Red Sox should avoid Free Agency

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Red Sox should avoid Free Agency

The Red Sox should just avoid Free Agency this year like the plague. I just read they are very interested in bringing back Adam LaRoche, they have been connected to Tori Hunter and Dan Haren. They should just avoid free agency this year. Most free agents are either on the wrong side of 30, in decline or just not a good fit here. The Red Sox should just stick to the trade market this season and stay away from the Free Agent Market this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Red Sox should avoid Free Agency

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

The Red Sox should just avoid Free Agency this year like the plague. I just read they are very interested in bringing back Adam LaRoche, they have been connected to Tori Hunter and Dan Haren. They should just avoid free agency this year. Most free agents are either on the wrong side of 30, in decline or just not a good fit here. The Red Sox should just stick to the trade market this season and stay away from the Free Agent Market this year.

Isn't that what the Red Sox generally did last offseason?

However, I agree that big-ticket free agency is not the route to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A good low budget "Cody Ross" type move in FA will be well recieved again Im sure, Just not the "grienke" type.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

I think signing Hunter or Marcum would be great deals. They would be 1 or 2 yr deals with not a lot of money involved.LaRouche wouldn't necessarily be a bad move, I just don't see ben giving him a boat load of money and for many years. He is what 33? He will be looking for a 3 or 4 yr deal with a big payday. Hey I can't blame the guy. I am just not that interested.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

2 years 3rd option year at the most for Laroche. Hes got a good swing for fenway for sure, but 4 years is scary for an already 33-34 year old.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Adam LaRoche - 1B - Nationals

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox and Rangers are pursuing Adam LaRoche.

Morosi notes that LaRoche, unsurprisingly, is "garnering enough interest" that he will decline the Nationals' $13.3 million qualifying offer. The Nats would like to bring the first baseman back, but it appears that they'll have some competition for his services. LaRoche hit 33 homers and drove in 100 runs for the Nats this season. Related: Red Sox, Rangers  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

we have to go with free agency....the only way we should give up good prospects is for pitching....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

FA is a necessary evil. You must have a good balance of Veterans and young homegrown players.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The Red Sox cannot avoid free agency totally or they will never get back into the AL East race.

I do not like the idea of long term, over pays for guys in their 30s, but there are a lot of guys who will be available who will help the team in 2013.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great thread, and Im serious about this. I agree, Hunter 37 years old, geez. Mike Cameron 2. That Reddick trade is going to haunt this team for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I never saw why they were in a rush to move Reddick. Bailey suxs if you ask me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great thread, and Im serious about this. I agree, Hunter 37 years old, geez. Mike Cameron 2. That Reddick trade is going to haunt this team for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I never saw why they were in a rush to move Reddick. Bailey suxs if you ask me.

[/QUOTE]

wasn't so much a rush to move reddick as it was a rush to get a closer.. especially when bard was planning on moving to the roto

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Red Sox have to buy few free agents to buy some time for these young kids in the farm system to get ready to play at the major league level in 2014 to on.

Heck no way that Iggy, Boegret, Bradley, Lavarnway, etc all can play every day at the major league level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FA is a necessary evil. You must have a good balance of Veterans and young homegrown players.

[/QUOTE]

Scott Boras is one of the reasons why.  LOL

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with this post. Unless we can get someone on our terms. Like Laroche 3yrs/39mil; Anibal Sanchez 3yrs/42mil; Dan Haren incentive laden deal that pays him like ace if he pitches like one. But as we all know FA leads to overpaying for talent. Would love RS to pull off deal w/ Mets for J.Niese & Ike Davis and where we don't have to give up Boegarts/Barnes/Bradley make the deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

FA is not bad especially if what you sign is better than what you have. LaRoche is better than loney and Gomez.

A Sanchez and Haren are better than anyone that is currently on the staff.

Hunter is better than Ross. A better defensive and offensive player.

FA is absolutely necessary not signing the right players to the right contract is usually what makes FA evil.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

seeAs see I Denver saw signing CC as's bad. I believe he will be as good as he was in TB. Which was the best LF in the AL for 5 years. I also believe the trade was dumb but only time wil tell.

i have also seen how trading talent can hamstring a team. I always think of Jeff Bagwell and others when the RS speak of trading talent. I do not wish to see them trade any of the top guys they have in the minors for a one or two year fix.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/winter-meetings-anibal-sanchez-free-agent-contract-110812

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FA is not bad especially if what you sign is better than what you have. LaRoche is better than loney and Gomez.

FA is absolutely necessary not signing the right players to the right contract is usually what makes FA evil.

[/QUOTE]

so misled or misinformed, I am embarrassed for you

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so misled or misinformed, I am embarrassed for you

[/QUOTE]

don't be since it is my opinion.

Hunter has been a better hitter and defensive player his whole career and despite being 36 was better last year.

sanchez proved in the WS that he does have the ability to pitch in big games. Outside of Clay and Jon not one of the RS pitchers has shown the ability to be consistent or able to pitch in big games yet

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Did Beckett prove he had the "ability" to pitch in the WS? What has Clay done anymore than Elles to show us he is worthy? 

Do you want to make the team better Jim or just screw it up more? Hunter? Youk? Sanchez? ROFL!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did Beckett prove he had the "ability" to pitch in the WS? What has Jon done anymore than Elles to show us he is worthy? 

Do you want to make the team better Jim or just screw it up more? Hunter? Youk? Sanchez? ROFL!

[/QUOTE]

I find it funny you go to Josh when he is gone. You also go to Elles and he was not in my conversation. I also never mentioned Youk.

Yes Jon and Clay have both proven consistency and abilities to pitch in big game despite last year. Clay showed despite a bad start he could recover and pitch well. As stated Sanches proved his abilities.

i also you do not dispute the fact that Hunter is better than Ross offensively and defensively even at the age go 36. 

However you seem to bring in crap (Josh/Youk) that has nothing to do with the post. Are you a politician?????

Sections
Shortcuts