red sox talking to oswalt....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

red sox talking to oswalt....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/red-sox-talking-to-roy-oswalt.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: red sox talking to oswalt....

and this on padilla......http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/report-vicente-padilla-close-to-signing-with-boston-red-sox-gets-physical-done.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd offer Oswalt $4M base/1 year. Easy incentives based on GS/IP that could bring him to $6M, and more difficult ones that could bring him to $7.5M or $8M.

I wouldn't offer him $8M. It's not like the time we gave Schill $8M to try and play one more year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Agree with you moon...Oswalt could be a real catch if the Sox can get him cheap enough and he has no back issues...15 game winner would not be out of the realm of possibility for him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Oswalt is an old man and his risk mean that 1 to 2M plus some carrots for performance is the limit of his value. I expect he will become another team's regret. Nothing about Oswalt is impressive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

hankwilliamsjr, oswalt is not that old. he is 34 and is 2 years removed from a really good season in which he posted a sub 3.00 era. Keep in mind he is the same age as roy halladay, and i dont think anyone would call him an old man. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

I'm not sure signing Oswalt levels the playing field with the Yankees and Rays. If however they can make a low cost deal with incentives based on Games started it would give them at least an alternative to moving both Bard/Aceves to the starting rotation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

While Hank is using a bit of hyperbole when he says old, some scouts think that his back injury last year has rendered him just as much a liability as an older pitcher near the end of his career. The fact that the Phillies refused to keep him, instead opting for a buyout to the tune of $2 million, is hardly an encouraging sign.  I dreaded the thought of the Yanks signing him as a solution to their mound woes, like Hank does as a Red Sox fan.  He could turn out to be a real surprise, but I would not sign him out of a need to match the Yanks at this time.  I seriously doubt that the Bosox will pull the trigger.....

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

You can never have enough pitching. Sign Oswalt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

I'm still holding out for the possibility that whatever SP we sign and the ones we already have, pan out and get the job done so the bullpen has Bailey, Bard, Melancon, and Aceves to lock down the games.  That's a pretty impessive bullpen if we get some good inning eaters for 4th and 5th in the rotation. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: red sox talking to oswalt....":
    I'd offer Oswalt $4M base/1 year. Easy incentives based on GS/IP that could bring him to $6M, and more difficult ones that could bring him to $7.5M or $8M. I wouldn't offer him $8M. It's not like the time we gave Schill $8M to try and play one more year. Posted by moonslav59
    Why not sweeten the offer based on incentives? Surely if Oswalt can get to 200 innings $10 million is worthwhile. I am surprised that Oswalt is not throwing for anyone to prove his health. I saw that Cashman said Yankees didn't even kick the tires on Oswalt because they feel he will not pass a physical. Seems if Oswalt want the contract, he needs to do more to prove healthy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveymo1234. Show daveymo1234's posts

In Response to Re: red sox talking to oswalt....:
    Oswalt is an old man and his risk mean that 1 to 2M plus some carrots for performance is the limit of his value. I expect he will become another team's regret. Nothing about Oswalt is impressive.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Softy, you have to remember we're talking about a 1 year deal for the 4th or 5th starter in the rotation who has the ability to pitch the RS to 12-15 wins...the big question is can he stay healthy...if so then 6mm-8mm will be money well spent I believe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

The Red Sox and Orioles will fight for the cellar. Pitching and defense wins. Bard & Paps gone from the bullpen and we have three legitamate starting pitchers. My as well bring back Wakefield to fill in innings and maybe he can get five wins. That might be the winning difference to beating the Orioles!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we didnt sign Paps, and havent signed anyone who could really improve us...why not invest 8 mil for one year and see what happens...christ, Smoltz got more for pitching 6 games a few years ago...and jenks?????

sign this guy asap

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

The Red Sox and Orioles will fight for the cellar. Pitching and defense wins. Bard & Paps gone from the bullpen and we have three legitamate starting pitchers. My as well bring back Wakefield to fill in innings and maybe he can get five wins. That might be the winning difference to beating the Orioles!
    Posted by jeffory

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Agree with you moon...Oswalt could be a real catch if the Sox can get him cheap enough and he has no back issues...15 game winner would not be out of the realm of possibility for him. 
    Posted by traven

Totally agree. Yes he had some back issues, but when healthy this guy can pitch. Similar to the Yankees signing Kuroda, an older pitcher coming from the National League. Some risk involved but a 1 year contract at the right price is worth taking a chance. I would rather see Ben get Oswalt than Padilla.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In Response to Re: red sox talking to oswalt.... : Softy, you have to remember we're talking about a 1 year deal for the 4th or 5th starter in the rotation who has the ability to pitch the RS to 12-15 wins...the big question is can he stay healthy...if so then 6mm-8mm will be money well spent I believe
    Posted by daveymo1234

davey you already have two of those guys plus two more on the DL. Beckett and Buch are getting paid more than Oswalt and both have medical issues that will probably cause them to miss many turns next summer. 

I would be very happy not signing Oswalt and trying to move Beckett and Buch if you can find partners---then see what your minor league teams really have in the way of talent in ST. Doubrount is not going to clear waivers and he's out of options. You either have to use him in the rotation , trade him or lose him.

If you could successfully move Beckett and get, as an ex., Colby Lewis. Trade prospects for Garza. Lester, Garza,Lewis, Doubrount, Cook, Padilla and Buch.  It's not a great rotation but it's not bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

We put ourselves in this position after Henry and Lucianno gave him the budget. The Yankees took Kuroda who is okay, no guarantees but the other two who are left are Oswalt who is coming back from a back injury and Jackson who has had more changes of address than a soldier on active duty. We are becoming cheap this year and Cherrington has had the riot act read to him by Larry Lucianno and John Henry. What scares me if they do sign Oswalt than they are truely reacting to the Yankees signing of Kuroda and picking up Pineda and really did think that the Yankees were going to do nothing this offseason. Then Cashman once again got the best of them like he has before with Mussina, Damon, Teixeira, Contreras, and others.  Very scarey!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Lester, Garza, Lewis, Doubront, Cook, Padilla and Buch is a downgrade from Lester, Beckett, Buch, Bard, Aceves, Cook, Padilla and Silva, IMO.  What trading Beckett accomplishes, one has to assume or you don't make the deal, is salary relief so that you can sign a FA starter.  But at this point there are only two decent starters left to sign.  One, Edwin Jackson, is going to get a multi-year deal that is NOT cost effective, especially considering the possible FA pitchers in next year's FA class.  The other is Oswalt.

If the luxury tax limit is the hinderance to signing Oswalt, I am afraid trading Beckett is not the realistic answer.  Besides, substituting Oswalt for Beckett is not an upgrade.  Trading Scutaro, Salty, and possibly Youk would be better options.  All three could be replaced at reasonable salary, and with what might arguably be better players (with the exception of Youk).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I always preferred Kuroda to Oswalt.  Kuroda is a 200 innings guy, almost guaranteed.  But 10-11 million is a lot to pay for a 4th or 5th starter, which is all he is.  He probably has a 4.00+ ERA in the ALE, but still could win 14 or 15 games, which might justify that salary.  We'll see.

But Oswalt with an incentive laden deal is much more of a bargain.  Bargain hunting has been Ben's MO this off-season.  I read MLBTraderumors every couple of hours hoping to read that the Sox have agreed to a contract with Oswalt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: red sox talking to oswalt....":
    In Response to Re: red sox talking to oswalt.... : davey you already have two of those guys plus two more on the DL. Beckett and Buch are getting paid more than Oswalt and both have medical issues that will probably cause them to miss many turns next summer.  I would be very happy not signing Oswalt and trying to move Beckett and Buch if you can find partners---then see what your minor league teams really have in the way of talent in ST. Doubrount is not going to clear waivers and he's out of options. You either have to use him in the rotation , trade him or lose him. If you could successfully move Beckett and get, as an ex., Colby Lewis. Trade prospects for Garza. Lester, Garza,Lewis, Doubrount, Cook, Padilla and Buch.  It's not a great rotation but it's not bad. Posted by MadMc44
    Yup, let's trade two guys with top of the rotation stuff, because we "assume" they are going to miss lots of starts because of injury, especially when our biggest concern, on paper, is the rotation. Then let's trade our top 3 or 4 prospects for Garza, when the Cubs are dealing from a position of strength right now. So we clean out the farm, make our competition (Rangers) better and weaken the rotation? Is that the plan? By the way, why can't Doubront pitch out of the pen?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to red sox talking to oswalt....:

At the moment the Sox are talking to any pitcher who can throw to home plate and needs a job.  The Yankees traded their top prospect for a young pitcher which is what we need to do in order to possibly improve our rotation long term.  When I say young I mean under 30 and Garza is still a great choice because he has the talent and mindset to win in our division.  We don't need a former NL pitcher like Oswalt or Kuroda who have never faced any real fan pressure, or a bunch of low budget arms for anything more than depth in the event of injury which is what I hope we do. 

Give the Cubs any youngster but Lavarnway or Barnes and just get it over with. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to "Re: red sox talking to oswalt....": Why not sweeten the offer based on incentives? Surely if Oswalt can get to 200 innings $10 million is worthwhile. I am surprised that Oswalt is not throwing for anyone to prove his health. I saw that Cashman said Yankees didn't even kick the tires on Oswalt because they feel he will not pass a physical. Seems if Oswalt want the contract, he needs to do more to prove healthy.
    Posted by rkarp

I think there are limits of what percent of any deal is incentive in nature.

I still think trading for a starter is the best option. These FAs are way too expensive.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

If the sox can sign Wake on the cheap(500k) why not. He provides very inexpensive insurance.  I would still like to see someone like Oswalt signed though.

Sections
Shortcuts