Re: Red Sox signed Carlos Silva
posted at 1/5/2012 4:26 PM EST
The funny thing is that compared to this time last year, the list is about the same aside from Weiland.
Not really. It is very different and a little worse...
1) Beckett Beck same
2) Lester Lest same
3) Buch Buch same (hopefull better if gives us 28+ starts)
4) Bard Lack we are better than 2011 (hopefully)
5) Dice (after July) Dice same (expect about the same amount of starts)
6) A. Miller Wake we are worse than 2011
7) Silva Bedard we are worse than 2011
8) Alex Wilson Miller we are wrose than 2011
9) Tazawa/Duck Aceves/Weiland/Doub/Taz we are worse than 2011
6-10 we are worse now than 2011. And, we made our pen worse by moving Bard to the 4 slot.
I know many of you think Wake was bad, but we did go 12-11 in his starts and would have done even better had be only been given 15-18 starts as he should have. I'd lay 3:1 odds that the combined stats (team record, ERA, and WHIP) of ...
Miller, Silva, Wilson and whoever else from your list that starts in 2012 will be worse than Wake's 2011 numbers, and certainly worse than the Wake/Bedard combined 6-slot numbers of 2011:
Wake 12-11 5.12 1.358 (154.2IP 163H 88ER 47BB)
Bedard 4-4 4.03 1.553 (38 IP 41 H 17 ER 18 BB)
Total: 16-15 4.90 1.389
I don't have high hopes for...
Miller 9-3 5.54 1.815
Silva ('08-'10: 15-24 5.82 1.49)
Minor leaguers of 2011...
doing better than Wake and Bedard did in 2011.
We may not have any funds or prospects to pick-up another Bedard in July.