Red Sox To Meet With Agent For Wilson And Oswalt-Are you interested in either of them?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Wakefield: 'I have a strong desire to pitch one more year for the Red Sox'-Do you want him back?

Yaz has a strong desire to sit on the bench one year for the Red Sox for a several million.

Wastefield's 2011 beer belly and 5 plus ERA reflected an old man with a strong desire to make millions to drink beer and pad career long individual stats at the expensive his team in a young man's game.

Wastefield has pitifully resorted to campaigning over the Internet.

Cherry has already correctly insulted him to try and get him to become another team's parasite, by saying "if any role at all" in response to Wastefield's begging agent's promise to retire if he gets one more year of millions in welfare payments.

Most Red Sox fans finally have a strong desire to see Wastefied pitch for a girl's softball team.  

Wastefield is like a little kid who keeps promising his mother if she will let him play one more video game then he promises to go to sleep. Of course, he plays another 4 games when Mom comes back to check on him.

Wastefield said he was going to retire after the last welfare contract from InEpstein. Red Sox have paid this sap over 50 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

(Note, author changed thread title, which was Tim Wastefield's tweet about a strong desire to pitch one more year for the Red Sox)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Red Sox To Meet With Agent For Wilson And Oswalt-Are you interested in either of them?

Offer Oswalt 1M plus incentives. Offer Wilson 3 years at base 10. Make only one offer.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Red Sox To Meet With Agent For Wilson And Oswalt-Are you interested in either of them?

No need to apologize, and good thread title change.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you look closer, you'll fine dozens of Wake threads (90% started by a  Wake-obsessed silly clown).

Wilson has been a goos starter for 2 years. Before that, he was a reliever. That could be a good thing, since his arm is not worn out for his age, but it also shows lack of experience as a starter. I'd offer him $30M/3 with incentives and a 4th year at $10M with a $3M buyout. (Basically a $33M/3 deal).

Oswalt has only 55 starts in the past 3 years, and has pitched in larger parks vs lesser offensive opponents, but he still has some very good numbers. He is 34. I'd offer him $10M/2 with incentives.

I doubt either of these offers will be close to what they will get, so to me, neither of these guys should be in Boston next year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

If the Red Sox are as certain as the Team can be that Roy Oswalt's back will hold up, I would like to see Oswalt for 1 Season, maybe with an Team Option for a 2nd Season. We are likely to have DiceK back by mid season, have Aceves in the rotation.  If the Red Sox can re-stregthen the rotation with Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Aceves and Oswalt, Doubront as the 6th starter and spend the rest rebuilding the bullpen around Bard as the Closer, Dan Wheeler, maybe Jenks as a setup man.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Simple.  Yes, if the price is right. 

Unfortunately, the price will not be right; neither player is begging to come to Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Why does this hankwilliams guy continue to post?  while most of us are trying to be realistic and talk about baseball, he is simply being bitter and delusionary and living in the past.  Oswalt is a good gamble for what he may demand (more than 1 yr @ 1 million, btw).  Would not even be interested in CJ Wilson at this point.  Better value options out there....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Oswalt in a 3 year or less deal no way going 5+ years for c.j. wilson though

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Wilson, no.

Oswalt, yes, depending on the contract.

moon's numbers on Oswalt look a little generous, IMO, but that is okay.  He needs to prove he can stay healthy, so the incentives make sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

CJ Wilson is over-rated. He is no Halladay or Sabathia or Lee!!!!! 

I am in someway do not want Oswalt either, but like someone said, offer him like 1 to 2MM plus incentives for ayear only.  And either trade for Garza or Jurijen, or get Jackson too.

Then we can see Beckett, Lester, Bucholtz, Garza/Jurijen/Jackson and Oswalt. 

Stay away from Wakefield.....seriously guys!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

moon's numbers on Oswalt look a little generous

You should see his generous numbers on Adam Dunn. He also advocates paying Wastefield and Varitek 3 or 4 million.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wilson, no.

Oswalt, yes, depending on the contract.

moon's numbers on Oswalt look a little generous, IMO, but that is okay.  He needs to prove he can stay healthy, so the incentives make sense.

Yeah, $10M/2 might be a tad too high. Maybe $8M/2 with more incentives is better, but I bet he gets better than $10M somewhere.

Look what Wang, the starter with just 104 IP over the last 3 years just got:

Chien-Ming Wang rhp
    1 year/$4M (2012)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox To Meet With Agent For Wilson And Oswalt-Are you interested in either of them?:
    [QUOTE]Wilson, no. Oswalt, yes, depending on the contract. moon's numbers on Oswalt look a little generous, IMO, but that is okay.  He needs to prove he can stay healthy, so the incentives make sense. Yeah, $10M/2 might be a tad too high. Maybe $8M/2 with more incentives is better, but I bet he gets better than $10M somewhere. Look what Wang, the starter with just 104 IP over the last 3 years just got: Chien-Ming Wang   rhp 1 year/$4M (2012)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    A few teams would love to have an Oswalt type on there roster. He will get 2 year and I think close to 11 million dollars, Wang did not hit open waters and still got 4 million. However I think between Oswalt and Diasuke you get 35-40 starts meaning you still need another guy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox To Meet With Agent For Wilson And Oswalt-Are you interested in either of them?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox To Meet With Agent For Wilson And Oswalt-Are you interested in either of them? : A few teams would love to have an Oswalt type on there roster. He will get 2 year and I think close to 11 million dollars, Wang did not hit open waters and still got 4 million. However I think between Oswalt and Diasuke you get 35-40 starts meaning you still need another guy.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

I think if we get a good starter for the 4 slot, we may just go with Taz/Douby/Weiland then Dice-K for the 5/6/7 slots. We may possibly add 1 or 2 dirt cheap project or injury reclamation guys just in case.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]CC Sabathia name me a FREE AGENT STARTER, who has changed his franchise. NONE. Carpenter, Holliday, trades.Most are groomed by their own teams. Lincecum, Waimwright, Cain, Price. Anyway shouldn't overvalue Free Agent Starters. Remember the Phillies didn't win it.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Phillies didn't win it all; St. Louis did.  

They did "change their franchise" with a couple FA starter signings. Without these 2 guys, they wouldn't have been able to absorb the loss of Wainwright.

While StL didn't sign any big FA starters, they did sign Lohse (14-8  3.39) for $41M/4 in 2009 and Jake Westbrook (12-9  4.66) for $16.5/2 in 2010. Both were not chump change signings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

don't the sox already have enough bad backs in their rotation?  don't like the risk involved with Oswald even with an incentive base.  I  only say that because i would be very suprised if someone didn't try to give him a crazy contract.  Probably theo.  as far as wilson, another lefty on the staff would be ok.  he has playoff experience but i think the number will be to high for him.   i get the feeling that the sox are going to piece together 4,5,6,7th starters on the cheap and we will be watching people like bedard....etc...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Wouldn't touch Oswalt with a 10 foot pole. I sure hope Cherington isn't a dumpster diver, like Theo was at times. Of course it's ok to try some guys out, hope for a better than expected result, but ya don't do it with EXPENSIVE washed up players. Smarter to do it with cheap kids. How'd that Penny experiment pan out?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

C.J. Wilson 100 million so I bid him farewell, Oswalt only if the price is right.  I think we may nrrd to make a blockbuster trade to solve our pitching problem.  Youk will not be traded if Ortiz does not return.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Wilson, no. Oswalt, yes, depending on the contract. moon's numbers on Oswalt look a little generous, IMO, but that is okay.  He needs to prove he can stay healthy, so the incentives make sense. Yeah, $10M/2 might be a tad too high. Maybe $8M/2 with more incentives is better, but I bet he gets better than $10M somewhere. Look what Wang, the starter with just 104 IP over the last 3 years just got: Chien-Ming Wang   rhp 1 year/$4M (2012)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

True dat. moon.  The FA markets - or should I say, the auctions - can drive prices into silly territories. 

I think of us here on the forum estimating what a FA is worth, and I am reminded of watching Antiques Roadshow on PBS, and how the dealers say, "Oh, you should get $300,000 for this Hudson Valley landscape, but at auction it could go higher."

Somehow, with FAs, it always does.  (See "Crawford, Carl" and "Martinez, Victor.")

Funny how the age of something in the FA auctions can be a detriment instead of an asset, as it would be when bidding on a rug or a vase. (See, "Ortiz, David.")

And there is always the concern about getting the genuine article instead of a fake.

But I digress.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

IMO both should be passed on. Wilson's expectations of $100K, poor post season performances (not that we have to worry about the post season in 2012), the fact that he has only started for two years and finally his lifestyle which I respect 100% would conflict majorly with Beckett's Lone Star Brigade.

Oswalt with his age and injuries say enough for me.

Sections
Shortcuts