Red Sox set to acquire David Price !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Red Sox set to acquire David Price !

In response to seannybboi's comment:

The point of the article is Sox have what it takes to land Price even the trade will be done within the same division.  The question is either the Sox or the Rays willing to even talk about this.  Price will be a FA i think.  He will test the market whether he stays with the Tampa before being eligible for FA or getting traded to a different team.  Even though Sox will have plenty of money to sign Price when he hits the market, i'm not sure Ben will break his rule and give him 6-7 yrs.  

I understand the point of the article, but again, it's something that would never happen, so why   not choose a realistic scenario if his point was to plug the Sox Farm System.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:

Nice fluff piece.

No way the Rays trade him within the division.

I think it makes more sense for Tampa to trade him to Boston than anywhere else.

Once they trade Price, they are weakening their chances to win in the present, and are all about building for the near future.   And they will take the best prospect(s) they can get to help them do that.   Sure it helps Boston win now, but once they deal Price, Tampa is in a much weaker position to challenge for the division anyway, regardless of where he goes.

However, those Tampa teams with their prospects will be competing against the young talent coming up into Boston, which is also very good.    But if Tampa managed to get a few of those Sox prospects, they could weaken the future of the Red Sox at the same time as strengthening their own, making their chances of a successful re-build all that much better.  Or, they could send Price to another division and let Boston keep their young talent and (hopefully) remain competitive.

Do I think Tampa will do it?  I doubt it.   But intra-divisional trades for superstar players are not exactly unheard of and absolutely do make sense.   I would think that’s was part of the reason  Seattle traded Cliff Lee to Texas when they had a slew of other teams trying to get him…

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If the Red Sox are looking to make a giant splash by trade, then acquiring Price would be the way to go.

Nothing whatsoever to the article.  It's basically what a fan wants to do.  The gist of was 'it worked out with Pedro, and Price has five letters and starts with P, so we should do so again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Nice fluff piece.

I think it makes more sense for Tampa to trade him to Boston than anywhere else.

Once they trade Price, they are weakening their chances to win in the present, and are all about building for the near future.   And they will take the best prospect(s) they can get to help them do that.   Sure it helps Boston win now, but once they deal Price, Tampa is in a much weaker position to challenge for the division anyway, regardless of where he goes.

However, those Tampa teams with their prospects will be competing against the young talent coming up into Boston, which is also very good.    But if Tampa managed to get a few of those Sox prospects, they could weaken the future of the Red Sox at the same time as strengthening their own, making their chances of a successful re-build all that much better.  Or, they could send Price to another division and let Boston keep their young talent and (hopefully) remain competitive.

Do I think Tampa will do it?  I doubt it.   But intra-divisional trades for superstar players are not exactly unheard of and absolutely do make sense.   I would think that’s was part of the reason  Seattle traded Cliff Lee to Texas when they had a slew of other teams trying to get him…

The "significant" interdivision trade has become almost obsolete with the unbalanced schedule, more playoff spots and the fact that more teams have money to spend with the revenue sharing, TV contracts, etc.  Most teams, outside of maybe Houston & Chicago feel they can compete "now."

The Lee trade was made by Seattle because they were going nowhere fast being 16 games out of first and needed an influx of talent as they weren't attracting any free agents.  The Rangers were on the cusp of bankruptcy, were being run by the league, hadn't sniffed the playoffs in 10 years & obviously were in between owners.  It was a unique situation and one where the Rangers Front Office could afford to take a risk to win "now," since there was no job security.  

The Sox/Rays situation is entirely different, right down to the General Managers.  Andrew Freidman would supposedly sell his sole before he would make an inter-division trade of any significance & Ben Cherington is known for being against trading young talent.  

Maybe if Kenny Williams takes over in Tampa & Jack Zduriencik takes over in Boston...nope, still wouldn't happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Does anyone here actually think the team from the Bronx won't open their wallets should the Rays not re-sign Price? There are 2 other teams who might be interested in the Rangers and the Dodgers the other big spenders in the league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Nice fluff piece.

The "significant" interdivision trade has become almost obsolete with the unbalanced schedule, more playoff spots and the fact that more teams have money to spend with the revenue sharing, TV contracts, etc.  Most teams, outside of maybe Houston & Chicago feel they can compete "now."

The Lee trade was made by Seattle because they were going nowhere fast being 16 games out of first and needed an influx of talent as they weren't attracting any free agents.  The Rangers were on the cusp of bankruptcy, were being run by the league, hadn't sniffed the playoffs in 10 years & obviously were in between owners.  It was a unique situation and one where the Rangers Front Office could afford to take a risk to win "now," since there was no job security.  

The Sox/Rays situation is entirely different, right down to the General Managers.  Andrew Freidman would supposedly sell his sole before he would make an inter-division trade of any significance & Ben Cherington is known for being against trading young talent.  

Maybe if Kenny Williams takes over in Tampa & Jack Zduriencik takes over in Boston...nope, still wouldn't happen.

Never said it would, but just said it made sense for Tampa.

Psst.. its "sell his SOUL", not "sell his sole."  Unless, of course, you are referring to Friedman selling footwear or seafood.

(Correction made more for the joke and not so much to point out actual errors.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Nice fluff piece.

Never said it would, but just said it made sense for Tampa.

Psst.. its "sell his SOUL", not "sell his sole."  Unless, of course, you are referring to Friedman selling footwear or seafood.

(Correction made more for the joke and not so much to point out actual errors.)

Friedman once worked for a small fish market in downtown Tampa, so I got a little confused.  I don't disagree that it would make sense for Tampa, either. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Also, you are wrong if you think Kenny Williams would not do that trade.  But then, Kenny never made any trade people thought he should and preferred to make trades he should not.  Especailly if they involved the same players over and over again.

That's how he rolled, and how he proved the Peter Principle...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

So what makes you (author) think that if we trade for Price we are not going to have Owens ranaudo and Barnes. Left over. 1 if not two of them are gone in that trade.  That being said. Bye bye     Price is a beast and would thrive in Boston

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

JIn response to notin's comment:

Also, you are wrong if you think Kenny Williams would not do that trade.  But then, Kenny never made any trade people thought he should and preferred to make trades he should not.  Especailly if they involved the same players over and over again.

That's how he rolled, and how he proved the Peter Principle...

Lol...That's why I chose him as an example.  Williams loves the spotlight and he made some head scratching decisions that seemingly came out of nowhere.  He'd would definitely have to be on one end of that deal for it to happen.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:

Nice fluff piece.

Maybe the SOX offer the Rays a deal they can't refuse. The SOX would have to offer more than another team outside the division.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Does anyone here actually think the team from the Bronx won't open their wallets should the Rays not re-sign Price? There are 2 other teams who might be interested in the Rangers and the Dodgers the other big spenders in the league.

That's why, unless we have an extension in place at a reasonable Price, we should pass.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Better shot at acquiring Vincent Price currently resting at room temp.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Nice fluff piece.

That was my initial thought as well.

After careful analysis I think they would for the best package.

Ray's don't have to win the division to make the playoffs and the Sox have one of the best farm systems in all of baseball.

What is really important is the Sox are dealing from a very strong position from their everyday line up down thru their farm system.

With or w/o Price they are sure to compete.

Sections
Shortcuts