red sox talking to oswalt....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: red sox talking to oswalt....

In Response to Re: red sox talking to oswalt....:
    I'd offer Oswalt $4M base/1 year. Easy incentives based on GS/IP that could bring him to $6M, and more difficult ones that could bring him to $7.5M or $8M. I wouldn't offer him $8M. It's not like the time we gave Schill $8M to try and play one more year.
    Posted by moonslav59

Obviously, $4 mil plus incentives would be preferable, but I would have no problem with signing Oswalt for $8 mil on a one year deal.  Of course he carries risks, but for one year at that price, I think he's worth taking a chance on.  I would prefer that cost in dollars over the possible cost of another pitcher in prospects plus dollars.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I would be very happy not signing Oswalt and trying to move Beckett and Buch if you can find partners---then see what your minor league teams really have in the way of talent in ST. Doubrount is not going to clear waivers and he's out of options. You either have to use him in the rotation , trade him or lose him. If you could successfully move Beckett and get, as an ex., Colby Lewis. Trade prospects for Garza. Lester, Garza,Lewis, Doubrount, Cook, Padilla and Buch.  It's not a great rotation but it's not bad.
    Posted by MadMc44

I don't understand the desire to move Beckett.  He was our best pitcher last season, and 2010 aside, he has been one of the best pitchers in the league since since joining the Red Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

If the sox can sign Wake on the cheap(500k) why not. He provides very inexpensive insurance.  I would still like to see someone like Oswalt signed though.
    Posted by william93063

If Wake would agree to a minor league deal, I would take him in a heartbeat.  He provides very good depth insurance.  He just isn't meant to make 23 starts, and I don't like his role in the bullpen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always preferred Kuroda to Oswalt.  Kuroda is a 200 innings guy, almost guaranteed.  But 10-11 million is a lot to pay for a 4th or 5th starter, which is all he is.  He probably has a 4.00+ ERA in the ALE, but still could win 14 or 15 games, which might justify that salary.  We'll see. But Oswalt with an incentive laden deal is much more of a bargain.  Bargain hunting has been Ben's MO this off-season.  I read MLBTraderumors every couple of hours hoping to read that the Sox have agreed to a contract with Oswalt.
    Posted by parhunter1

I'm watching for a trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

This situation is very scary so close to pitchers and catchers.  As much as I hate to admit it, there are few options left other than Oswalt that are not just hope and prayer (ala Miller, Silva, Cook, etc.).  Oswalt did pitch regularly at the end of last year, and was able to go 7 in the majority of his Aug/Sep starts.  Living in PA I saw him a lot, and as much as I hate his delivery and general mannerisms, he is a competitor.  We need a one year option since very likely Lackey will have to be back in the rotation in '13.  Nobody will take that contract or even a reasonable fraction of it.

Random other pitching thoughts:
    - Lets hope Kuroda reminds NYY fans of Kevin Brown, and let's hope the Bard experiment does not remind us of Joba Chamberlain
    - Being out of options, Doubrandt could likely take Wake's role as the all purpose guy, spot starter, emergency for extra innings, sacrifice for blow-outs or early starter exits.  He may do well in this role and develop into more for the future
    - Would rather see Bowden on the opening day roster than Albers
    - Morales could be the biggest pleasant surprise of 2012.
    - Is anyone else nervous about Beckett's history in even years?  Take a look at his numbers, and its getting to be a reasonable sample size.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

34 and is 2 years removed from a really good season in which he posted a sub 3.00 era

A. 2 years removed a "really good season in NL" is not worth more than 2 million plus incentives

B. 2 NL teams have thrown Oswalt in their dumpsters. The Astros know his medical history, top to bottom

C. Red Sox are built to win games with offense when the typical game is close through the first 6 innings and change. Roy Oswalt is not the value answer for that.

The Red Sox need to look to trade deadline for a better value starting pitcher, and demand the current 50 million plus year pitching prima donnas actually produce and show up ready for work.

Best value is to trade for superstar RH Of'er and improve offensive balance and win more games against the so-called "great pitching", like the 2009 Yankees did. The 2009 Yankees had no mercy for evey the best pitchers, who would make one little mistake and it was ballgame!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Red Sox Would Have To Move Payroll For Oswalt

It's been a bizarro offseason, with the Marlins spending freely, the Angels winning a top free agent, and the Yankees and Red Sox exercising financial caution.  The Red Sox would have to make a move to free up payroll in order to sign Roy Oswalt, reports WEEI's Rob Bradford, putting a deal in doubt.

The Red Sox have maintained dialogue with Oswalt's agent in recent days, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, who feels the team must fortify their rotation.  Reportedly, Oswalt is looking for about $8MM guaranteed on a one-year deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

In Response to Re: red sox talking to oswalt.... : I'm watching for a trade.
    Posted by moonslav59

That too, of course.  Maybe in tandem...signing of Oswalt, along with trading Jenks and Scutaro for a top pitching prospect from the Cubs as compensation for Theo (or something like that).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Something everyone is missing here is that Major league Contracts are insured when players are injured. Henry and Company are collecting insurance on Matsusaka and Lackey. Enough with this luxury tax nonsense this team is preaching. We are a big market team that is sold out every game and they are amking a ton on concessions and food at Fenway, so please stop with the small market poverty speeches.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: red sox talking to oswalt.... : I don't understand the desire to move Beckett.  He was our best pitcher last season, and 2010 aside, he has been one of the best pitchers in the league since since joining the Red Sox.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

The Forum desire to move Beckett is championed by a few posters who are obsessed with beer, chicken, and video games. It is an chant based on emotion rather than logic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

We don't need a former NL pitcher like Oswalt or Kuroda who have never faced any real fan pressure

Roy Oswalt never pitched under pressure? He's made 11 post-season starts, including one in the World Series. Other than Josh Beckett (13 playoff starts) that's more post-season experience than anyone on the Red Sox roster. His career playoff ERA is 3.73. He spent the last year and a half in Philadelphia, one of the toughest sports markets anywhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I am not thumping for a trade of Beckett, and I am not suggesting he might be worth trading simply because of beer, chicken and video games.  But, if Beckett can be traded for a good #3 type starter who is younger and under team control, then it makes all the sense in the world to consider such a trade, even if it means eating 5-6 million of his salary, or including a young pitching prospect, such as Wilson.  Why?  Because you free up salary for other things (like signing Oswalt).  And you avoid what I still think is a potential showdon of egos between the Josh Man and Bobby V (a good name for a musical group, IMO).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: red sox talking to oswalt.... : The Forum desire to move Beckett is championed by a few posters who are obsessed with beer, chicken, and video games. It is an chant based on emotion rather than logic.
    Posted by UticaClub

Well, it makes no sense to be to talk about how starting pitching is our biggest area of need, then to turn right around and talk about trading away one of the best pitchers in the league.

I guess there are some who truly believe that this year is a rebuilding year for the Sox, which makes about as much sense to me as trading Beckett does.  We are a playoff contending team now, IMO.  We are one good #4 pitcher away from being a very strong contender.  Who knows, maybe we'll find lightning in a bottle with one of the reclamation projects.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

The reality is the Red Sox are lacking depth across the board. An injury to a position player could bring players like Punto and Shoppach into full time play.
    The starting rotation at this point is three deep, with a lot of questions thereafter. While the bullpen is a wait and see proposition. This team can make the post season, but luck will have to play a big roll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

An injury to any team's starting 9 will mean a scrub off the bench plays full time.

I would submit it takes a lot of luck for any team to make the post season, especially in the ALE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Oswalt doesnt want Boston - he is hoping St. Louis comes a calling..... he doesnt want Boston unless all else fails

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

if we need to free up money to sign oswalt, then it is pretty obvious who we need to trade. Marco scutaro is not worth 6 mill and should be the guy dealt in order to free up the money we need to sign oswalt. we have iglesias to be the starter and punto to back him up. at this point iglesias is far better defnesively than scutaro. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

if we need to free up money to sign oswalt, then it is pretty obvious who we need to trade. Marco scutaro is not worth 6 mill and should be the guy dealt in order to free up the money we need to sign oswalt. we have iglesias to be the starter and punto to back him up. at this point iglesias is far better defnesively than scutaro. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

If Marco Scutaro is not worth $6 million, what team would trade a less expensive player (who presumably be under his team's control for multiple years)? What teams need a versatile 36-year-old infielder who is owed $6 million in his final year under team control?

The Red Sox are in a tough spot if they're looking to improve ... there are no easy answers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Don't get caught up in the hype about Iglesias. He very well may be the real deal defensively, but he's not where near ready to be an everyday starting SS for a team that wants to contend. If he's batting .155 May with a ton of strikeouts, how long before fans start getting on his case and it's quite possible that ie affects his defense. There is absolutely no need to rush him. It would be the dumbest thing the Sox could do.

I like Scutaro but if it means getting Oswalt, I say trade him. But go with an Aviles-Punto platoon at SS. Leave Iglesias in AAA until he shows some ability at the plate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Don't get caught up in the hype about Iglesias. He very well may be the real deal defensively, but he's not where near ready to be an everyday starting SS for a team that wants to contend. If he's batting .155 May with a ton of strikeouts, how long before fans start getting on his case and it's quite possible that ie affects his defense. There is absolutely no need to rush him. It would be the dumbest thing the Sox could do. I like Scutaro but if it means getting Oswalt, I say trade him. But go with an Aviles-Punto platoon at SS. Leave Iglesias in AAA until he shows some ability at the plate.
    Posted by royf19

quite correct Roy....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Not to say they are the same type of player, but how was Pedroia doing in May of his rookie year?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

The RS have a bigger problem then one starting pitcher, as of right now, the RS have very little power coming out of their corner outfielders, on top of the fact that they just traded a decent hitting shortstop, with nothing in the wings to replace him with?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Not to say they are the same type of player, but how was Pedroia doing in May of his rookie year?
    Posted by Skadude22

The difference is that Pedroia had already proven in the minors that he can hit. So it was easy for Francona to have patience and Pedroia, having hit well i nthe minors, had confidence.

Iglesias has yet to prove that he can be an acceptable hitter. So where do you think his confidence level would be if he's under .200 in May.

Sections
Shortcuts