Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Terry Doyle too, looks like we are back baby. Young Ben is going to have to do a hell of a lot better than these guys if he wants to get the Red Sox back to contention. What are we paupers now, we just dumped AGon, Beckett, Crawford, Dice K, Punto, Youkillis, and Ross, over 87 million in payroll and this is the best we can do.

[/QUOTE]

It really only takes a single IQ point to realize David Ross will not be THE major addition this offseason.  And with 2 IQ points, you might even see more implications just from this signing.   Do I need to explain even further?

But my other option is to simply sit back and wait and when there is one of those "minor league free agent signing" days, we could explain to you AGAIN that this is really not a major deal and not worth getting frustrated over.

But I suppose is explaining that not every deal will be a major one did not work in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011, I should have no reason to believe it will now...

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully not until December Winter Meetings. This team needs to be agressive and not see what falls to them or is leftover.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Terry Doyle too, looks like we are back baby. Young Ben is going to have to do a hell of a lot better than these guys if he wants to get the Red Sox back to contention. What are we paupers now, we just dumped AGon, Beckett, Crawford, Dice K, Punto, Youkillis, and Ross, over 87 million in payroll and this is the best we can do.

[/QUOTE]

It really only takes a single IQ point to realize David Ross will not be THE major addition this offseason.  And with 2 IQ points, you might even see more implications just from this signing.   Do I need to explain even further?

But my other option is to simply sit back and wait and when there is one of those "minor league free agent signing" days, we could explain to you AGAIN that this is really not a major deal and not worth getting frustrated over.

But I suppose is explaining that not every deal will be a major one did not work in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011, I should have no reason to believe it will now...

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully not until December Winter Meetings. This team needs to be agressive and not see what falls to them or is leftover.

[/QUOTE]

<sigh>

So you STILL don't get how thisworks?

They CANNOT make trade or sign free agents unless the other pary agrees.  None of them are gojng to agree until ALL offers are in on the table.

Is this so complicated? 

And is there some sort of reward for having a roster before December?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its pretty funny that some are blasting the GM for not signing everyone BEFORE the winter meetings. Is this the new fad this year? And when has this EVER happened before in the history of FA?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its pretty funny that some are blasting the GM for not signing everyone BEFORE the winter meetings. Is this the new fad this year? And when has this EVER happened before in the history of FA?

[/QUOTE]

No, it's the fad or SOP on this forum every year. When the forum gets slow, many come here to stir the pot. After all, the forum is for entertainment.

[/QUOTE]

I guess for some it is...If people dont mind looking completely stupid saying things like that, then who am I to stop them...Or even want to...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

My prediction is that they platoon Salty and Ross and send Lavarnway down to the Pawsox for the season. If Lav improves then Salty gets traded.

[/QUOTE]

Insida a bubble this plan looks good, but when you have a team like ours with so many high priority needs, a surplus of catchers, and a league with 10 teams in need of a catcher, a trade is most likely and seems like the right thing to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My prediction is that they platoon Salty and Ross and send Lavarnway down to the Pawsox for the season. If Lav improves then Salty gets traded.

[/QUOTE]

Insida a bubble this plan looks good, but when you have a team like ours with so many high priority needs, a surplus of catchers, and a league with 10 teams in need of a catcher, a trade is most likely and seems like the right thing to do.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Im coming around to reality Moon. But personally I dont see lav sticking at catcher. His offense is too valuable and it will suffer as long as hes behind the plate. He really doesnt look comfortable and he moves with such slow reaction time...Hes 25 and i realize hes only been catching a few years, but guys with less experience look more natural than he does back there. It almost looks forced. I think a move to 1b would serve everyone better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty 25 Hr Ross 15 Hr, Lava Back To AAA, Enough Said............

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty 25 Hr Ross 15 Hr, Lava Back To AAA, Enough Said............

[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't be so sure, he could have waited on Ross and signed him for less which leans towards one of our catchers is going to be traded soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2 years for Ross is evidence enough that someone is going to be traded. I suppose Lava could be moved to 1B, but I doubt it at his advanced age for a prospect. He may end up at DH/back-up catcher, but now Papi is here for 2 years. There's just nop room for Salty and Lava.

Yeah, Salty can walk after 2013 as Lava becomes ready for the bigs, but I just don't see us not using Salty or Lava's trade value this winter to fill an open high need slot. We have Swihart to take Ross' vacant slot in 2015.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

2 years for Ross is evidence enough that someone is going to be traded. I suppose Lava could be moved to 1B, but I doubt it at his advanced age for a prospect. He may end up at DH/back-up catcher, but now Papi is here for 2 years. There's just nop room for Salty and Lava.

Yeah, Salty can walk after 2013 as Lava becomes ready for the bigs, but I just don't see us not using Salty or Lava's trade value this winter to fill an open high need slot. We have Swihart to take Ross' vacant slot in 2015.

[/QUOTE]

You dont think Lav can make a quick transition to 1b. even at 25-26 hes still young and under control for 5 years. It would certainly help his offense and wouldnt be so demanding, a being a catcher, on defense. I think he would make a solid 1b.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) I'm not so sure he is going to be a great hitter in MLB.

2) I think his hitting suffered in 2012 as a result of working hard on his defense.

3) Switching to 1B now, would distract him even more than in 2012.

4) Lava's trade value as a catcher is worth way more than as a 1Bman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

2) I think his hitting suffered in 2012 as a result of working hard on his defense.

[/QUOTE]

His value is only better if hes seen as a good catcher. A number of scouts dont see him as that. There is a question if he can hit MLB pitching. I think he can, but being a catcher is greatly taking away his best asset. Hitting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His value is only better if hes seen as a good catcher. A number of scouts dont see him as that. There is a question if he can hit MLB pitching. I think he can, but being a catcher is greatly taking away his best asset. Hitting.

[/QUOTE]

I look at it this way, if Lava has an .850 OPS as a 1Bman, he's about average. If he ends up having an .800 OPS as a catcher, he'll be top 5. 

Some GM will look beyong his defensive shortcomings ands will overpay for the chance to make huge gains at their catching position. We need to act on the situation at hand: GMs are desperate for a catcher, and we have 3 plus Swihart in the wings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I look at it this way, if Lava has an .850 OPS as a 1Bman, he's about average. If he ends up having an .800 OPS as a catcher, he'll be top 5. 

Some GM will look beyong his defensive shortcomings ands will overpay for the chance to make huge gains at their catching position. We need to act on the situation at hand: GMs are desperate for a catcher, and we have 3 plus Swihart in the wings.

[/QUOTE]

If Swihart stick there. Thats another question the scouts have. Vasquez is another one, but they are both young and at least 2-3 years away.

Listen, if they keep Lav at C Im just hoping that paying so much attention to his defense doesnt take away from his potentially potent bat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i'm not sure where he would be better suited. short term i would say hes more valuable trading him as a Catcher. if we don't want to trade him i would say send him to AAA as a first baseman. (unless we trade or sign a 1st baseman who is under control for multiple years)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i'm not sure where he would be better suited. short term i would say hes more valuable trading him as a Catcher. if we don't want to trade him i would say send him to AAA as a first baseman. (unless we trade or sign a 1st baseman who is under control for multiple years)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Looking at Ross's stats, I'm perplexed!!!  I don't get it???  This guy has never even played near half a season.  12 million a year for 2 years???  What the hell am I missing???  For the life of me, I can't understand this move!  Now we're giving away money to guys with absolutely no chance of earning the paycheck?  Now we're giving BIG money to guys who have NEVER proven anything, except that they CAN'T perform???

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looking at Ross's stats, I'm perplexed!!!  I don't get it???  This guy has never even played near half a season.  12 million a year for 2 years???  What the hell am I missing???  For the life of me, I can't understand this move!  Now we're giving away money to guys with absolutely no chance of earning the paycheck?  Now we're giving BIG money to guys who have NEVER proven anything, except that they CAN'T perform???

[/QUOTE]

ben probably has a deal in the works involving one of our catchers.. Obviously your not going to trade away one of your catchers leaving your team just 1 ML ready catcher for 156 games.. So BC gave Ross what he wanted to get him to sign TODAY and not 3-5 weeks from now once he shopped around and got offers from 15 other teams..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The contract is for 2 years and about $3 million per year, not 12.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The contract is for 2 years and about $3 million per year, not 12.

[/QUOTE]

ha, didn't even notice that part.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$3.1M a year x 2 seems like overpay, but that's what free agency brings. It also shows the high value on catchers in MLB today- one reason why Salty or Lava will have nice trade value this winter.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts