Red Sox signed Carlos Silva

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva

In Response to Red Sox signed Carlos Silva:
    [QUOTE]I do not know about the complete contract.  Report from mlbtraderumors.com and it seems done deal.  Will he have impact? Will he even reach majors in 2012? Your thoughts? He didn't see time in majors in 2011 season.  I think he spent times in Yankees' minors somewhere but Im' not 100% sure.  Silva has 9 yrs of professional experience on his resume, 2 with Phillies, 4 with Twins, 2 with Mariners, and 1 with Cubs.  70 wins and losses, career ERA of 4.68, his best yr in his career is 2005 with Twins, started all of his 27 games and threw 188 innings winning 9 and losing 8 games.  His ERA was 3.44
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    WHO ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I was surprised that Hill didn't chime in with the fact that his Mariners signed Silva for 4 yrs - $48 mil.. Should we all migrate to a Mariners forum and present this question to their fans? After all Hill lives in this forum to question every Sox GM move and to stifle fan optimism.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball2006. Show baseball2006's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva:
    [QUOTE]Minor league contract to compete for a major league roster spot. Cost will be bottom tier. 1. This is the best value signing of the year, so far. Silva is up and down but had 2. a decent WHIP and ERA in 2011. It was in the NL, but at 32, Silva has had decent AL years in the past. 3. This is the antithesis of Tim Wastefield. The potential for a marginal bottom tier starter is there, but with no requirement to provide a lazy boy 24 man roster by gifting a spot to 45 year old Wastefield.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

1. Whether the signing has any value whatsoever is yet to be determined. Shouldn't we wait to see the pitcher's performance in spring training, and potentially beyond, before making such a determination?

2. The pitcher had no WHIP and ERA in 2011. The Yankees acquired the player on the cheap in April and he never left the closet (AAA) to face a MLB hitter in 2011! By the way, he was dumped in early July.

3. Antithesis of Tim Wakefield? If the comment had any merit at all then Silva wouldn't have been available via the scrap heap at such a low cost. There is clearly a value parallel between Silva and Wakefield (at this point in Wakefield's career) although I would personally place more value on Wakefield due to the mere fact that Wakefield can be utilized as both a spot starter and reliever. Silva has yet to prove any value in any category beyond Triple A pitching depth.

To use the minor league signing of Silva as means to take another negative shot at Wakefield is not only absurd but quite immature.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

n Response to Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva:
    Minor league contract to compete for a major league roster spot. Cost will be bottom tier. 1. This is the best value signing of the year, so far. Silva is up and down but had 2. a decent WHIP and ERA in 2011. It was in the NL, but at 32, Silva has had decent AL years in the past. 3. This is the antithesis of Tim Wastefield. The potential for a marginal bottom tier starter is there, but with no requirement to provide a lazy boy 24 man roster by gifting a spot to 45 year old Wastefield.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

1. Whether the signing has any value whatsoever is yet to be determined. Shouldn't we wait to see the pitcher's performance in spring training, and potentially beyond, before making such a determination?

It's great value to Mr. hanky because no "union slug" got big money.

2. The pitcher had no WHIP and ERA in 2011. The Yankees acquired the player on the cheap and he never faced a MLB hitter in 2011!

Mr. hanky doesn't let facts stand in his way. he'll just invent some to make his point (see Ellsbury seeing 40% more fastballs in 2011).

3. Antithesis of Tim Wakefield? If the comment had any merit at all then Silva wouldn't have been available via the scrap heap at such a low cost. There is clearly a value parallel between Silva and Wakefield (at this point in Wakefield's career) although I would personally place more value on Wakefield due to the mere fact that Wakefield can be utilized as both a spot starter and reliever. Silva has yet to prove any value in any category beyond Triple A pitching depth.

Cue, Mr. hanky's repeating Wakebashfest.

To use the minor league signing of Silva as means to take another negative shot at Wakefield is not only absurd but quite immature.

It's Mr. hanky just being Mr. hanky.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I can already read the headlines: The Red Sox win be hind Hi OH Silva kimosabe! Or another Sox win by Carlos who proves that there is a Silva lining in a cloud....Or if he makes the team the caption will read One more Sliva Dolla!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

This batch of minor league deals (12 of 'em) has potential.  Very good chance at least one of these guys provides a boost to BoSox (Silva, Carlson, Hill, Pena come to mind).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

although I would personally place more value on Wakefield due to the mere fact that Wakefield can be utilized as both a spot starter and reliever. Silva has yet to prove any value in any category beyond Triple A pitching depth.

Silva had a decent 2010, which was my obvious reference to his last season in NL. He has also had some good years in AL. He is age 32.

What is absurd and immature is to claim that is a fact that Wastefield can be utilized as a reliever or a starter. Wastefield has proven in 2010 and 2011 that he isn't evern worthy of value in AAA, much less MLB. The man has a giant beer gut and is 45 years old.

To even suggest "utilizing" with Wastefield is childish and absurd!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I can already read the headlines: The Red Sox win be hind Hi OH Silva kimosabe! Or another Sox win by Carlos who proves that there is a Silva lining in a cloud....Or if he makes the team the caption will read One more Sliva Dolla!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Yankee fair weather whiner fans were probable in full bash Cashman mode when the Yanks dumpster-dived to sign both Colon and Garcia last winter. They probably questioned Cashman's IQ and called Steinbrenner a cheapskate. The same thing happened here when we gambled on Penny and Smoltz. The armchair owners and GMs can always wait it out and use their 20-20 hindsight to prove how brilliant that they are. Even a caveman can play that game. Trolls play it very well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva : Yankee fair weather whiner fans were probable in full bash Cashman mode when the Yanks dumpster-dived to sign both Colon and Garcia last winter. They probably questioned Cashman's IQ and called Steinbrenner a cheapskate. The same thing happened here when we gambled on Penny and Smoltz. The armchair owners and GMs can always wait it out and use their 20-20 hindsight to prove how brilliant that they are. Even a caveman can play that game. Trolls play it very well.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]First of all I was rooting for the Sox in 1955 where were you? Secondly if you don't like what I write noone is forcing you to read it,thirdly I know enough people in the baseball world to author opinions. Do I know talent yes. How about you,do you know how to do anything besides lob insults from afar?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva : First of all I was rooting for the Sox in 1955 where were you? Secondly if you don't like what I write noone is forcing you to read it,thirdly I know enough people in the baseball world to author opinions. Do I know talent yes. How about you,do you know how to do anything besides lob insults from afar?
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

My first trip to Fenway was in 1957. I was just equating your disdain with the signing of Silva to Yankee fans who made little of Cashman signing Colon and Garcia last year. The fact is that we will have to wait to see what becomes of it before tossing a wet blanket over it. Be optimistic and hopeful instead of being pessimistic and cynical. Give it a try sometime, you might like it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not enthusiatic about our starter depth either. It's nt being a troll to be realistic or even to be pessimistic about some things either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not enthusiatic about our starter depth either. It's nt being a troll to be realistic or even to be pessimistic about some things either.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

It's certainly far from perfect, but I'm ok with the depth after the #6 spot.

1) Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) Buch
    4) Bard
    5) Dice (after July)
    6) A. Miller
    7) Silva
    8) Alex Wilson
    9) Tazawa
    10) Duckworth
    11) Pena

Duckworth and Pena are both coming off of good AAA seasons, Wilson is knocking on the door for a chance to spot start this year, as he continues to warrant a rotation spot despite the assumption that he would end up in the pen.  Tazawa is further removed from TJ surgery.  

Again, it's far from perfect, but I don't think it would be the end of the world to see significant innings from this 6-11 group assuming Miller makes some progress over last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's certainly far from perfect, but I'm ok with the depth after the #6 spot.

1) Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) Buch
    4) Bard
    5) Dice (after July)
    6) A. Miller
    7) Silva
    8) Alex Wilson
    9) Tazawa
    10) Duckworth
    11) Pena

I'd rather have ...
    6) Wake
    7) Bedard
    8) Miller
    9) Doubront
    10) Aceves/Weiland/Tazawa/Duckworth/Wilson

... and look where that got us!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva : My first trip to Fenway was in 1957. I was just equating your disdain with the signing of Silva to Yankee fans who made little of Cashman signing Colon and Garcia last year. The fact is that we will have to wait to see what becomes of it before tossing a wet blanket over it. Be optimistic and hopeful instead of being pessimistic and cynical. Give it a try sometime, you might like it.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]
     I have been optimistic about every player who ever wore a Sox uni as to my statements about Carlos Silva I did not imply either negativity or a proclivity for liking or disliking the move,I simply said those would be the headlines in the morning scribes should he actually pitch and win...Not every person who posts on this blog site is a closet Yankee fan and I don't give a rats patoot what Cashman does,present future or past.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather have ... 6) Wake 7) Bedard 8) Miller 9) Doubront 10) Aceves/Weiland/Tazawa/Duckworth/Wilson ... and look where that got us!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is that compared to this time last year, the list is about the same aside from Weiland.

The Sox can make a deal at the deadline for a #5 type SP should they still need one.  The cost of players in July should fall from previous seasons as there is no longer FA comp tied to players traded mid season in a contract year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I'd rather have ...
    6) Wake

You are the only person who would rather have "wake"..........................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva : There is no reason not to sign Brandon Webb, he unfortuneately got hurt 2 years in a row. IMO give him a Minor League deal and if he's healthy, there's no way he wouldn't be able to help.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the Sox and everyteam has given thought to Webb, and probably even seen him throw.  If he is getting this little attention, its probably because he is done.

And I'm in favor of giving minor league deals to ANYONE.

As long as they can throw...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The funny thing is that compared to this time last year, the list is about the same aside from Weiland.

Not really. It is very different and a little worse...

1) Beckett            Beck   same
    2) Lester              Lest     same
    3) Buch                Buch   same (hopefull better if gives us 28+ starts)
    4) Bard                 Lack   we are better than 2011 (hopefully)
    5) Dice (after July) Dice   same (expect about the same amount of starts)
    6) A. Miller           Wake  we are worse than 2011
    7) Silva                Bedard we are worse than 2011
    8) Alex Wilson     Miller    we are wrose than 2011 
    9) Tazawa/Duck   Aceves/Weiland/Doub/Taz  we are worse than 2011

6-10 we are worse now than 2011. And, we made our pen worse by moving Bard to the 4 slot.

I know many of you think Wake was bad, but we did go 12-11 in his starts and would have done even better had be only been given 15-18 starts as he should have. I'd lay 3:1 odds that the combined stats (team record, ERA, and WHIP) of ...
    Miller, Silva, Wilson and whoever else from your list that starts in 2012 will be worse than Wake's 2011 numbers, and certainly worse than the Wake/Bedard combined 6-slot numbers of 2011:

Wake 12-11  5.12  1.358  (154.2IP  163H  88ER  47BB)
    Bedard  4-4  4.03  1.553 (38 IP  41 H  17 ER  18 BB)
    Total:  16-15 4.90  1.389

I don't have high hopes for...
    Miller  9-3  5.54  1.815
    Silva ('08-'10: 15-24  5.82  1.49)
    Minor leaguers of 2011...
    doing better than Wake and Bedard did in 2011.
    We may not have any funds or prospects to pick-up another Bedard in July.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

He's an insurance policy nothing more. If starters go down and he gets a call and make a few starts and helps RS then the insurance policy paid off. Nothing more. Anyone who thinks he will come to ST and win the 5 spot in rotation, I have some property I'm looking to sell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Moon - Did we lose Doubront?  I don't see him in the left column of your 2011/12 comparison.  Ditto for Aceves.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

How about Brandon Webb - sign him to a minor league contract.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Moon - Did we lose Doubront?  I don't see him in the left column of your 2011/12 comparison.  Ditto for Aceves.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

No, we still have both.

I cut and pasted another poster's list to compare 2011 to 2012. The list should actuallu look like this:

1) Beckett            Beck   same
    2) Lester              Lest     same
    3) Buch                Buch   same (hopefull better if gives us 28+ starts)
    4) Bard                 Lack   we are better than 2011 (hopefully)
    5) Dice (after July) Dice   same (expect about the same amount of starts)
    6) Aceves           Wake    we are better than 2011 (but I think Aceves will be a RP)
    7) Miller                Bedard we are worse than 2011
    8) Doub                Miller    we are better than 2011 (Doub was hurt)
    9) Silva/Wilson/Tazawa/Duck     Aceves/Weiland/Doub/Taz  we are worse than 2011

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]He's an insurance policy nothing more. If starters go down and he gets a call and make a few starts and helps RS then the insurance policy paid off. Nothing more. Anyone who thinks he will come to ST and win the 5 spot in rotation, I have some property I'm looking to sell.
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]

Right.  He is depth.  If you don't have 7+ options going into the season, you aren't being realistic about injuries.  Silva is a good guy to have if someone has to make a few starts when an inevitable DL stint arises. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Moon - Did we lose Doubront?  I don't see him in the left column of your 2011/12 comparison.  Ditto for Aceves.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

That one's on me.  I just don't see Doubront in the starting rotation, unless he breaks camp there.  I believe he's out of options, and it would be exceptionally difficult to get him stretched out from a bullpen role mid-season.

I suppose Ace could still give a spot start or 2, but I see him continuing his role from last year as long relief.  IMO he should start the year piggybacking on Bard's starts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva : I'm sure the Sox and everyteam has given thought to Webb, and probably even seen him throw.  If he is getting this little attention, its probably because he is done. And I'm in favor of giving minor league deals to ANYONE.   As long as they can throw...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

When Webb was trying to make a comeback with the Rangers, he could only get up to the low 80's with his fastball.  Unless he's been able to improve on that dramatically, he's done.

I'd also be happy with Wake on a minor league deal with a low, prorated MLB salary (< $1M), the question is would he swallow his pride and accept one.