Red Sox Sign Francisco Cordero to Minor League Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Red Sox Sign Francisco Cordero to Minor League Deal

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Isn't Koji same age?

Yes 38 years old, and Bruce Hurst is 55.   38 year olds can still pitch in the big leagues, I can't remember the last time a 55 year old pitched. 

How many 38 year olds are in the majors this year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Isn't Koji same age?

Yes 38 years old, and Bruce Hurst is 55.   38 year olds can still pitch in the big leagues, I can't remember the last time a 55 year old pitched. 

NOT many, but then again...it's a MINOR league deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:

Good freaking grief! Can a Bruce Hurst try out be far behind?

seriously?

you're going to grief about a minor league depth signing????

Simply pointing out the obvious fellas. It's a move the Kansas City Royals or other small market club should make-not the defending champion Boston Red Sox. And Will's not even a southpaw like Bruce is! No risk/ no reward waste of time and effort. Bleh!

NO it's not.  Big market teams make moves like this all the time, they do afterall have triple A teams as well.

What do you expect? 15/million a year superstars signing milb contracts.

so let me point out the not so obvious but truth, that teams have minor league rosters to fill out as well. 

It's a garbage move. No different than Jose Contreras last year. He might take innings away from someone a lot younger with more promise. 

A bullpen has to be managed at every level, you can't pitch a prospect every day out of the bullpen as well. a guy with a LOT of promise will be starting down there anyways.  

The kids who have "promise" will get there innings.  The Sox are much better than you or me at developing there talent.  Actually they have a VERY good reputation around the league of doing so.....I think they know what they are doing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

OH no maybe Cordero is going to take precius innings away from Jose Valdez or Chris Resop...or the all mighty promising Tommy Layne...and of course let's not forget about Shunsuke Watanbe.

If there is a prospect in Pawtucket who the Sox think has serious late inning reliever potential like RDLR or Britton. They are going to get their work in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

I guess we know who on this board would not have signed Koji Ueuhara before last season. Who would want a 38 year old dude on their team, after all...LOL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Isn't Koji same age?

Yanks just signed a guy who never Pitched in the Major Leagues.

Burnett just signed 16MM he's 37. Give it a rest. Sqauwking about a Minor League deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Next thing we know it they will be complaining about who they bring in to fill out the dominican summer league rosters. 

Some people just love to complain, fine by me...but they should really find better and more valid reasons. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

It couldn't possibly be a less important decision to me that the Sox are giving Cordero a try out. It's almost laughable that so many words have been posted about it here. But regardless, I consider it a rediculous waste of time and energy. It's classic "trolling for trash" in the hopes of being declared to be a genius for finding a diamond everyone missed. Lil' baby small town markets play this game because they have to. We should be looking for a marquee player to pay Dempsters money to. My previous posts described Cordero as a no risk/no reward move. What we want is to try out players with an actual shot at making the team...a low risk/ high possible reward guy. Rostor spots matter! If he were a lefty I could see taking a chance on him, but he's not and his value is just not there. Cut him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

seriously?

Simply pointing out the obvious fellas. It's a move the Kansas City Royals or other small market club should make-not the defending champion Boston Red Sox. And Will's not even a southpaw like Bruce is! No risk/ no reward waste of time and effort. Bleh!

NO it's not.  Big market teams make moves like this all the time, they do afterall have triple A teams as well.

so let me point out the not so obvious but truth, that teams have minor league rosters to fill out as well. 

It's a garbage move. No different than Jose Contreras last year. He might take innings away from someone a lot younger with more promise. 

Yeah, because every pitcher on the Triple-A roster is a pitcher with promise. Ever look at Triple-A rosters? There's always a few players on every team who are probably never going to sniff the big leagues. The only player he'll take innings from is some scrub. Who are you trying to kid?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It couldn't possibly be a less important decision to me that the Sox are giving Cordero a try out. It's almost laughable that so many words have been posted about it here. But regardless, I consider it a rediculous waste of time and energy. It's classic "trolling for trash" in the hopes of being declared to be a genius for finding a diamond everyone missed. Lil' baby small town markets play this game because they have to. We should be looking for a marquee player to pay Dempsters money to. My previous posts described Cordero as a no risk/no reward move. What we want is to try out players with an actual shot at making the team...a low risk/ high possible reward guy. Rostor spots matter! If he were a lefty I could see taking a chance on him, but he's not and his value is just not there. Cut him.

The idea that only small market teams make these moves is a complete fallacy.  And I don't want to spend Dempsters money for the sake of spending the money.  If anything we would be better served to make a few extenstions and leave room for a july 31 trade.

Cordero is a few years removed from being one of the better closers in the game and is coming off of surgery and reportedly healthy, so how is there ZERO upside there?  Do you have a better option for late inning reliever potential that would cost this team effectively nothing. 

why cut him? there is no 40 man roster crunch and he's not taking up a spot on the big league team...your rational really make zero sense.

I'm glad Ben C. is running this team and not you guys!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If only "small market" teams make these kind of moves.  Then how come big market teams make these kind of moves all the time?

How come the 3 time in the last 10 years world series champion Red Sox make these kind of moves?

how come they JUST made this move?

RIDDLE ME THAT?!?!??

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

Isn't Koji same age?

jeter will be 40.is he washed up too?uehara?ortiz is getting closer to 40.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I was going to say the same thing. Everytime someone gets signed to a minor league deal there is always one total doofus on here that complains about it.

other than teakus

U all seem to say the same thing whenever it happens

shouldn't there be a limit on these guys

it's more about his salary mr brown

isn't there a point where these long shots

have a negative effect on the development opportunities of the kids

Ever hear the term low risk high reward?

ever hear of John Smoltz his low risk was

a very ugly (not 4 me) 2- 5 with era over 8

while I understand the advantages of such moves

I don't automatically  C it as 100% positive like so many here make it sound

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

seriously?

There's always someone who does. Every single time. It never fails.

This is very true.   It's like people forget that there is a whole list of minor league teams rosters to be filled.  

CT I can assure you that nobody wants to add a 37 yr old washed up right handed reliever to anyones minor league rostor. The tryout is for the big club , with the minor league system utilized merely for logistics, and I say it's a silly waste of time.

You obviously don't understand how teams work and operate, but it's ok....just be prepared to be annoyed by these types of moves every year because they happen EVERY YEAR, and by BIG MARKET teams as well.

They do it because their G.M.'s are smart and know what they are doing.  Who would you rather have in AAA to fill out a roster spot, a journey man who has ZERO chance of ever contributing???? or a guy who has a big time resume as a closer in the bigs.

If he regains what he once had and a few guys go down, it's a brilliant move.  If not....it cost the Sox effectively nothing.

These are the exact kind of moves that very smart intelligent G.M's make.

We also lost Stephen Wright until maybe June and Dempster "retired" . There was a couple spots open and this guy has the abitlity to close on the big stage. No harm done by giving him a look.

To actually believe that because the Sox are a big budget team, they should not have to be bothered with deals like this shows a lack of basebal knowlwdge. Depth was a very big contributer to winning the WS title last year. Most people know and understand this. Its all about throwing a bunch of pitchers against a wall and see what sticks. It happens EVERY year, with EVERY team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Morning, Zac:

Not sure what you mean here. Of course there is a limit, but it makes sense to stock up on as many of these types as possible. Most, of course, will not amount to anything. Some will get released or be gone in March or April due to an opt-out in their deals. (Don't know if Cordero has such an arrangement or not.) Ultimately you're throwing a lot against the wall and seeing what sticks.

I seriously doubt Cordero gets in the way of any of our prospects getting the opportunities they need and deserve. And if for some reason he did, that would mean he's working out far better than anyone expects.

Wasn't Smoltz guaranteed $5 million or so for 1 year? Many people characterized that as "low risk," which I guess depends on your perspective, but that's a big difference from a minor league deal for $750,000 or whatever it is.

It is not an automatic positive in the sense that it will pay off big for the team, but it is a positive in the sense that the potential rewards are there and the risk is little to none. As I mentioned, the major league pen is already stacked and we have plenty of kids who will be given every consideration to be called up when a spot opens, so it's not like we're counting on this guy for anything at this point. It's just rolling the dice and seeing what might happen.

It's one thing to predict he is washed up and won't amount to anything in 2014 (which may well be true)...it's another to say it's a dumb signing and why even bother. I don't understand the latter viewpoint.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

seriously?

dont worry ADG. IM pretty sure Ben has a good grasp on what he has in the minors. Im sure every young pitcher that has proved himself will get his chance. Having a good vet that can get things done is always valuable. This move blocks no prospect whatsoever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Why do you think because they signed Cordero to a minor league deal they aren't looking for a marquee player?

This is why so manyy words have been written on this thread.  People get bored when posters cry so much about things that don't matter. They signed Cordero for chump change. To a minor league deal. And guys like you get mad about it. So guys like me make fun of you for being mad.

Your turn now. Get mad again. Grr.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

I was going to say the same thing. Everytime someone gets signed to a minor league deal there is always one total doofus on here that complains about it.

other than teakus

Well I guess Teakus was the "one total doofus" that I was talking about.

Also Smoltz made over 5 million as I recall. Do you think if the headline read "Cordero signed for 5 million" I would be saying the same thing?

Great comparison.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Why do you think because they signed Cordero to a minor league deal they aren't looking for a marquee player?

Clearly Ben signed Cordero to a minor league deal in lieu of adding an impact player for the bullpen. You know, like maybe someone who saved 37 games and made the All-Star team last year. It's too bad the Red Sox are too cheap to get those types of players and prefer to scrimp on minor league deals.

Oh wait, we did sign that guy this winter. Nevermind.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

other than teakus

zac,

Minor league moves do not block any prospects from getting their innings and do not cost big $$ like smoltz.

Tell me what the negatives are you see?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

other than teakus

zac,

Minor league moves do not block any prospects from getting their innings and do not cost big $$ like smoltz.

Tell me what the negatives are you see?

To compare the signing of Cordero to Smoltz is kind of bizarre.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

greetings  Flapjack07

good stuff I don't dissagree much

good call on Smoltz getting 5 mill + incentives

obviously not a good comparison to Cordero

but people actually still sang the 'low risk high reward ' song

and while I can't argue if these guys take up innings a kid could grow from

my point was there is a risk in these long shot deals

other than just the size of the contract

According to Red Sox manager Terry Francona, right-handed
    pitcher John Smoltz has been designated for assignment.

Smoltz lasted just 3 1/3 innings Thursday night en route to New
    York’s 13-6 win
    . Smoltz is now 2-5 with a 8.33 ERA in eight starts this
    season. In his last four starts, the 21-year vet has allowed eight homers and 25
    earned runs. He has allowed at least five earned runs in all but two starts this
    season for Boston.

sometimes a couple of W's matter

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

greetings  Flapjack07

good stuff I don't dissagree much

good call on Smoltz getting 5 mill + incentives

obviously not a good comparison to Cordero

but people actually still sang the 'low risk high reward ' song

and while I can't argue if these guys take up innings a kid could grow from

my point was there is a risk in these long shot deals

other than just the size of the contract

According to Red Sox manager Terry Francona, right-handed
    pitcher John Smoltz has been designated for assignment.

Smoltz lasted just 3 1/3 innings Thursday night en route to New
    York’s 13-6 win
    . Smoltz is now 2-5 with a 8.33 ERA in eight starts this
    season. In his last four starts, the 21-year vet has allowed eight homers and 25
    earned runs. He has allowed at least five earned runs in all but two starts this
    season for Boston.

sometimes a couple of W's matter

No argument there. But that is a risk you take with any player, not just the old guys who are trying to prove they have something left. Last season we called up Allen Webster, a kid just about everyone was salivating over, and he had an ERA over 8 and blew a couple of games for us. You never know.

Cordero is a very different situation than Smoltz, in multiple ways. IMO, for us to even see him in the majors getting those types of opportunities, either:

1) He has been lighting it up in the minor leagues to the point where we could not keep him down, or

2) For some reason, we have run out of better options.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Well I guess Teakus was the "one total doofus" that I was talking about.

Also Smoltz made over 5 million as I recall. Do you think if the headline read "Cordero signed for 5 million" I would be saying the same thing?

Great comparison.

can't U guys ever get past the money

U sang '' the low risk high reward'' song

others sang the same song when smoltz was signed

that's where the comparison comes from

Sections
Shortcuts