Red Sox showing interest in Padres’ Chris Denorfia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Red Sox showing interest in Padres’ Chris Denorfia

Red Sox showing interest in Padres’ Chris Denorfia

Drew Silva

Jan 5, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

8 Comments chris denorfia gettyGetty Images

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe explains:

Chris Denorfia, OF, Padres — While the Red Sox don’t believe they can carry another outfielder, they have expressed some interest in Denorfia, a righthanded bat with a little power who can play center field. The Red Sox might be able to swing a move like this if they deal [Mike] Carp or Daniel Nava somewhere.

Denorfia, 33, has hit .285/.340/.419 with 18 home runs, 40 doubles and 24 stolen bases over his last 274 games for the Padres and he is owed just $2.25 million in 2014. He has logged 155 career starts in center field and the Red Sox want somebody who can provide insurance behind Jackie Bradley, who is tasked with having to replace Jacoby Ellsbury.

Nava registered an outstanding .303/.385/.445 batting line in 2013, but he’s limited to playing first base and corner outfield. Carp also hit well last year for the Red Sox, but his defensive profile is much the same

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Red Sox showing interest in Padres’ Chris Denorfia

I don't see the value of losing either Carp or Nava for a 33 year old with only part time experience.  Nava is blossoming - or rather, continues to blossom - against all odds.  Carp is finally living up to the early promise scouts saw in him and he is doing it here ....

Just sayin....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't trade either Carp or Nava! Both are good hitters and they have a little power, they could trade one of them based upon their both being predominantly left handed hitters, though technically Nava is a switch hitter. Denorfria is a decent ballplayer but he's not worth trading either Carp or Nava for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't trade either Carp or Nava! Both are good hitters and they have a little power, they could trade one of them based upon their both being predominantly left handed hitters, though technically Nava is a switch hitter. Denorfria is a decent ballplayer but he's not worth trading either Carp or Nava for him.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think they trade one of those two for Denorfria, but rather a likely scenario would be to trade Carp to the Brewers for a minor leaguer and then trade a lesser minor leaguer for Denorfria.  Another (less favorable in my opinion) possibility would be a 3-way deal where the Sox trade Carp to Milwaukee, Milw sends a minor leaguer to Boston and one to SD, and SD sends Denorfira to the Sox.  The Sox would get a lesser minor leaguer in this deal but would not give up one.  I prefer trading Carp for a decent prospect then trading a lesser one for Denorfria (if the Sox did indeed do this).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think this is the type of move that I would want the Red Sox to make, except I would want to trade another piece besides Nava or Carp.  We lack a quality outfielder to backup all positions in the outfield right now in the minors and this is a huge weakness going into next year.  The player I would want to trade would be Gomes though.  I think Nava is a much better hitter and a better fielder.  Nava can also play right, first and left where Gomes is limited.

Carp is one of the rarest commodities in baseball right now.  An affordable power bat who gets on base.  These guys don't grow on trees and he is a huge depth component of the team if Napoli or Ortiz get injured.  He also filled in a crucial role of a clutch pinch hitter off the bench for us, is young and we control him for years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox showing interest in Padres’ Chris Denorfia

Drew Silva

Chris Denorfia, OF, Padres — While the Red Sox don’t believe they can carry another outfielder, they have expressed some interest in Denorfia, a righthanded bat with a little power who can play center field. The Red Sox might be able to swing a move like this if they deal [Mike] Carp or Daniel Nava somewhere.

Denorfia, 33, has hit .285/.340/.419 with 18 home runs, 40 doubles and 24 stolen bases over his last 274 games for the Padres and he is owed just $2.25 million in 2014. He has logged 155 career starts in center field and the Red Sox want somebody who can provide insurance behind Jackie Bradley, who is tasked with having to replace Jacoby Ellsbury.

Nava registered an outstanding .303/.385/.445 batting line in 2013, but he’s limited to playing first base and corner outfield. Carp also hit well last year for the Red Sox, but his defensive profile is much the same

[/QUOTE]

I like the idea, he is from CT, maintains a decent BA and has good splits

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see the value of losing either Carp or Nava for a 33 year old with only part time experience.  Nava is blossoming - or rather, continues to blossom - against all odds.  Carp is finally living up to the early promise scouts saw in him and he is doing it here ....

Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]With 18 home runs last year from the right side, I would trade Carp for him as Nava is a good switch hitter !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]With 18 home runs last year from the right side, I would trade Carp for him as Nava is a good switch hitter !!

[/QUOTE]

READ THE GD POSTS BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR STUPID COMMENTS!  It's 18 HR over his past 274 games, not last season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Red Sox showing interest in Padres’ Chris Denorfia

Drew Silva

The advantage in losing Carp is simple.  He plays pretty ugly defense in LF and at 1B and is only good against RHP.  Denorfia doesn't really need to be platooned so he would be very nice insurance if Victorino got hurt as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Red Sox showing interest in Padres’ Chris Denorfia

Drew Silva

[/QUOTE]

The advantage in losing Carp is simple.  He plays pretty ugly defense in LF and at 1B and is only good against RHP.  Denorfia doesn't really need to be platooned so he would be very nice insurance if Victorino got hurt as well.

[/QUOTE]

Carp is a career 265 hitter vs. lefties with a 736 OPS

Carp is a career 267 hitter vs. righties with a 791 OPS

He doesn't need a platoon partner and is fairly even against both lefties and righties.  The only reason we platooned him last year is because we had Napoli and we simply wanted to get Carp at bats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

There is also a report on MLBTR saying that they may be interested in bringing back Scott Podsednick though he's a bit older at 38 he might be a good fill in for Bradley.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]

The value is that Denorfia is a better complimentry bench player to Bradley and Victorino, because he can play both RF & CF, bats righthanded and can also pinch run. So when the Sox are facing a tough lefty they can sit Bradley and not lose much on defense. Almost as important it would allow the Sox to leave Victorino in right, on those day when they sit Bradley. 

While I agree that both Carp and Nava are solid, they're somewhat redundant in that both are lefthanded hitters, that profile as 1B / LF. Nava has the most value of the two because he's a switch hitter who can play RF too and hevand Gomes are a solid platoon in left. I I had to chose between Nava and Carp, i'd chose to keep Nava. So the question is are we a better team with Denorfia or Carp as the forth OF? My vote would be Denorfia...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]

READ THE GD POSTS BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR STUPID COMMENTS!  It's 18 HR over his past 274 games, not last season.

[/QUOTE]Thats even better, spread over 274 games !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Thats even better, spread over 274 games !!

[/QUOTE]

Math is not your strong suit, is it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it.

Just Bill being,  well......  Bill.  It's all about padding his post totals...  quantity,  not quality.

Ya stepped in doo-doo once again Captain Fantastic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Tongue OutROFL! It seems time for Bill's Dad to reacquaint him with the woodshed. Take it like a man William!! 

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it.

Just Bill being,  well......  Bill.  It's all about padding his post totals...  quantity,  not quality.

Ya stepped in doo-doo once again Captain Fantastic.

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]

The value is that Denorfia is a better complimentry bench player to Bradley and Victorino, because he can play both RF & CF, bats righthanded and can also pinch run. So when the Sox are facing a tough lefty they can sit Bradley and not lose much on defense. Almost as important it would allow the Sox to leave Victorino in right, on those day when they sit Bradley. 

While I agree that both Carp and Nava are solid, they're somewhat redundant in that both are lefthanded hitters, that profile as 1B / LF. Nava has the most value of the two because he's a switch hitter who can play RF too and hevand Gomes are a solid platoon in left. I I had to chose between Nava and Carp, i'd chose to keep Nava. So the question is are we a better team with Denorfia or Carp as the forth OF? My vote would be Denorfia...

[/QUOTE]

Finally someone got it right! This trade would not be about Carp or Nava, rather a solid player who could play CF in a platoon or if JBJ were to struggle again. Carp and Nava are very similar in that they play LF/1B. The only down side would be if Naps went down because Carp is probably the only guy I would put at 1B on a fulltime basis, Nava can play there not sure I would want him there everyday?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Finally someone got it right! This trade would not be about Carp or Nava, rather a solid player who could play CF in a platoon or if JBJ were to struggle again. Carp and Nava are very similar in that they play LF/1B. The only down side would be if Naps went down because Carp is probably the only guy I would put at 1B on a fulltime basis, Nava can play there not sure I would want him there everyday?

Of the 61 1Bmen with over 700 innings at 1B, Carp ranks 45th in UZR/150 at -5.3.

I;m not sure we should make any decisions based on him being a better fielder at 1B than Nava.

Nava is a better fielding LF'er, and Gomes is even worse. Papi or Middlebrooks could play 1B in a pinch as well.

I think if anyone gets traded to make room for a CF'er, it should be Gomes, since Carp can play LF vs LHPs. I do not think Gomes will be traded though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I think if anyone gets traded to make room for a CF'er, it should be Gomes, since Carp can play LF vs LHPs. I do not think Gomes will be traded though.

Moon,

Not sure i agree...Gomes when he's not playing left provides us power off the bench late in close games and is one swing of the bat from making it interesting...His intangibles and presence in the clubhouse are both factors that when weighed with his tangle skills, (power and good plate discipline) make his contribution to the team greater than the sum of his parts. 

Since Carp and Nava both have similar skill sets trading one to aquire a player to address a flaw. Makes the most sense..of the two Nava is the better player, so trading Carp makes the most sense if the return is a player that can play CF. 

Sections
Shortcuts