Red Sox system depth at catcher

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox system depth at catcher

This is the best and brightest future we have had at this position in a long time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I believe they have this position covered pretty well. I really hope Lavarnway heads back to AAA so that he plays everyday and gets lots of AB's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

i agree.  Let's see if Salty is the answer.  At 26 he is at the same age as Varitek when he broke through.  if he can get the average up into the 250s or 260s, he could be the guy.  Given that he hit 17 HRs, I think that he is good for 15-22 on a regular basis.  This year will tell.

Lavarnway can't be hurt by getting more seasoning and then there is Swihart, who is only 19.  They have completely changed the catching dynamic.  Texas used to be catcher central.  it may be the Red Sox later this year and over the next couple as they stockpile people.  Can't keep them all

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Truly one of the strongest catching groups in a long while for Boston! Salty definately has competition coming Lavarnway,Exposito,Butler,Peley,Swihart and I know they drafted another catcher in last summers draft who was highly rated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Agree. RS have some talent at C position. Really have a good feeling about Salty this year. Think he got a little tired late last year from not catching much the past couple of years. Lavernway at worst will be a good hitting medicore defensive catcher and if RS scouts are right the best of the bunch is Swihart who at best is about 3-4 yrs away. Future looks good at this position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Lack of agility behind the plate shows up in passed balls, and Salty led the universe in that category last year. He couldn't possibly hit enough home runs to make up for the runs he has generated for the opposing team from behind the plate.

I wish we could see what we could get for him and rely on Lavarnway, Soppach, et. al., behind the plate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox system depth at catcher:
    Lack of agility behind the plate shows up in passed balls, and Salty led the universe in that category last year. He couldn't possibly hit enough home runs to make up for the runs he has generated for the opposing team from behind the plate. I wish we could see what we could get for him and rely on Lavarnway, Soppach, et. al., behind the plate.
    Posted by lasitter

When a Catcher has a passed ball, all runners advance ONE base.  Four bases equal a run.  So you could estimate that for every four passed balls, Salty costs the Sox one run.

He had 26 passed balls.  The league average is about 12.  So Salty had about 14 passed balls above average.  14/4 = 3.5.  So his passed balls cost the sox about 3.5 runs.  

You say that no amount of homeruns will compensate for the passed balls.  I say 1-2 will.

Defense is soooo overrated for catchers.  Passed balls will not kill you over the course of a season.  Neither will stolen bases allowed.  And if your catcher cant call a game, CALL THEM FROM THE DUGOUT.

Which brings me to my next point....The heck with Salty, TRADE FOR NAPOLI!!!!

The dude gets part type playing time, which is utterly rediculous.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Lavarnaway , Renaudo, Lars, and Swihart for Napoli :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

While we are at it, can we talk about how Iglesias may not even be the best SS prospect the Sox have?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Agree. RS have some talent at C position. Really have a good feeling about Salty this year. Think he got a little tired late last year from not catching much the past couple of years.
    Posted by garyhow

That same concern applies to Lava too.  Lava has never caught a full season in the minors because he doesn't play on days that he does catching drills, which has been every other day.  It would be nice to see how he responds to actually playing every day in AAA before being put on the big stage as long as the DH spot is filled by Papi.  Otherwise I'd suggest splitting the PT between Lava and Salty at C and DH, giving Salty the complete day off when Youk/Agon/Ells/ etc. need a half day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox system depth at catcher : When a Catcher has a passed ball, all runners advance ONE base.  Four bases equal a run.  So you could estimate that for every four passed balls, Salty costs the Sox one run. He had 26 passed balls.  The league average is about 12.  So Salty had about 14 passed balls above average.  14/4 = 3.5.  So his passed balls cost the sox about 3.5 runs.   You say that no amount of homeruns will compensate for the passed balls.  I say 1-2 will. Defense is soooo overrated for catchers.  Passed balls will not kill you over the course of a season.  Neither will stolen bases allowed.  And if your catcher cant call a game, CALL THEM FROM THE DUGOUT. Which brings me to my next point....The heck with Salty, TRADE FOR NAPOLI!!!! The dude gets part type playing time, which is utterly rediculous.  
    Posted by Drewski5

Let's not forget the Wakefield effect as well.  I feel like I should point out that it isn't really fair to say 4 PB's = 1 run since you can have multiple base runners advance on a PB, which would then be 2 or even 3 bases or .5 to .75 runs from a single PB.  Similar to the logic you used in saying 1-2 HR's makes up for it.  There isn't really any quick way to tell how many runs Salty's PB's cost the Sox, but I agree in principle that it wasn't as big of a deal as his detractors would like to think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkny2003. Show hawkny2003's posts

Saltalamacchia's key is physical stamina.  He tired towards the end of 2010, clearly, because he had not played in as many games or had as many at bats since he played minor league ball before being called up by the Braves.  If he has worked on building his stamina up over this off season, he should put up much improved offensive numbers in 2011.  As I recall, before Saltalamacchia began to wear down he raised his paltry .180 BA, at the start of the seaon, to well up over .260, in August.  As the season went on, he also found a power groove. Thus, in 2011, to expect "Salty" to put up numbers like ... .280/25/80 with an OBP in the range of .320 to .340  in 120 games is not an unreasonable expectation.  
    His game calling is improving and his confidence is noticeably up.  Save an except his awkward, right handed, right footed throw back to the pitcher (rather than leading with his left foot),  every facet of his game is much better than it was at the start of 2010. 

BTW, Jarrod was assigned to catch Wakefield nearly every time the knuckler took the mound in 2010.  Assumedly, this accounts for at least half the passed balls credited to his 2010 statistics.  He should have far fewer in 2011 with Wakefield now off the roster and in retirement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Saltalamacchia's key is physical stamina.  He tired towards the end of 2010, clearly, because he had not played in as many games or had as many at bats since he played minor league ball before being called up by the Braves.  If he has worked on building his stamina up over this off season, he should put up much improved offensive numbers in 2011.  As I recall, before Saltalamacchia began to wear down he raised his paltry .180 BA, at the start of the seaon, to well up over .260, in August.  As the season went on, he also found a power groove. Thus, in 2011, to expect "Salty" to put up numbers like ... .280/25/80 with an OBP in the range of .320 to .340  in 120 games is not an unreasonable expectation.   His game calling is improving and his confidence is noticeably up.  Save an except his awkward, right handed, right footed throw back to the pitcher (rather than leading with his left foot),  every facet of his game is much better than it was at the start of 2010.  BTW, Jarrod was assigned to catch Wakefield nearly every time the knuckler took the mound in 2010.  Assumedly, this accounts for at least half the passed balls credited to his 2010 statistics.  He should have far fewer in 2011 with Wakefield now off the roster and in retirement.
    Posted by hawkny2003

If he puts up those offensive numbers, we should all be willing to put up with his defense, which is below average (but far from horrendous)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Also a runner must be on base for there to e a passed ball, and tht could be from a single 2b 3b or walk etc. O a baserunner could advance 3bags to score. You could argue that every passball results in .333-.5 runs. He my cost more like 4-7 runs. Iam optimistic from a full season behind the plate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Saltalamacchia's key is physical stamina.  He tired towards the end of 2010, clearly, because he had not played in as many games or had as many at bats since he played minor league ball before being called up by the Braves.  If he has worked on building his stamina up over this off season, he should put up much improved offensive numbers in 2011.  As I recall, before Saltalamacchia began to wear down he raised his paltry .180 BA, at the start of the seaon, to well up over .260, in August.  As the season went on, he also found a power groove. Thus, in 2011, to expect "Salty" to put up numbers like ... .280/25/80 with an OBP in the range of .320 to .340  in 120 games is not an unreasonable expectation.   His game calling is improving and his confidence is noticeably up.  Save an except his awkward, right handed, right footed throw back to the pitcher (rather than leading with his left foot),  every facet of his game is much better than it was at the start of 2010.  BTW, Jarrod was assigned to catch Wakefield nearly every time the knuckler took the mound in 2010.  Assumedly, this accounts for at least half the passed balls credited to his 2010 statistics.  He should have far fewer in 2011 with Wakefield now off the roster and in retirement.
    Posted by hawkny2003

Fix your years and I agree with you (we're going into the 2012 season, last season was 2011) Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Lack of agility behind the plate shows up in passed balls, and Salty led the universe in that category last year. He couldn't possibly hit enough home runs to make up for the runs he has generated for the opposing team from behind the plate. I wish we could see what we could get for him and rely on Lavarnway, Soppach, et. al., behind the plate.
    Posted by lasitter

Agree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he puts up those offensive numbers, we should all be willing to put up with his defense, which is below average (but far from horrendous)

Agreed, unless pitchers let up a run or two more because he's calling the pitches.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox system depth at catcher : When a Catcher has a passed ball, all runners advance ONE base.  Four bases equal a run.  So you could estimate that for every four passed balls, Salty costs the Sox one run. He had 26 passed balls.  The league average is about 12.  So Salty had about 14 passed balls above average.  14/4 = 3.5.  So his passed balls cost the sox about 3.5 runs.   You say that no amount of homeruns will compensate for the passed balls.  I say 1-2 will. Defense is soooo overrated for catchers.  Passed balls will not kill you over the course of a season.  Neither will stolen bases allowed.  And if your catcher cant call a game, CALL THEM FROM THE DUGOUT. Which brings me to my next point....The heck with Salty, TRADE FOR NAPOLI!!!! The dude gets part type playing time, which is utterly rediculous.  
    Posted by Drewski5

A catcher with a habit of allowing passed balls doesn't make the pitcher comfortable.  A pitcher needs to know that a catcher can stop the ball even if its not perfect. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

PBs and blocking the plate is just a small portion of a catcher's importance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox system depth at catcher : A catcher with a habit of allowing passed balls doesn't make the pitcher comfortable.  A pitcher needs to know that a catcher can stop the ball even if its not perfect. 
    Posted by jh13[/QUOT
    Pitchers may hesitate to throw the 0 and 2 or 1 and 2 pitch in the dirt in they lack confidence in the catcher's ability to block the ball. Batters have been known to chase pitches like that.

Sections
Shortcuts