Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After he left Boston in 2008, he's been averaging around 55 games a year. Salty is a Free Agent after next year, so probably right, keep Salty let Lavarnway get another year in the Minors, and bring him up in case of injuries.

[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking. Salty will have 2013 to prove if hes worth an extension or to test FA. Lavarnway will have 2013 to see if he can be considered a starting catcher in MLB. Having Tek, Tuck and now Ross around will be a positive for this team in that regard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Sox sign Napoli at this point, it is probably to make him the full-time 1Bman, and might mean they actually trade Salty away.  But I question whether Napoli is a better value than Youk at 1B anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli at 1B, Salty catching and Iggy possibly playing SS would not improve our OBP, or most likely get us very far next season.  None of these guys can hold their own on an every day basis.

We better find the right pieces to help if thats our plan. 

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.  These three players are NOT the genesis of a powerhouse offense.  But the real weakness of this team is still its starting pitching.  I will get excited when Ben finally addresses that. 

Signing a backup catcher was unexpected, though not a bad addition.  It makes one wonder if something else is in the works or just Ben taking advantage of a good player being available and saying yes; then dealing with the abundance at a later date.  Who knows...but I do know this one signing alone has done nothing to improve the 2013 outlook.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.  These three players are NOT the genesis of a powerhouse offense.  But the real weakness of this team is still its starting pitching.  I will get excited when Ben finally addresses that. 

Signing a backup catcher was unexpected, though not a bad addition.  It makes one wonder if something else is in the works or just Ben taking advantage of a good player being available and saying yes; then dealing with the abundance at a later date.  Who knows...but I do know this one signing alone has done nothing to improve the 2013 outlook.

[/QUOTE]

par, I doubt you'll see BC holding a press conference to announce the Ross signing...however, his job is to build a full 25 man roster and if getting this backup catcher was the first move that fit his plan so be it...there is more to come...there has to be!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Signing a backup catcher was unexpected, though not a bad addition. It makes one wonder if something else is in the works or just Ben taking advantage of a good player being available and saying yes; then dealing with the abundance at a later date. Who knows...but I do know this one signing alone has done nothing to improve the 2013 outlook.

I'm not sure whether it was unexpected or not.  I would have been surprised/disappointed if a back up catcher had not been signed.  To me, the idea of having Salty/Lav was just not going to cut it.  Lavarnway is too inexperienced, and while Salty is progressing, he is not where he needs to be yet defensively.  He will benefit from the addition of a veteran back up, IMO. 

This is not a season changing move, but I do think that it improves the 2013 outlook.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A 35 year old , career .238 hitting backup catcher.   Yeah.  Great move , Ben.  We can never have too many ham and eggers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Waaaaay too much money and waaaaaay too soon to sign David Ross who has been and always will be a backup catcher when the Red Sox need PITCHING, PITCHING and more PITCHING (as well as some other things).

3.1 million a year for a guy 35 year old who is going to get 250-300 (or less) at bats at the bottom of the lineup and hit maybe 6-8 home runs?

Lavarmway can do that and he only costs half a million a year for the next three or four years.

Ross may be better defensively right now than Lavarnway, but I just don't see rushing out to sign this guy before some other positions have been addressed.  I think that I would have been much happier if they signed Cody Ross.

I do hope that Ross and the Red Sox make me eat these words in October of 2013.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If the Sox sign Napoli at this point, it is probably to make him the full-time 1Bman, and might mean they actually trade Salty away.  But I question whether Napoli is a better value than Youk at 1B anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli at 1B, Salty catching and Iggy possibly playing SS would not improve our OBP, or most likely get us very far next season.  None of these guys can hold their own on an every day basis.

We better find the right pieces to help if thats our plan. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree par, pitching should be our first priority.  By signing Ross all we really did was get a better "back up catcher" than Salty.  Neither are starters, I really hope our FO at some point begins to look at every position and not just make the same moves every year. 

Last year Kelly and now Ross?  looks an awful lot like we began our last off season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Certainly, improving our pitching is our priority.

Doesn't improving defensively behind the plate improve the pitching?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Sorry, I have been busy watching the "BIG O" FALL APART........  Who the he!! is David Ross ????????????????????????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Certainly, improving our pitching is our priority.

Doesn't improving defensively behind the plate improve the pitching?

[/QUOTE]

Ross has a better arm and bat than Salty but still doesn't know our staff as well so we really didn't improve here Kimmi.  Neither of these guys should be looked at as our future in any other role than a back up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry, I have been busy watching the "BIG O" FALL APART........  Who the he!! is David Ross ????????????????????????

[/QUOTE]
    The Next Carlton Fisk....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Just for the record, Lavarnway is your starting catcher, Salty will be traded !!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I believe the Sox can work on more than 1 deal at a time. Lav NEEDS more work and Ross, for those that dont know of him, is a great defensive catcher with a great arm and crushed LHP. Good clubhouse presence too. 6M over 2 years isnt going to hurt them to acquire the best BU catcher in the game.

It might not seem important to some of you, but it is a smart move.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Ross has a better arm and bat than Salty but still doesn't know our staff as well so we really didn't improve here Kimmi. Neither of these guys should be looked at as our future in any other role than a back up.

Fair point about Ross not knowing our staff.  However, I'm not talking about an improvement of Ross over Salty.  IMO, Salty will be the starting catcher.  I'm talking about an improvement of Ross over Lavarnway. 

While Lav has had a little bit of experience with our staff, he has virtually no experience as a major league catcher.  I think we need a veteran in that back up role.  It not only improves the back up position, but I think Salty will also progress more having Ross as a mentor over having Lavarnway as his tandem partner.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe the Sox can work on more than 1 deal at a time. Lav NEEDS more work and Ross, for those that dont know of him, is a great defensive catcher with a great arm and crushed LHP. Good clubhouse presence too. 6M over 2 years isnt going to hurt them to acquire the best BU catcher in the game.

It might not seem important to some of you, but it is a smart move.

[/QUOTE]

I 2nd That, Lava Is Just Not Ready, I Also Have A Feeling That Bourn Will Be Coming Aboard,

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Several pundits have labeled him as the best backup catcher in the majors.

No he isn't the next Carlton Fisk.

No he isn't headed for the Hall of Fame.

Just a backup catcher who will have 180 ABs per season, 10-12 HRs over the monster, and hit .270.

No need to get excited, disappointed, or be sarcastic. It isn't that big of a deal.

[/QUOTE]

Thats 12 More Hrs Then Lava Would Hit, Im Excited....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross has a better arm and bat than Salty but still doesn't know our staff as well so we really didn't improve here Kimmi. Neither of these guys should be looked at as our future in any other role than a back up.

Fair point about Ross not knowing our staff.  However, I'm not talking about an improvement of Ross over Salty.  IMO, Salty will be the starting catcher.  I'm talking about an improvement of Ross over Lavarnway. 

While Lav has had a little bit of experience with our staff, he has virtually no experience as a major league catcher.  I think we need a veteran in that back up role.  It not only improves the back up position, but I think Salty will also progress more having Ross as a mentor over having Lavarnway as his tandem partner.

[/QUOTE]

Lav hasn't been given half the opportunity Salty has so thats a bit unfair.  The comparison should be the same as with Shoppach and Salty "not Lav" so we really didn't improve much. 

Our FO has a habit of overlooking guys like Reddick and Lav before fully evaluating them, even though our catching and RF positions are just as important as finding a good closer, or signing a much more expensive RF in Ross. 

Thats not how a franchise improves!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

YES!!!! I wanted this guy signed to back salty up...Looks like Lav will either start the year in AAA or 1 of Lav/Salty will soon be part of a trade.

Since Ross is a RHH catcher, I think Salty will be here in 2013.

Good call Southpaw.  I am glad that the Sox signed a veteran  back up catcher who is supposedly defensively oriented.  According to his scouting report, he has good pitch calling skills, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.  He does have a great arm though, for those who are overly concerned with controlling the running game.

It looks like the Sox will be going with a Salty/Ross tandem, which I can live with.  What the plans are for Lavarnway is anybody's guess. 

The contract is a little steep, IMO. However, according to Fangraphs WAR over the past years, he will be well worth $3 mil a year.

[/QUOTE]

Braves fans are pretty upset over this. Ross crushes LHP and plays a solid D. Hes also a great clubhouse guy from all reports. Great move by BC!

[/QUOTE]

Ross' career and 2012 OPS is higher against RHP than LHP.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A 35 year old , career .238 hitting backup catcher.   Yeah.  Great move , Ben.  We can never have too many ham and eggers.

[/QUOTE]

Batting average, Denny?  Is that the best you can do?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What do you know?  Another thing the idiot knows nothing about.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Just for the record, Lavarnway is your starting catcher, Salty will be traded !!!

[/QUOTE]

Aren't you hot off your prediction of Obama losing the election, idiot?

Sections
Shortcuts