tell us the truth, the team cannot simply be honest about a sell-out, and your boss lies his azz off to you ...... daily.

Have we ever been honest as a society? Does anyone care?  Is lying part of the plan for a good life?

Sure this is insignificant with the alleged "sell-out streak" but is this not the template for America (and the world) in general?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Red Sox selling out?

Template or not, majority or not...it's just wrong. It's not how ANY of us are taught as children, but greed wins out almost every single time.

I care. I honestly don't think many people do...but I do. Be true to your word, mean what you say, and say what you mean.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Right! And the unemployment rate is 8.2%. We just don't count the ones who have stopped looking for work to keep the rate lower.
    And the jobs report only gives the number of jobs created, not the number of jobs lost.
    This is known as creative government spin.
    I was listening to the news a few weeks ago when the jobs report came out for April. The numbers were low for Spring hiring, and the reason given was the warmer winter caused the spring hiring to take place earlier, in Jan and Feb.
    The funny thing is, that "warmer weather" reason was not given for the higher numbers in Jan and Feb.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox selling out?:
    [QUOTE]Right! And the unemployment rate is 8.2%. We just don't count the ones who have stopped looking for work to keep the rate lower. And the jobs report only gives the number of jobs created, not the number of jobs lost. This is known as creative government spin. I was listening to the news a few weeks ago when the jobs report came out for April. The numbers were low for Spring hiring, and the reason given was the warmer winter caused the spring hiring to take place earlier, in Jan and Feb. The funny thing is, that "warmer weather" reason was not given for the higher numbers in Jan and Feb.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

What does this have to do with baseball?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Template or not, majority or not...it's just wrong. It's not how ANY of us are taught as children, but greed wins out almost every single time. I care. I honestly don't think many people do...but I do. Be true to your word, mean what you say, and say what you mean.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I am certain some economics or marketing guru will come along and explain why it is all okay. I wonder... if the team simply told the truth would we buy less tickets? Actually in the past I would shy away from even trying if I thought they were really always sold out.

The team sold out but the games are not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Red Sox ownership sold out a long time ago.

Hey, if the Red Sox want to buy unused seats or are willing to sell the single seats at a discount to their Official Ticket Reseller, then who are we to argue.

What it really means is that tickets on the reseller market have gotten cheaper and are easier to get. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Boston Globe:

Jim Holzman, president of Ace Ticket, said he lost about $10,000 on tickets he had bought and was unable to sell for Wednesday’s game, not including about 100 tickets he gave to charities.

"Right now, I’m losing money," on Sox tickets, Holzman said. "That’s the way it goes. It’s just part of the business. It turns out to be a wonderful time for someone to buy Red Sox tickets below face value."

All so very very ineresting

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox ownership sold out a long time ago. Hey, if the Red Sox want to buy unused seats or are willing to sell the single seats at a discount to their Official Ticket Reseller, then who are we to argue. What it really means is that tickets on the reseller market have gotten cheaper and are easier to get. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

So we the fan should continue to operate with a sneaky system? How about we all just tell it like it is and then we ALL can get along.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Boston Globe:

The Red Sox are closing in on the longest sellout streak in the history of US professional sports, 814 by the NBA’s Portland Trailblazers from 1977 to 1995. They are on track to break Portland’s record early next season.

Boston Globe:
    After the game, a video screen shows the "attendance" number for Wednesday's game. MLB rules allow a team to count the total number of tickets it distributes for a game rather than the paid attendance. For the Red Sox, that includes an average of 800 complimentary tickets given to charities and others.

After the game, a video screen shows the 'attendance' number for Wednesday's game. MLB rules allow a team to count the total number of tickets it distributes for a game rather than the paid attendance. For the Red Sox, that includes an average of 800 complimentary tickets given to charities and others.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It is a really intersting subject... thankfully it is easy for me to bring up because I can just cut/paste other people's thoughts.

So fun.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Right! And the unemployment rate is 8.2%. We just don't count the ones who have stopped looking for work to keep the rate lower. And the jobs report only gives the number of jobs created, not the number of jobs lost. This is known as creative government spin. I was listening to the news a few weeks ago when the jobs report came out for April. The numbers were low for Spring hiring, and the reason given was the warmer winter caused the spring hiring to take place earlier, in Jan and Feb. The funny thing is, that "warmer weather" reason was not given for the higher numbers in Jan and Feb.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]
      I don't know if your old enough to remember when Kevin White was mayor of Boston. He would put out a press release saying the tax rate was going to rise by 15%. Then when it would only rise by 10%, he would claim he cut taxes by 5%, when he actually raised them by 10% and the lemmings in the media would go along with him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

ouch!  for real? I think we could go on and on about those types of things. Amazing world we reside in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I will use this photo in at least one post every day.... forever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Boston Globe: Jim Holzman, president of Ace Ticket, said he lost about $10,000 on tickets he had bought and was unable to sell for Wednesday’s game, not including about 100 tickets he gave to charities. "Right now, I’m losing money," on Sox tickets, Holzman said. "That’s the way it goes. It’s just part of the business. It turns out to be a wonderful time for someone to buy Red Sox tickets below face value."   All so very very ineresting    
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Holzman will be so honest and forthright with his numbers when August/September rolls around?

"We just made $100,000 on that last Yankees series! Right now, we're PRINTING money, but that's the way it goes. It turns out to be a wonderful time to look back at that $10k loss (investment) I was harping about in May!...SUCKERS!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"who's in seat #32 row 4 section B?"

"Abbott there's nobody in that seat, besides , you said 'who' was on first."

"c'mon , it's a sellout, there has to be someone sitting in that seat!"

"Abbott , there's a whole lot of empty seats when they play Oakland, nobody wants to watch a team filled with nobodys."

"stop changing the subject, who's in that seat?"

"I'M TELLIN' YOU ABBOTT, THERE'S NOBODY THERE!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Red Sox selling out?:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox sellout streak proves to be numbers game Just a few points/queries.  Why not be honest? 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I agree in principle. But teams do it all the time. As I posted on another thread, it's a running joke with me and some friends when we got to an event and they announce "attendance" and we know they announced tickets sold -- companies that buy big block but can't give them away -- rather than bodies through a turnstile.

So I don't get worked up over it. When teams announce sellouts or a large attendance but fans can see the many empty seats, they just look stupid. So be it. I've got other things to worry about.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox selling out? : What does this have to do with baseball?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I was simply making a comparison between the RS lying about sellouts, and the government lying about the jobs report.
    But you already knew that. You just wanted to be an a______e.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Actually, when a self serving public relations lie becomes so unbelievable and grossly inaccurate, then the institution that attempts to perpetuate that lie is undermined by a loss of confidence in the service/message of that organization.

Bottom line - tell the truth and don't insult  people's sense of fair play or intelligence....right Lizzy Warren?

...and I'm a registered Democrat...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm not bothered by the streak and the very real possiblity those games are really sold out.  Who can doubt that the stands always look pretty full?

The funny part is that Sox fans, believing the myth, don't try to get seats that are in fact available. 

As for me, I've only been to two games at Fenway.  Great games, horrible seats.  So I plan to stay away, which is not too hard living in Fairfax County, VA. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I don't lie. And I've never lied about anything I've said on this board. I've always said I'd be open to a challenge to answer anything I've ever said with no time to look it up. No one has taken me up on it.

"Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter, don't mind." Dr. Seuss

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; Re: Red Sox selling out?:
    [QUOTE]I don't lie. And I've never lied about anything I've said on this board. I've always said I'd be open to a challenge to answer anything I've ever said with no time to look it up. No one has taken me up on it. "Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter, don't mind." Dr. Seuss
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

25. This post has been removed.