Red Sox to give Bill James expanded role ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox to give Bill James expanded role ...

... according to this report from the Boston Herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Red Sox to give Bill James expanded role ...

I saw that.  It will be interesting to see who he goes after  next year for free agents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Sox front office was best overall when they combined James' stats with old-fashioned scouting like they for the most part in the first seven or eight years of the Henry regime. It was in the last three years when they perhaps relied less on those two and more on the business aspect that things fell apart.

I know some fans like to rip James' sabermetrics, but if they were paying attention, they'd realize signings like Crawford and Lackey weren't his type of signings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wonder if he played a part in the trade?  IMHO, I think the tail end of the Gonzo contract looked scary from a WAR perspective, CC never figured to earn his salary, and Beckett's peripherals were turning against him.  It just looked like a Moneyball type of transaction.

In the long run, I think this is the direction we need to go.  Analytics won't cover everything, but 90% of this is just figuring out how much productive you expect for each dollar spent.  I just can't imagine that James was on board for a 7-year contract for CC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Great. More stats less scouting. Is Carmine getting his own office?
    Bill James, is a senile guy who needs to be retired.
    I'm sure the stats geeks are thrilled.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

Cherrington referred to carmine as SHE when he did his interview on WEEI. So maybe She will get Her own office.
    This would mark the first time Ive read or heard JH take responsibility for anything. No smooth talking or letters to the fans. Just "we knew better". Thats refreshing to hear. Its also refreshing to hear that just making the playoffs is no longer an option. Its now winning the division...That should've been the mindset all along...

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

The bean counters are the problem, not the solution. James is merely a resource, not an opinion, and most certainly not a place to hang a player decision hat on.

Crawford was so obvious that my grandmother would have said No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beckett's extension before 2010 was obvious and a big No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lackey's contract offer from the AL Was obvious and a big No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be glad to give the Red Sox my recommendations, for friee. I have my own system to evaluate player value, and it's not that lame WAR nonsense.

Really?  Would love to see it.  I am sure it is fascinating.  Since you are an attorney and a man of means have you ever attempted to publish it anywhere?  One would think that in your tens of thousands of posts over the years you would have used it to demonstrate a point.  I can't wait to see it...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

I don't really follow what the team philosophy is. It seems like guys who succeed in Boston get lowballed because someone decided they were worth x amount of money for y number of years and if they won't take that they're run out of town.....meanwhile, if someone comes along who hasn't played in Boston and has some kind of statistic they like, they can pretty much name their price.

I'm sure the statistics would tell them otherwise, but Jason Bay had a much better Boston career than Carl Crawford did. And he would have been much cheaper to keep....I know his career's gone down hill but I think a lot of that is due to the move to New York. He was a good fit in Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

Where in the article does it mention less scouting?  Also, I've never heard Beane or Epstein speak of analysis as a replacement for scouting....they always refer to it as a supplement to scouting.  As it should be.  I want more and better scouting and analysis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The bean counters are the problem, not the solution. James is merely a resource, not an opinion, and most certainly not a place to hang a player decision hat on.

Crawford was so obvious that my grandmother would have said No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beckett's extension before 2010 was obvious and a big No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lackey's contract offer from the AL Was obvious and a big No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be glad to give the Red Sox my recommendations, for friee. I have my own system to evaluate player value, and it's not that lame WAR nonsense.

Just to remind you that someone named Softlaw was fine with the annual salary, but thought it should be 4 years instead of five.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Which opinion?

That Cameron should start over Ellsbury?
    That we should trade the farm for Hanley?
    Followed by 'we shouldn't trade for Hanley'?
    That we need to sign VMart for $52M/4?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

www.thisismoney.co.uk/.../Nouriel-Roubini-Economist-predicted-cre... 18 Jul 2012 – Economist Nouriel Roubini who  predicted credit crunch renews

When I read this OP I thought of Roubini.  Henry said in the Herald article that they have used James less the last few years.

Like Roubini, James was probably a disenting voice who has been proven right so the boss is promoting him.  Ben is on the record as big proponent of signing Crawford, enough said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yes, it is called the Use-Big-Buzzwords-That-Don't-Make-Sense-and-Ignore-Reality-When-It Refuses-To-Support-The-Otherwise-Unsupported-Opinions System  Or the UBBTDMSAIRWIRTSTOUO System.

But I will agree it is certainly not that the same as the WAR nonsense...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

Ben is on the record as big proponent of signing Crawford, enough said.

Of course, on the other hand, it could be that as part of the front office, he's just manning up, taking responsibility and not throwing anyone under the bus.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Just to remind you that someone named Softlaw was fine with the annual salary, but thought it should be 4 years instead of five.

Then, when someone told him about the fine print with the injury clause, he said he "was Ok with it" (Lackey) and that "it made the most sense" out of any FA players.

His revisionist history is laughable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Trotter what's your "better than WAR" system?

Don't be shy.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Trotter what's your "better than WAR" system? "

I'll be glad to explain it to you since he has shared it with me. 

First, he takes a long term position on a player, moving them into one of two categories: 

ME-LIKEY       - OR -    ME-HATE-HIM

Which category the player goes into initially depends on several (totally subjective) factors, including demographics, whether Trotty initially predicted this player would be acquired (the "I told you so" factor), whether Moonslav likes the player, whether he throws a knuckleball, and so on...

By default, most of the players have at least one perceived strike against them once they don a Red Sox uniform and go into the ME-HATE-HIM cateogory. 

Once placed in the category, "Trotty" then scours whatever stats he can find, preferably in small sample sizes, to support the initial categorization. Some facts have to be ignored but there is usually a wobbly stat out there that can be found to support the initial classification. 

Of course, every now and again, there is such a fail that an avalanche of contradictory stats comes along (Hanley Ramirez, Cameron-over-Ells and so on....). In that case the category of the player can be switched, but only by the new screen name Trotty is using. What Softy once said is no longer tied to Trotter. Then the search for new wobbly facts begins. 

Snake, Trotter told me he is going to publish all this on why-me-likey.com, and I think we all look forward to seeing this kind of sophisticated analysis out in the open.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Does Bill James have anything to do with International Scouting? Does he know whats going on in Cuba, Korea, South America?
    Is there stats on International Stars? Kenny Williams turned the White Sox around by signing every good young Cuban Star. Did he use Bill James on this?

What's your point?   That James and every other analyst and scout should be all things to all people?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Their supervisor of the draft is a numbers guy and he has been great since he took over ( Sawdaye ). I like this move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Trotter what's your "better than WAR" system? "

I'll be glad to explain it to you since he has shared it with me. 

First, he takes a long term position on a player, moving them into one of two categories: 

ME-LIKEY       - OR -    ME-HATE-HIM

Which category the player goes into initially depends on several (totally subjective) factors, including demographics, whether Trotty initially predicted this player would be acquired (the "I told you so" factor), whether Moonslav likes the player, whether he throws a knuckleball, and so on...

By default, most of the players have at least one perceived strike against them once they don a Red Sox uniform and go into the ME-HATE-HIM cateogory. 

Once placed in the category, "Trotty" then scours whatever stats he can find, preferably in small sample sizes, to support the initial categorization. Some facts have to be ignored but there is usually a wobbly stat out there that can be found to support the initial classification. 

Of course, every now and again, there is such a fail that an avalanche of contradictory stats comes along (Hanley Ramirez, Cameron-over-Ells and so on....). In that case the category of the player can be switched, but only by the new screen name Trotty is using. What Softy once said is no longer tied to Trotter. Then the search for new wobbly facts begins. 

Snake, Trotter told me he is going to publish all this on why-me-likey.com, and I think we all look forward to seeing this kind of sophisticated analysis out in the open.

El Oh El

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Reading this, it was almost like my birthday came two weeks early.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Does Bill James have anything to do with International Scouting? Does he know whats going on in Cuba, Korea, South America?
    Is there stats on International Stars? Kenny Williams turned the White Sox around by signing every good young Cuban Star. Did he use Bill James on this?

So Kenny Williams did something else, and this renders Bill James' stat interpretations as useless?

The common misperception is that sabermetrics is replacing traditional scouting, but the reality is they are applied in tandem.

Sections
Shortcuts