Red Sox Sign Francisco Cordero to Minor League Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Red Sox Sign Francisco Cordero to Minor League Deal

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:

Well I guess Teakus was the "one total doofus" that I was talking about.

Also Smoltz made over 5 million as I recall. Do you think if the headline read "Cordero signed for 5 million" I would be saying the same thing?

Great comparison.

can't U guys ever get past the money

U sang '' the low risk high reward'' song

others sang the same song when smoltz was signed

that's where the comparison comes from

[/QUOTE]

No I didn't actually.

Smoltz was getting paid 5.5 million.  Cordero is on a minor league deal.

I am going to slow it down now. Smoltz was not low risk because he was paid over 5 million. Cordero is low risk because he was signed to a minor league deal.

The two signings are not comparable in any way.

Nice cartoon though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

zac,

Minor league moves do not block any prospects from getting their innings and do not cost big $$ like smoltz.

Tell me what the negatives are you see?

good 2 C U 777

good times ahead

I'll take your word 4 it that these longs shots

don't get closer innings that a kid can grow from

flapjack is right

a kid could be brought up and fail just like one of these longs shots can

I guess all the badgering nyy fans have taken from RSN over the years

about how youth rules got the best of me ;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[/QUOTE]

No I didn't actually.

I am going to slow it down now. Smoltz was not low risk because he was paid over 5 million. Cordero is low risk because he was signed to a minor league deal.

Nice cartoon though.

[/QUOTE]

now I am going to slow it down 4 U

I didn't say U did

I said others did

and that's what makes them comparable

do we need larger fonts and brighter colors ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

No I didn't actually.

Nice cartoon though.

[/QUOTE]

now I am going to slow it down 4 U

I didn't say U did

I said others did

and that's what makes them comparable

do we need larger fonts and brighter colors ;-)

[/QUOTE]

No you replied to me and you said "u did". then compared it to what others said when the two ideas of 5 million and a minor league deal are not even close to the same thing.

I say low risk around a minor league deal. What does that have to do with someone else saying low risk around a 5 million dollar deal?

Nothing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

No you replied to me and you said "u did". Read your own post. Slowly.

If you repy to someone and say "you" that person is going to think you are talking to them.

Ok my bad

I could see Y U would think that (I went 2 fast)

in my 1st post 2 U I did say U

but U left out the all part where I actually said ''U all''

as in RSN I know there R always exceptions

and I'm good with  U saying U never said that about smoltz

but others did so the comparison has merit IMO

Tough stuff but I think if you get that down it might help you communicate your ideas better.

thanks 4 the encouragement

but I think I'm hopeless

that's Y I us photos so often ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

No you replied to me and you said "u did". Read your own post. Slowly.

If you repy to someone and say "you" that person is going to think you are talking to them.

Ok my bad

I could see Y U would think that (I went 2 fast)

in my 1st post 2 U I did say U

but U left out the all part where I actually said ''U all''

as in RSN I know there R always exceptions

and I'm good with  U saying U never said that about smoltz

but others did so the comparison has merit IMO

Tough stuff but I think if you get that down it might help you communicate your ideas better.

thanks 4 the encouragement

but I think I'm hopeless

that's Y I us photos so often ;-)

Ha.  We all have to do what we have to do to get by. You wouldn't even want to know what some of the things are that I resort to.

As you can see I edited my post as I saw that my response was a bit numb.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For Sox fans this off season has been about getting more relief! Here's the list of Relievers/pitchers they have signed or acquired since winning it all last year: Mujica,Badenhop,Layne,Ely,Hinojosa,Watanabe,Perez, Mijares,Dayan Diaz,Celestino,Valdez ,Resop,Hill and Cordero. Of these pitchers only Ely and Hinojosa would be considered as possible starters. That leaves 12 relievers added this off season, nothing like covering the one area every team should make sure they have enough of... These signings are mostly minor league deals and cost very little, but if any of these guys come through the Sox benefit. It's like when they signed Sizemore, Cousins, and Corey Brown they were just making sure they had more options should Bradley not be ready to take over in CF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Teakus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good freaking grief! Can a Bruce Hurst try out be far behind?

[/QUOTE]

seriously?

you're going to grief about a minor league depth signing????

[/QUOTE]

There's always someone who does. Every single time. It never fails.

[/QUOTE]

This is very true.   It's like people forget that there is a whole list of minor league teams rosters to be filled.  

[/QUOTE]

CT I can assure you that nobody wants to add a 37 yr old washed up right handed reliever to anyones minor league rostor. The tryout is for the big club , with the minor league system utilized merely for logistics, and I say it's a silly waste of time.

[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't understand how teams work and operate, but it's ok....just be prepared to be annoyed by these types of moves every year because they happen EVERY YEAR, and by BIG MARKET teams as well.

They do it because their G.M.'s are smart and know what they are doing.  Who would you rather have in AAA to fill out a roster spot, a journey man who has ZERO chance of ever contributing???? or a guy who has a big time resume as a closer in the bigs.

If he regains what he once had and a few guys go down, it's a brilliant move.  If not....it cost the Sox effectively nothing.

These are the exact kind of moves that very smart intelligent G.M's make.

[/QUOTE]

We also lost Stephen Wright until maybe June and Dempster "retired" . There was a couple spots open and this guy has the abitlity to close on the big stage. No harm done by giving him a look.

To actually believe that because the Sox are a big budget team, they should not have to be bothered with deals like this shows a lack of basebal knowlwdge. Depth was a very big contributer to winning the WS title last year. Most people know and understand this. Its all about throwing a bunch of pitchers against a wall and see what sticks. It happens EVERY year, with EVERY team.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Pete AbrahamVerified account@PeteAbe

Francisco Cordero has no opt-out with the #RedSox Straight minor league deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Thats intresting, somebody thinks he has something left in the tank.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The no opt out means we can stash him in the minor leagues all year...I think that means LESS people think he has something left in the tank. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's still amazing to see the handwringing by some posters on this thread about the signing.

It doesn't mean the Sox can't sign a bigger name if they see a need. 

It doesn't mean that he'll take innings away from the bigger prospects. Especially in this day and age, the Sox, like all teams, have it all planned out for how many pitches/innings or at-bats their minor league players get.

It wasn't like the choice came down to Cordero or some hot prospects. The only players out there are career minor leaguers, players on the downside of their career or players trying to come back from an injury. The Sox aren't going to move a player up from Double-A just to fill a roster spot on Triple-A if they feel no one is ready. Teams have four minor league teams, not including rookie, for which they need to fill roster spots. So once they place all their prospects where they need to be, they fill out rosters with the career minor leaguers or take a flier on a former star coming back from injury. This isn't new. Teams do this all the time, both big market and small market.

Sometimes signing former stars coming back from an injury or trying to milk one more year out of an aging player works out, sometimes it doesn't. Some example:

Brett Saberhagen: Sort of worked. Sox signed him after he missed 1996. Spent most of 1997 rehabbing, pitched in six games, then went 25-14 over the next two seasons in 53 starts with an ERA around 3.50, including 15-8 with a 3.96 ERA in 31 starts in 1998. 

David Cone: Yankees let him go after 2000 when he made $12M. Sox signed him for $1M. He went 9-7, 4.31 ERA on 25 starts, 135.2 IP. For the money, it was a fine signing. He basically was the team's No. 2 pitcher an had the second-lowest ERA on the Sox for anyone with at least 25 starts. (Pedro made just 18 that year, and Wake made just 17 -- both had lower ERAs).

John Smoltz: No doubt, it didn't work out.

I'm sure, if I researched it, I could find more players (pitchers and position players) on both sides of the equation. It's called baseball. There are not guarantees with any player so you grab them from anywhere you can.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Good freaking grief! Can a Bruce Hurst try out be far behind?

No, Oil Can Boyd next, and Cy Young will win his own award next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i wonder if this means we are not going to sign ryan madson? i think he would be worth taking a chance on. Same goes for hanrahan. also a minor league deal for andrew bailey would be good if he would take one. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i wonder if this means we are not going to sign ryan madson? i think he would be worth taking a chance on. Same goes for hanrahan. also a minor league deal for andrew bailey would be good if he would take one. 

[/QUOTE]

Hanrahan supposedly is going to have an audition for teams sometime in March. If I'm the Sox, I'm looking. You can never have enough relief pitchers as the Sox found out last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Madson signed with the Reds in 2012 for 6 million, didn't throw a pitch. 2011 Cordero had 37 saves and a 2.45 era with the Reds. They let him walk, for Madson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[QUOTE]

Why do you think because they signed Cordero to a minor league deal they aren't looking for a marquee player?

Clearly Ben signed Cordero to a minor league deal in lieu of adding an impact player for the bullpen. You know, like maybe someone who saved 37 games and made the All-Star team last year. It's too bad the Red Sox are too cheap to get those types of players and prefer to scrimp on minor league deals.

Oh wait, we did sign that guy this winter. Nevermind.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Flapster, I gotta call you for flagrant misuse of sarcasm and a misrepresentation of facts. "You know, like maybe someone who saved 37 games and made the All-Star team last year." In fact, Cordero didn't play at all in 2013. His last year on the field was 2012, and he was horrific with 2 saves and a 7.55 ERA in 39.1 innings. Just sayin' . As for the bellicose 37stories, I must marvel at your apparant hypocrisy. On the one hand you pooh pooh the significance of the Cordero transaction, yet you resort to name calling and rudeness in an effort to defend it. You, apparantly choosing to speak for Red Sox Nation in it's entirety by saying  "People get bored when posters cry so much about things that don't matter. " and display your rudeness by saying " Well I guess Teakus was the "one total doofus" that I was talking about." .  

Clearly this topic means alot to you, your hollow protestations notwithstanding. While I'd love to ask you how you became the arbiter of what matters and doesn't matter on this board, we all already know the answer: you are not. You are just another voice in the wind sharing opinions. Hopefully you will be open to the possibility that others, such as the learned pinstripezac for instance, just may know a thing or two about this game we all love. Of course Cordero will take a roster spot from another player! Whether AAA,AA or MLB he will occupy a spot not able to be occupied by another guy. Quantum physics hasn't found a way around this....yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why do you think because they signed Cordero to a minor league deal they aren't looking for a marquee player?

Clearly Ben signed Cordero to a minor league deal in lieu of adding an impact player for the bullpen. You know, like maybe someone who saved 37 games and made the All-Star team last year. It's too bad the Red Sox are too cheap to get those types of players and prefer to scrimp on minor league deals.

Oh wait, we did sign that guy this winter. Nevermind.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Flapster, I gotta call you for flagrant misuse of sarcasm and a misrepresentation of facts. "You know, like maybe someone who saved 37 games and made the All-Star team last year." In fact, Cordero didn't play at all in 2013. His last year on the field was 2012, and he was horrific with 2 saves and a 7.55 ERA in 39.1 innings. Just sayin' . As for the bellicose 37stories, I must marvel at your apparant hypocrisy. On the one hand you pooh pooh the significance of the Cordero transaction, yet you resort to name calling and rudeness in an effort to defend it. You, apparantly choosing to speak for Red Sox Nation in it's entirety by saying  "People get bored when posters cry so much about things that don't matter. " and display your rudeness by saying " Well I guess Teakus was the "one total doofus" that I was talking about." .  

Clearly this topic means alot to you, your hollow protestations notwithstanding. While I'd love to ask you how you became the arbiter of what matters and doesn't matter on this board, we all already know the answer: you are not. You are just another voice in the wind sharing opinions. Hopefully you will be open to the possibility that others, such as the learned pinstripezac for instance, just may know a thing or two about this game we all love. Of course Cordero will take a roster spot from another player! Whether AAA,AA or MLB he will occupy a spot not able to be occupied by another guy. Quantum physics hasn't found a way around this....yet.

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah god forbid we have to cut Jose Valdez to make room for Cordero.  I really had high hopes for him.  This Cordero signing is just going to ruin the organization...IT'S ALL DOWNHILL from here! say good bye to winning seasons and world series.  Will Cordero is not going weaken the system in any way, there are roster spots available.

He is a depth move....every team EVERY team makes th........I just realized I'm talking to a wall here.  Have a good night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Simply keeping things factual CT. As I've previously mentioned, it's a small deal for sure and one that I'm surprised has brought out so much passion. Why are you suggesting that anyone here has predicted the end of of the Red Sox, and ultimately Western civilization, as a result of this one move? I don't like the move...think Cordero is done and it's a silly move. So?? Ahhhh! You have a different opinion. Excellent! It's why God invented message boards. Express away!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Haha...the player I was actually alluding to is Edward Mujica (perhaps my flagrant sarcasm could use some work?)...the point being that Ben has already done his legwork this offseason in regards to bolstering the bullpen. Our fortunes in 2014 don't stand on whether a guy like Cordero makes it back; he is a lottery ticket, a roll of the dice, and not much more.

A lot of words end up being said on the subject not because it's a major or important signing, but because I think some of us are legitimately baffled that some posters always show up to mock and bash signings like this. Most people here, I think, see it as worthwhile to make a few low-risk moves like that per year. If you don't, I don't think anything anyone can say will convince you at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts