Red Sox To Designate Pierzynski For Assignment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Red Sox to Designate Pierzynski for Assignment...Vazquez in the lineup tonight

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/red-sox-to-designate-a-j-pierzynski-for-assignment.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/red-sox-to-designate-a-j-pierzynski-for-assignment.html

Red Sox To Designate A.J. Pierzynski For Assignment
    By Jeff Todd [July 9, 2014 at 1:36pm CDT]
    The Red Sox are set to designate catcher A.J. Pierzynski for assignment, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The 37-year-old veteran signed a one-year, $8.25MM deal to join Boston over the past offseason.

Needless to say, things did not work out as hoped for the club or the player. Pierzynski owns a .254/.286/.348 line through 274 plate appearances with just four home runs. He had produced at a .275/.311/.462 clip with 44 total long balls over the 2012-13 campaigns.

The veteran could still hold appeal to clubs looking for options behind the dish. As MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes recently explored, the trade market includes relatively few available, attractive veteran backstops. Unless the Sox can find a taker for some of his remaining salary, they will eat the approximately $3.6MM left on Pierzynski’s contract.

Parting with Pierzynski could well be the first step towards at least a partial break-up of a Red Sox team that has fallen well off its World Series from of a year ago. Sitting 10 and a half games out of the division lead, the Red Sox will give a chance to youngster Christian Vazquez, who will learn on the job with help from veteran backup David Ross.

In an appearance on WEEI radio (Twitter links via WEEI.com’s Alex Speier), manager John Farrell confirmed that the club is aiming for something of a youth movement. “We’re turning the page in terms of investing in young players,” he said. Indeed, Vazquez will be one of five rookies in the lineup card for the club tonight, as Tim Britton of the Providence Journal tweets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Red Sox To Designate Pierzynski For Assignment

like he's the reason why they suk

this is the best move Ben could come up with?  pathetic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's one of them, andrew. One move at a time. What makes you think this will the one and only one? Give the guy a chance

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Plus AJ had an crappy attitude

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's one of them, andrew. One move at a time. What makes you think this will the one and only one? Give the guy a chance

[/QUOTE]

he's not one of them.  what did you think he would do?  bat 300 w/ 20 HR's ?  Ben knew what he was getting and then when he got it and OTHERS do not show up he cuts AJP?  it doesn't sit well with me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

he's not one of them.  what did you think he would do?  bat 300 w/ 20 HR's ?  Ben knew what he was getting and then when he got it and OTHERS do not show up he cuts AJP?  it doesn't sit well with me.

He is one of them. No news there, nothing does

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

leave it to Andrew to be miserable.

What moves would you make Andrew????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It's a good start.

My wife saw him off the field in Seattle and smilingly said "be a good boy out there tonight, AJ".  Well, he stopped in his tracks, turned and said some sarcastic stuff to her.  Understand, my wife said it smilingly with no ill intent.  I told my wife to give him the benefit of the doubt because so much has been made about his bad-boy status and that he's probably been sensitized by it.

Well, about a week later, I saw him sulking on the front rail of the dugout as all the other players were all excited about something good which had just happened.

Conclusion?  Where there is smoke there is fire.  I think his rotten personality is a cancer on the team.

It may be a small move(I, personally think it's a big move) by management, but it's certainly in the right direction.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

all things considered (like rookie jitters causing him to make a stupid mistake) you guys are going to love Vasquez behind the plate.  I saw him a ton of times down in Portland.

People always talked about how Jacoby's running game threw off a pitcher....well Christians catching game throws off the runners.  I hope Napoli is ready to take a lot of throws because he isn't afraid to go for the pick off off of first and he has a really strong arm. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Also lets get this out there now, Vasquez has had a decent bat in the minors but nothing special.  He has a good chance to develop at least into an average offensive catcher and perhaps more....but he will probably struggle a bit right off the bat.  But AJP hasn't been good and he is definitely a defensive upgrade BIG time.  Mine as well break him in now during a lost season so he has a better chance at making adjustments next year.

Again I repeat....lets not bash him after 50/100/ or even all of his at bats for this year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it's too bad.  he seemed hype about the sox last postseason in his reporting duties.  i thought he would fit in with the club.  apparently that wasnt the case.....

other names i have posted under:  none

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is one of them. No news there, nothing does

[/QUOTE]

I would argue that he is the poster boy of the Sox struggles this year. An aging bad defensive catcher who couldn't get on base or hit a home run.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Wow...I think this is the first time I've seen the Red Sox throw in the towel before the All Star break...which is exactly what this move says.

Don't get me wrong. I say bring up the kids..but this is yet another catcher for the Sox pitching staff to become accustomed to and not an offensive upgrade at all.

The Red Sox really need to make moves that are going to strengthen the offense....I hope that will be the next one.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow...I think this is the first time I've seen the Red Sox throw in the towel before the All Star break...which is exactly what this move says.

Don't get me wrong. I say bring up the kids..but this is yet another catcher for the Sox pitching staff to become accustomed to and not an offensive upgrade at all.

The Red Sox really need to make moves that are going to strengthen the offense....I hope that will be the next one.

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that AJ was just bad. Removing him for a rookie could end up giving the Sox more offense. AJ just couldn't get on baseball. Even if Vasquez OBP is 300 and at least takes a couple pitches that is a vast improvement. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  38s
    Lots of people ripping Sox for signing Pierzynski. But the number of FA catchers from last winter who have worked out well is awfully short

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  6m
    Pierzynski hit .254/.286/.348 and was DFA’d. McCann hitting .231/.288/.378 for NYY. Good luck finding catching.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes but AJP hitting has been anemic, so it's not exactly a downgrade either.  And considering it is a defensive upgrade it probably does make the team better.

Also the Sox have zero catchers for next year.  Ross and AJP were both free agents, so Vasquez was bound to be here regardless.  Now I fully expect the Sox to bring in a veteran to hold Vasquez but it's better to get his feet wet now in a lost season rather than next year when we are looking to get back into the thick of things again. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that AJ was just bad. Removing him for a rookie could end up giving the Sox more offense. AJ just couldn't get on baseball. Even if Vasquez OBP is 300 and at least takes a couple pitches that is a vast improvement. 

[/QUOTE]

Defensively he was bad. Offensively he was mediocre...like half the team this year...but I see what you are saying and I support bringing up the kids. As long as fans lower their expectations of success this year ( as if they could possibly go lower).....funny...Fenway is starting to look like McCoy...lol. Only wish the ticket prices reflected that as well :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  6m
    Pierzynski hit .254/.286/.348 and was DFA’d. McCann hitting .231/.288/.378 for NYY. Good luck finding catching. 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't want either of these guys, but AJ was less of a risk, since he was just a 1 year deal.

Once we burned salty's bridge, our options were limited. I like Suzuki, because of his defense, but I won't pretend to claim I expected him to hit .300 this year. His cost was under $3M.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to VoiceofReason2014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Vasquez batted .279 and threw out 19 of 48 batters ( 40 percent) this year.

[/QUOTE]

Yes..in the minors. MLB pitching is a whole different animal so don't expect him to hit that decently in the majors. I agree he is for sure a defensive upgrade and it will be nice to have a catcher who can throw out runners consistently...but don't expect too much for the rest of the season. Learning curve and all...which is why I commented that the Sox have thrown in the towel on the season.

25. This post has been removed.