red sox talking to laroche....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: red sox talking to laroche....

he's still a free agent from what i hear.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Offer the 3rd rate LaRoche a one year and 5M contract, which is quite expensive for someone of his profile. Offer Napoli a take it or leave it one year deal at 15M with an option for year two and buyout of 1M, which is a big risk.

Cherry has been caught with his pants down. He should have already signed Loney for 2M to make sure he had a backup plan in place until the trade market improved.

Loney already signed with the Rays for 2M.  He isn't an option anymore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

This whole "talking to LaRoche" could also be a ploy to get Napoli to accept the language they are trying to put in for the injuries.  I would expect no other team is going to want to sign him for what the Sox offered now, and especially without language to protect that organization.

LaRoche also wants 3 years and it appears he isn't budging from that.  He's a year or two  older than Napoli, but also has a history of injuries.

Guess we'll find out sooner or later.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"So they lose a second round draft choice? Ben thinks he can hold onto everything, and still get what he wants. Ridiculous. Not every draft choice will be a star, let alone and MLB player."

I realize that sometimes it's necessary to give a a draft pick or prospects to get what you want, but I completely agree with Ben's philosophy of not giving up your draft picks if at all possible.  Aside from the draft pick involved, I am not crazy about signing Laroche for 3 years. 

Laroche had a career best season last year, at the age of 32.   While I think he will be good, I don't think he will repeat his 2012 season.  IMO, he's not worth a draft pick and 3 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

"So they lose a second round draft choice? Ben thinks he can hold onto everything, and still get what he wants. Ridiculous. Not every draft choice will be a star, let alone and MLB player."

I realize that sometimes it's necessary to give a a draft pick or prospects to get what you want, but I completely agree with Ben's philosophy of not giving up your draft picks if at all possible.  Aside from the draft pick involved, I am not crazy about signing Laroche for 3 years. 

Laroche had a career best season last year, at the age of 32.   While I think he will be good, I don't think he will repeat his 2012 season.  IMO, he's not worth a draft pick and 3 years.

The other thing about signing FAs with qualifying offers, is that in addition to losing the draft pick, you lose the money you were allocated for that draft pick as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Give Berkman a year with Gomez as the back-up.

Morales would have been a great affordable option, but he is now in Seattle.

Shift Bogaerts to first and have him take over 1st base next year, or look for a better FA option for next year.

Bogaerts will need a spot. Iggy should be at short by then.... hopefully.

2014 infield: Bogaerts, Pedey, Iggy, WMB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Koolga's comment:

This whole "talking to LaRoche" could also be a ploy to get Napoli to accept the language they are trying to put in for the injuries.  I would expect no other team is going to want to sign him for what the Sox offered now, and especially without language to protect that organization.

If the Red Sox have legitimate concerns about Mike Napoli's health, fine.

If the Red Sox are using Adam LaRoche as a "ploy" to reduce Napoli's demands (and, more importantly, the leaked health concerns to inhibit Napoli's market value), that's a serious problem that could have dire consequences in the future with free agents and their agents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

If the Red Sox have legitimate concerns about Mike Napoli's health, fine.

If the Red Sox are using Adam LaRoche as a "ploy" to reduce Napoli's demands (and, more importantly, the leaked health concerns to inhibit Napoli's market value), that's a serious problem that could have dire consequences in the future with free agents and their agents.

I think that it's much simpler. Napoli wants three years. RS want 1-2 years. RS are talking to options to see how affordable they may be.

The reason this has gone on so long is that RS are stuck at 1-2 years and probably are offering vesting options that Napoli does not want.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Offer the 3rd rate LaRoche a one year and 5M contract, which is quite expensive for someone of his profile. Offer Napoli a take it or leave it one year deal at 15M with an option for year two and buyout of 1M, which is a big risk.

Cherry has been caught with his pants down. He should have already signed Loney for 2M to make sure he had a backup plan in place until the trade market improved.

Loney already signed with the Rays for 2M.  He isn't an option anymore.

The fact he sucks should have made him an non option

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

I think that it's much simpler. Napoli wants three years. RS want 1-2 years. RS are talking to options to see how affordable they may be. The reason this has gone on so long is that RS are stuck at 1-2 years and probably are offering vesting options that Napoli does not want.

I have no inside information on the negotiations, but Boston Globe columnist Chad Finn reported on December 3 that the Red Sox had negotiated Mike Napoli down from four years to the reported three years:

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2012/12/mike_napoli_red_sox.html

If that's accurate -- and that's a big "if" -- the Red Sox tactics could be called into question.

Of course, tentative agreements are contingent on physical exams. The Red Sox would be dealing in good faith if the Sox have legitimate concerns about Napoli's health.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Is Mike Napoli speaking with other teams? If not, should he be?

Here is one answer:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21249516/source-napoli-has-interest-other-team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Berkman is the smarter option.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Berkman is the smarter option.

i would think so. without knowing the specifics of Naps injury i would just walk away, if LaRoche would sign for 2 years i would jump on it despite the draft assets lost. Berkman would be another good option if he could be had on a 1 year deal. LB has had some injury concerns but we have a servicable backup in Gomez who could hold his own for short periods of time IMO.

after that the FA list for 1Bman falls off the map. We could package salty/lava, Aceves/other BP arms and a couple prospects for a decent 1Bman..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If LaRoche returns to Washington Morse becomes avsilable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Is Mike Napoli speaking with other teams? If not, should he be?

I wouldn't blame either party for exploring their options.(Based on the rumors)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I think that it's much simpler. Napoli wants three years. RS want 1-2 years. RS are talking to options to see how affordable they may be. The reason this has gone on so long is that RS are stuck at 1-2 years and probably are offering vesting options that Napoli does not want.

I have no inside information on the negotiations, but Boston Globecolumnist Chad Finn reported on December 3 that the Red Sox had negotiated Mike Napoli down from four years to the reported three years:

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2012/12/mike_napoli_red_sox.html

If that's accurate -- and that's a big "if" -- the Red Sox tactics could be called into question.

Of course, tentative agreements are contingent on physical exams. The Red Sox would be dealing in good faith if the Sox have legitimate concerns about Napoli's health.

I think that this sentence is the key. I believe that the RS would have taken Napoli at 3/39 and been very happy with it if the hip was not a huge issue. After the physical, it seems that the hip IS a rather significant issue. Not so large that they would completely cancel the deal, but large enough that 3 years is no longer an option. RS seemed to be hesitant only after the physical.

IF Napoli falls through, I would rather that they get a 1 year rental out of Berkman. Infield is getting kind of crowded and either moving WMB to first so Bogaerts can play third or getting Bogaerts to play first would be better options, in my opinion. Start Bogaerts in Pawtucket and see if he is ready after the All-Star break. I want to see the kid play - - not be held up for three more years of "seasoning".....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm willing to guess the "hip issue" is our out for a bad contract offer.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think that it's much simpler. Napoli wants three years. RS want 1-2 years.RS are talking to options to see how affordable they may be. The reason this has gone on so long is that RS are stuck at 1-2 years and probably are offering vesting options that Napoli does not want.

I have no inside information on the negotiations, but Boston Globecolumnist Chad Finn reported on December 3 that the Red Sox had negotiated Mike Napoli down from four years to the reported three years:

I think that this sentence is the key. I believe that the RS would have taken Napoli at 3/39 and been very happy with it if the hip was not a huge issue. After the physical, it seems that the hip IS a rather significant issue. Not so large that they would completely cancel the deal, but large enough that 3 years is no longer an option. RS seemed to be hesitant only after the physical.

IF Napoli falls through, I would rather that they get a 1 year rental out of Berkman. Infield is getting kind of crowded and either moving WMB to first so Bogaerts can play third or getting Bogaerts to play first would be better options, in my opinion. Start Bogaerts in Pawtucket and see if he is ready after the All-Star break. I want to see the kid play - - not be held up for three more years of "seasoning".....

The MLBPA have already said they were behind the Sox if they should decide to not sign napoli after looking at the medicals. There is no shady business here, just a team being cautious about who they give 13M per to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

He should have already signed Loney for 2M to make sure he had a backup plan in place until the trade market improved.

Loney already signed with the Rays for 2M.  He isn't an option anymore

What part of "should have already signed Loney for 2M" don't you get.

Deep breaths there Softy.  Just pointing it out.  Also, like poprox13 said above, he sucked anyway.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The MLBPA have already said they were behind the Sox if they should decide to not sign napoli after looking at the medicals. There is no shady business here, just a team being cautious about who they give 13M per to.

Do you have a source for this information?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

The other thing about signing FAs with qualifying offers, is that in addition to losing the draft pick, you lose the money you were allocated for that draft pick as well.

no small thing when you consdier where the Sox will be drafting this year (top 10)...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end, as I know you're aware every contract is contingent upon the player passing a physical. In the case of Napoli who lost time last year due to the injury, thus every team that entertained the idea of signing him had to have legitimate concerns. He and his agent had to know that once the Red Sox medical staff got to see his records and perform their own physical to include an MRI. That they'd be subjected to questions and likely have to sit down and modify the agreement.

Conspiracy theorist can have fun with this one but given that Napoli was not offered a new deal by his existing club and in fact was non-tendered by them not wanting to risk his accepting arbitration. Was a red flag that every team in the game was well aware of..

As such the Red Sox management team rightfully are trying to mitigate the risk of his losing time due to a pre-existing condition FYI both parties can walk away from this deal anytime they want to..That both parties are still talking speaks to the desire to get something done...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Obvious: Napolis hip is bad

More Obvoius: Napolis camp wants to still get $13 million a year

Blatant Obvious: Cherrington has boxed himself in and will pay this idiot Napoli whatever it takes to not lose face. 

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts