Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you knew anything about "this guy" would realize how incompetent you and the Red Sox GM is. This old man had better start and Salty and his arbitration better net more than dumpster trash.

Yeah, they should have listened to you last winter and spent more on Rmaon "the statue" Hernandez.

Last winter, try again, stooge. In 2010 and 2011, when you wanted millions spent on washed up Varitek, Hernandez would have been the solid platoon catcher I said he would be.

Yeas, they should have listened to you last winter and spent two milliong on Tim "beer gut" Wastefield.

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I think you actually believe your own lies.

It was last winter that you said we should sign Hernandez. Your lies are so blatant. Hernandez was not available to sign in 2010, and re-signed with the Reds on 11/3/10 for the 2011 season.

Your lies are as as bad as Mitt's. 

You argued for weeks about Ramon's defense last winter- thinking he was still as good as he was years before. He wasn't. You were wrong. Again.

Ramon signed for $6.4M/2 almost a year ago, and you blasted Sox management for not getting him. He was 35 at the time he signed. Can you say"wheelchair"... oh yeah, you do say that all the time, don't you?

Ramon played less games (52) than VTek did while in his "wheelchair" and hit a robust .217 with a whopping .247 OBP. I know, I know, his 25% CS rate was so off-the-charts good, it outweighed his poor offense.

Thinking VMart is a good defensive catcher at this age, when he never was even in his prime, is silly clown logic.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rossda01.shtml

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Folks, seriously, Cherry doesn't have a clue about the MLB FA and trade market. 

This from the guy who is usually 200-300% undercalling what FAs will sign for.

Last year he listed 5 starters we should sign for $1M, and not one signed for less than $3M. He claimed AGon would not be extended in April, and said he'd get $17-18M/yr. Later, he tried to wiggle out of his mistake by saying he meant counting the low cost season as part of the extension, which shows you right there how little he understands even what an extension is. He also claimed mauer would sign for $17M/yr.

Now, the only specific offer he is making that even comes close to reality is for J Guthrie at $10M/2.

That will turn us into an instant contender.  (LOL!)

Silly clown!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Terry Doyle too, looks like we are back baby. Young Ben is going to have to do a hell of a lot better than these guys if he wants to get the Red Sox back to contention. What are we paupers now, we just dumped AGon, Beckett, Crawford, Dice K, Punto, Youkillis, and Ross, over 87 million in payroll and this is the best we can do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Terry Doyle too, looks like we are back baby. Young Ben is going to have to do a hell of a lot better than these guys if he wants to get the Red Sox back to contention. What are we paupers now, we just dumped AGon, Beckett, Crawford, Dice K, Punto, Youkillis, and Ross, over 87 million in payroll and this is the best we can do.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Its one move. Or are you just looking for something to complain about?

This opens up the door to trade one of our catchers to acquire players we need at other positions. I figured you would understand that concept.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Hey Ben its the other Ross we want. LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Probably means no Napoli

[/QUOTE]

Thats the way I see it too. This team is going to go the cheap way, with prospects, high end guys signed at bargain prices, and trades for lower salaried players. Larry Luchinno is at the controls with Ben getting him his coffee and polishing his shoes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Until Young Ben makes a good trade and not the throwaway garbage he has picked up my confidence in him is lacking. All he picks up with the exception of Cody Ross is junk. As far as the Dodger trade do not be naive and not think that Larry Luchinno was the brains behind that deal. That is why Luchinno's contract was picked up again.

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really? Its one move. Or are you just looking for something to complain about?

This opens up the door to trade one of our catchers to acquire players we need at other positions. I figured you would understand that concept.

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Probably means no Napoli

[/QUOTE]

Thats the way I see it too. This team is going to go the cheap way, with prospects, high end guys signed at bargain prices, and trades for lower salaried players. Larry Luchinno is at the controls with Ben getting him his coffee and polishing his shoes.

[/QUOTE]

If Lucchino is the brains and the guy who's really at the controls, shouldn't it be him you're blasting for any bad moves and non-moves?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Exactly, Hfx.  If it's perceived as a good move, Lucchino's behind it, a bad one, it's Cheringtons doing. No way of knowing, either way. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross has a better arm and bat than Salty but still doesn't know our staff as well so we really didn't improve here Kimmi. Neither of these guys should be looked at as our future in any other role than a back up.

Fair point about Ross not knowing our staff.  However, I'm not talking about an improvement of Ross over Salty.  IMO, Salty will be the starting catcher.  I'm talking about an improvement of Ross over Lavarnway. 

While Lav has had a little bit of experience with our staff, he has virtually no experience as a major league catcher.  I think we need a veteran in that back up role.  It not only improves the back up position, but I think Salty will also progress more having Ross as a mentor over having Lavarnway as his tandem partner.

[/QUOTE]

If Salty didn't improve having Varitek as a mentor, what makes you think he will with Ross?

Saltalamacchia Alia liability behind the plate alink his lack of game calling skill is likely the reason for the miserable pitching.

The Sox best be trading him instead of Lav.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross has a better arm and bat than Salty but still doesn't know our staff as well so we really didn't improve here Kimmi. Neither of these guys should be looked at as our future in any other role than a back up.

Fair point about Ross not knowing our staff.  However, I'm not talking about an improvement of Ross over Salty.  IMO, Salty will be the starting catcher.  I'm talking about an improvement of Ross over Lavarnway. 

While Lav has had a little bit of experience with our staff, he has virtually no experience as a major league catcher.  I think we need a veteran in that back up role.  It not only improves the back up position, but I think Salty will also progress more having Ross as a mentor over having Lavarnway as his tandem partner.

[/QUOTE]

If Salty didn't improve having Varitek as a mentor, what makes you think he will with Ross?

Saltalamacchia Alia liability behind the plate alink his lack of game calling skill is likely the reason for the miserable pitching.

The Sox best be trading him instead of Lav.

[/QUOTE]

if defense of salty, are you aware the BP attributed their lights out turnaround to salty and his game calling skills? also they pitching was equally bad when shopp was catching. i'd say it was sh!tty pitching moreso than bad gamecalling by salty..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Staff ERA the last 2 years by catcher:

Varitek 3.57

Salty 4.62

Shoppach 3.77

Salty 4.84

Remarkable consistency there, the staff ERA was just over a run higher with Salty both years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty showed a remarkable defensive/game-calling improvement last season after a tough April. He's still 2 years younger than VTek was when he turned things around defensively.

I'm sure other GMs have noticed this, and despite softy's claims that Salty is no better than a back-up MLB catcher and his ignorance of the state of MLb catching these days, Salty will bring back a nice return via trade this winter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It really only takes a single IQ point to realize David Ross will not be THE major addition this offseason.  And with 2 IQ points, you might even see more implications just from this signing.   Do I need to explain even further?

But my other option is to simply sit back and wait and when there is one of those "minor league free agent signing" days, we could explain to you AGAIN that this is really not a major deal and not worth getting frustrated over.

But I suppose is explaining that not every deal will be a major one did not work in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011, I should have no reason to believe it will now...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they keep Salty then he will probably be platooned with David Ross. Salty hit best as a LHB and 24 of his 25 HRs were as a LHB. After reading Peter Abraham's column this morning I think that Salty will be traded.

[/QUOTE]

The problem with a Salty/Ross L-R platoon is that Ross actually hits RHPs way better than LHPs the past 2 years and slightly better over his career.

Salty should not start vs any LHPs.

Ross actually matches up better with Lava, who presumably will hit LHPs better than RHPs in the bigs. The downside of a Ross/Lava platoon is that Lava will not get much playing time to further his development on defense.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The early moves are just filler moves. Maier,Doyle and Ross each are for depth.Salty has the most value as far as trade goes but he's a terrible defensive catcher.However the addition of another catcher doesn't mean anyone is going to be traded.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The early moves are just filler moves. Maier,Doyle and Ross each are for depth.Salty has the most value as far as trade goes but he's a terrible defensive catcher.However the addition of another catcher doesn't mean anyone is going to be traded.

[/QUOTE]

For reasons related to salary and contro, it is easy to argue Lavarnway has more trade value than Saltalamacchia

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For reasons related to salary and contro, it is easy to argue Lavarnway has more trade value than Saltalamacchia

[/QUOTE]

plus lava for more upside than salty does... even if he ends up as a DH or 1st baseman.

speaking of which, the Astros go to the AL this season. maybe they would be interested in Lava as their DH?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

plus lava for more upside than salty does... even if he ends up as a DH or 1st baseman.

speaking of which, the Astros go to the AL this season. maybe they would be interested in Lava as their DH?

[/QUOTE]

Lav is going to end up a DH or 1b. His skills behind the plate are slow and stiff...He just seems to have issues moving that big frame around. I dont know, Maybe he will get better. Lets just hope Swihart and Vasquez are not too far away.

Sections
Shortcuts