Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

YES!!!! I wanted this guy signed to back salty up...Looks like Lav will either start the year in AAA or 1 of Lav/Salty will soon be part of a trade.

Since Ross is a RHH catcher, I think Salty will be here in 2013.

Good call Southpaw.  I am glad that the Sox signed a veteran  back up catcher who is supposedly defensively oriented.  According to his scouting report, he has good pitch calling skills, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.  He does have a great arm though, for those who are overly concerned with controlling the running game.

It looks like the Sox will be going with a Salty/Ross tandem, which I can live with.  What the plans are for Lavarnway is anybody's guess. 

The contract is a little steep, IMO. However, according to Fangraphs WAR over the past years, he will be well worth $3 mil a year.

[/QUOTE]

Braves fans are pretty upset over this. Ross crushes LHP and plays a solid D. Hes also a great clubhouse guy from all reports. Great move by BC!

[/QUOTE]

Ross' career and 2012 OPS is higher against RHP than LHP.

[/QUOTE]

Salty and Kelly compared to Ross and Salty hasn't improved our club trust me.  Lav will do very well in a year or two just like Reddick. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Fair point about Ross not knowing our staff.  However, I'm not talking about an improvement of Ross over Salty.  IMO, Salty will be the starting catcher.  I'm talking about an improvement of Ross over Lavarnway. 

While Lav has had a little bit of experience with our staff, he has virtually no experience as a major league catcher.  I think we need a veteran in that back up role.  It not only improves the back up position, but I think Salty will also progress more having Ross as a mentor over having Lavarnway as his tandem partner.

[/QUOTE]

Lav hasn't been given half the opportunity Salty has so thats a bit unfair.  The comparison should be the same as with Shoppach and Salty "not Lav" so we really didn't improve much. 

Our FO has a habit of overlooking guys like Reddick and Lav before fully evaluating them, even though our catching and RF positions are just as important as finding a good closer, or signing a much more expensive RF in Ross. 

Thats not how a franchise improves!

[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely false!  Back that up if you can.  Over the past ten years the Sox have KEPT all stars Youkilis, Pedroia, Papelbon, Buccholz, Lester and Ellsbury.  They traded Hanley and Sanchez for a championship, the Reddick deal is off to a bad start but it's early days....other than that it's largely mediocrity that we let go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

this was a good solid move, Ross had the highest batting average for all backup catchers.  Why does this mean there is going to be a trade?  Lavarnway needs another year in triple A.  Yes maybe he then learns to play first base.  There is no way I would trade him unless it fills a spot that the club has.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Fair point about Ross not knowing our staff.  However, I'm not talking about an improvement of Ross over Salty.  IMO, Salty will be the starting catcher.  I'm talking about an improvement of Ross over Lavarnway. 

While Lav has had a little bit of experience with our staff, he has virtually no experience as a major league catcher.  I think we need a veteran in that back up role.  It not only improves the back up position, but I think Salty will also progress more having Ross as a mentor over having Lavarnway as his tandem partner.

[/QUOTE]

Lav hasn't been given half the opportunity Salty has so thats a bit unfair.  The comparison should be the same as with Shoppach and Salty "not Lav" so we really didn't improve much. 

Our FO has a habit of overlooking guys like Reddick and Lav before fully evaluating them, even though our catching and RF positions are just as important as finding a good closer, or signing a much more expensive RF in Ross. 

Thats not how a franchise improves!

[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely false!  Back that up if you can.  Over the past ten years the Sox have KEPT all stars Youkilis, Pedroia, Papelbon, Buccholz, Lester and Ellsbury.  They traded Hanley and Sanchez for a championship, the Reddick deal is off to a bad start but it's early days....other than that it's largely mediocrity that we let go.

[/QUOTE]

This isn't three or four year ago.  We have not done well recently evaluating guys like Reddick, Salty, Kalish, Bard, Iggy, Lav and Rizzo.  Even when we make a trade these days it rarely improves our team.  Dumping 250mil was brilliant but not if we continue to overpay for equal or less talent to replace our youngsters before they are given the same opportunity as those you mention above. 

This is Bens year to show us what he can do with a clean slate and less ML ready talent on the farm.  Repeating the same mistakes won't be the answer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

6 million for 2 seems a little high for a 35 yr old back-up catcher. seems likely there is either something in the works involving salty or lavarnway or they really don't believe lavarnway is going to be ready to fill a part-time slot next year. One way or another this seems like a bridge to Swihart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Nice backup catcher.

This brings more questions than it answers.

Are they looking to trade Lavarnway or Salty?

Funny Laroache and Ross were guys we once had and let go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Seems like a solid move. Nice to have a veteran guy with some pop (.269/.353/.463 with 24 HR and 94 RBI in 577 AB over the last four seasons) to help Salty and/or Lavarnway along.

To those complaining, I'm not sure what exactly you want. Yeah, maybe Ben could go get Joe Mauer to start and Buster Posey to ride the bench behind him, or you could start living in the real world...every team has a backup catcher, and most of them ain't exactly All-Stars. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

This move is a good low cost addition to help the pitching staff.  Ross is a good defensive back up catcher and can hit a little bit also.  I assume he will handle the staff well once he arrives because he is a veteran and a professional.  The problem is our starting catcher is poor defensively and is all or nothing at the bat. I hope Lav is kept around because he has always hit in the minors.  He can spend some time in Pawtucket learning to catch better and maybe play some 1st base if that is an option.  I don't forsee any huge moves this offseason.  I think BC is looking for quality professional players at a good cost.  He will sign them for market value and at minimal years so he can use some funds during the season if needed to improve.  Last year this team had zero flexibilty to improve once the season started.  Now there will be some margin for improvement.  And I for one don't want to see any more entitled, overpaid Prima donnas on the Sox.   Stick to the plan BC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice backup catcher.

[/QUOTE]

This is a perfect example of repeating past mistakes.  We kept guys like Tek and Wake much too long just to replace them with equal or less talented players.  We trade Rizzo because of AGon, then trade Adrian away and are now left with the possibility of Laroache again.

Makes little sense!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not the kind of signing I was hoping for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i like this, salty and ross as our catching tandem and lava either developing further in AAA or part of a trade to fill another hole.

ben is still slow on the draw and scared to pull the trigger though... he really fudged this signing up by waiting so long! shoulda had it done on september 24th!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

The Red Sox's new $6.2-million, two-year deal for David Ross is a sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be available in trade.

The Red Sox are very high on catching prospect Ryan Lavarnway, and they must see the veteran backup Ross as a nice complement to Lavarnway. Ross has an agreement with the Red Sox, sources confirmed.

The Red Sox also have interest in free agent Mike Napoli, and while they likely see him doing the bulk of his playing at first base, there'd be even less opportunity for Saltalamacchia if they sign Napoli, who is by trade a catcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe the Sox can work on more than 1 deal at a time. Lav NEEDS more work and Ross, for those that dont know of him, is a great defensive catcher with a great arm and crushed LHP. Good clubhouse presence too. 6M over 2 years isnt going to hurt them to acquire the best BU catcher in the game.

It might not seem important to some of you, but it is a smart move.

[/QUOTE]

I 2nd That, Lava Is Just Not Ready, I Also Have A Feeling That Bourn Will Be Coming Aboard,

[/QUOTE]

That would be a mistake for what hes asking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

YES!!!! I wanted this guy signed to back salty up...Looks like Lav will either start the year in AAA or 1 of Lav/Salty will soon be part of a trade.

Since Ross is a RHH catcher, I think Salty will be here in 2013.

Good call Southpaw.  I am glad that the Sox signed a veteran  back up catcher who is supposedly defensively oriented.  According to his scouting report, he has good pitch calling skills, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.  He does have a great arm though, for those who are overly concerned with controlling the running game.

It looks like the Sox will be going with a Salty/Ross tandem, which I can live with.  What the plans are for Lavarnway is anybody's guess. 

The contract is a little steep, IMO. However, according to Fangraphs WAR over the past years, he will be well worth $3 mil a year.

[/QUOTE]

Braves fans are pretty upset over this. Ross crushes LHP and plays a solid D. Hes also a great clubhouse guy from all reports. Great move by BC!

[/QUOTE]

Ross' career and 2012 OPS is higher against RHP than LHP.

[/QUOTE]

Salty and Kelly compared to Ross and Salty hasn't improved our club trust me.  Lav will do very well in a year or two just like Reddick. 

[/QUOTE]

It has improved in the fact that Lav will get the playing time he needs in AAA, and Salty will have a mentor that can help him improve. Theres no way Lav should be the starter in MLB in 2013...Ross has a better arm than Shop and he frames pitches better. That, and pitchers have all said they love throwing to him. His cs%, for those that love that stat, is north of 40%. So I guess it would be an improvement.

After next year they can re evaluate the catching situation again and make a decision.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Well that was one way to get Ross cheaper.  Get a different Ross...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice backup catcher.

[/QUOTE]

This is a perfect example of repeating past mistakes.  We kept guys like Tek and Wake much too long just to replace them with equal or less talented players.  We trade Rizzo because of AGon, then trade Adrian away and are now left with the possibility of Laroache again.

Makes little sense!

[/QUOTE]

At the time, nobody was worried that we let Rizzo go for A-Gon. The FO certainly evaluated and knew Rizzo was a talented prospect, but in getting Gonzo he was now blocked. They spoke very highly of Rizzo. Hindsight at its best. That was the right move for what they were acquiring. Nobody on this planet thought Gonzo would be gonzo within 2 years. Im sure that includes you too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Sorry to be a POLYANNA but how can anyone not like this signing? By all accounts every one in Atlanta and the Braves is not happy he is gone. Then it also reported that he is the best back up catcher in MLB.

How can you not like it?

You have no idea what the plan is for Salty or Larv and are only hypothisizing and getting upset.

It is only the first move by the RS thus it is the first domino.

And as stated many times it also goes to show that not one of us knows their plan nor does anyone in the media. This guy was not on anyone's list for leaving Atlanta or coming to the RS.

So despite the threads calling for BC to do something and that he is an idiot I suggest some stop the name calling since despite your all knowing comments you know diddly squat.

Of course I'm just a POLYANNA or a BOOTLICKER by some all knowing posters standards

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry to be a POLYANNA but how can anyone not like this signing? By all accounts every one in Atlanta and the Braves is not happy he is gone. Then it also reported that he is the best back up catcher in MLB.

How can you not like it?

You have no idea what the plan is for Salty or Larv and are only hypothisizing and getting upset.

It is only the first move by the RS thus it is the first domino.

And as stated many times it also goes to show that not one of us knows their plan nor does anyone in the media. This guy was not on anyone's list for leaving Atlanta or coming to the RS.

So despite the threads calling for BC to do something and that he is an idiot I suggest some stop the name calling since despite your all knowing comments you know diddly squat.

Of course I'm just a POLYANNA or a BOOTLICKER by some all knowing posters standards

[/QUOTE]

Ross was on my list (its in the "time to bench salty" thread)...I wanted him as a BU so lav could get more playing time in AAA. maybe thats why Im extra happy they signed him.

And if were POLYANNAS/BOOTLICKERS for understanding and liking this move, then so be it...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice backup catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Makes little sense!

[/QUOTE]It was necessary to trade AGon in order to get rid of the Crawford and Beckett contracts. It was necessary to trade Rizzo to get AGon. It is much easier to see things if you remove your hindsight glasses..

[/QUOTE]

It was only necessary because we made the wrong choices in the first place.  Hindsight is a tough thing to call.  Theo rode an already good team, our solid farm, Manny and made a few good moves before his lack of good judgement became obvious to everyone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice backup catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Makes little sense!

[/QUOTE]It was necessary to trade AGon in order to get rid of the Crawford and Beckett contracts. It was necessary to trade Rizzo to get AGon. It is much easier to see things if you remove your hindsight glasses..

[/QUOTE]

It was only necessary because we made the wrong choices in the first place.  Hindsight is a tough thing to call.  Theo rode an already good team, our solid farm, Manny and made a few good moves before his lack of good judgement became obvious to everyone.

[/QUOTE]

Are you saying you didnt think A-Gon was a good trade and didnt think he was going to help this team craze? I think almost all, if not all of RSN liked this deal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice backup catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Makes little sense!

[/QUOTE]

At the time, nobody was worried that we let Rizzo go for A-Gon. The FO certainly evaluated and knew Rizzo was a talented prospect, but in getting Gonzo he was now blocked. They spoke very highly of Rizzo. Hindsight at its best. That was the right move for what they were acquiring. Nobody on this planet thought Gonzo would be gonzo within 2 years. Im sure that includes you too.

[/QUOTE]

Southpaw, AGon was a very good move, as was Beltre and Martinez because they were proven OB guys.  It's not the moves you make but how you continue to build around and keep them in the mix.  In our case there has been little change in our most glaring weaknesses for years because we have made two bad moves to every good one.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice backup catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Makes little sense!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Southpaw, AGon was a very good move, as was Beltre and Martinez because they were proven OB guys.  It's not the moves you make but how you continue to build around and keep them in the mix.  In our case there has been little change in our most glaring weaknesses for years because we have made two bad moves to every good one.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Theo and this FO strayed away from the original plan. But now with the big trade this summer I believe you will see that BC will implement that plan once again. Just give him a chance before you squash him. Let this winter play out first. I think most here will like what direction we start to move in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice backup catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Makes little sense!

[/QUOTE]

It was only necessary because we made the wrong choices in the first place.  Hindsight is a tough thing to call.  Theo rode a great team, our solid farm, Manny and two or three good moves before his lack of good judgement became obvious to everyone.

What does this mean "Hindsight is a tough thing to call?"

Hindsight is child's play since anyone can do it and be 100% correct all of the time.

Extending Beckett and signing Crawford at the time were good moves. Who knew that Beckett would lose his velocity and control. Who knew that CC would become injury prone? Beckett and Crawford might do well next year and then will you play the hindsight card once again?

[/QUOTE]

I dont and didnt agree with these moves at the time. I wanted to wait til after the season to resign JB if we were going to and CC was just a bad deal from the start like Lackey was. Gonzo was a good move at the time, but not those other 3.

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts