Red Sox to name manager tomorrow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

Red Sox to name manager tomorrow

Joel Sherman of the NY Times has tweeted the following:
    "Valentine returns from Japan tomorrow and belief in industry is will tell Valentine/Lamont who is manager tomorrow, as well".

It looks like we will have a manager tomorrow!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow

Good. FA aren't going to come when there's no settled manager. My bet is on V.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Comcast Sports Sean McAdams says he's been told by multiple sources it will not be announced tomorrow, more likely the end of the week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow:
    Comcast Sports Sean McAdams says he's been told by multiple sources it will not be announced tomorrow, more likely the end of the week.
    Posted by J-BAY

Whenever it is j, I wish they'd get it done. We were the laughing stock last Sept., and aren't getting far away from it since.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow : Whenever it is j, I wish they'd get it done. We were the laughing stock last Sept., and aren't getting far away from it since.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Sox didn't hire Francona until around Thanksgiving 2003 Exam. I'd rather they get it right than just get it done. May want to interview Valentine again, before a decision is made.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow : Sox didn't hire Francona until around Thanksgiving 2003 Exam. I'd rather they get it right than just get it done. May want to interview Valentine again, before a decision is made.
    Posted by J-BAY

Valentine again? Yeah, I'd say so. I know you don't like him, but I think he might be worth the risk. Btw, pike tried to use you as leverage tonight--talking about how bad the game threads were (overrun by trolls etc) and that you left in July never to return. Tried to make me the ring leader of all the trolls, typical schtick. I told him you didn't leave in July, it was more early/mid-September, and you did come back that last week. I seem to remember talking to you that last fateful game at Balt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

They won't announce it until Valentine is back from Japan...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

The Sox will hire Genby Valemont any day now

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow : Sox didn't hire Francona until around Thanksgiving 2003 Exam. I'd rather they get it right than just get it done. May want to interview Valentine again, before a decision is made.
    Posted by J-BAY

It was dec 3rd I believe , but it only took 5 weeks not 8+..With that said, I agree that I want them to get the right guy..My problem here is that if we see lamont, then Cherington got his guy and if Bobby V gets it, then Lucchino got his man...
    We all know Cherington wanted Svuem then Lamont, so if BV gets the gig we all will know who the real GM is...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow : Valentine again? Yeah, I'd say so. I know you don't like him, but I think he might be worth the risk. Btw, pike tried to use you as leverage tonight--talking about how bad the game threads were (overrun by trolls etc) and that you left in July never to return. Tried to make me the ring leader of all the trolls, typical schtick. I told him you didn't leave in July, it was more early/mid-September, and you did come back that last week. I seem to remember talking to you that last fateful game at Balt.
    Posted by TheExaminer

the game threads were overrun by perceived trolls, which is just about everyone in Pikes book. In mine, it was a good group by in large, you amoung them.  I did take a break in September for a handful of games, for various reasons, but you're right I did return and was there from opening day until the last. BTW, who appointed you ring leader?Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Unless a Managerial candidate has already been selected, it does not appear one will be named Tuesday 29 November, seems like the end of the workweek at the earliest.  The principal owner was in England attending to soccer and 1 of the candidates has been in Japan. I know the principal owner said that Larry runs the Red Sox and we know communications by air, cellphone, i-phone and computer is much simpler than in the past, however, the real reason has to be that the ownership still has not made a collective decision. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I never liked Valentine in the past, he is a show-boater.   But he is our man.  He will do a great job here.  And he will straighten things out.  

Another bonus is he is worshipped in Japan ... star players over there would love to play for him.   He is great with the Japanese players, Dice-K will have a chance to resurrect (or build) his career. 

I say welcome Bobby V ... and lets get on with fixing the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Lucchino may have a strategy.    The winter meeting start next Monday in Dallas and Lucchino will let Cherington make the announcement on Saturday to show he he actually has [some] authority.
    By doing little at the meetings, the managerial move takes center stage and deflects from player moves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Enough games and manipulation of the spin.  More important to have a new Manager in place and accomplish something at the meetings. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Enough games and manipulation of the spin.  More important to have a new Manager in place and accomplish something at the meetings. 
    Posted by rgmfick

If the goal is to have manager in place in order for best functionality at winter meetings, what difference does it make if they announce tomorrow or end of week?  It is only us rabid fans that have an issue with all of this, because we want ACTION, NOW!!!  But, the reality is that it is much better for the club to get it right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Was V. on a scouting mission or sent to talk with Dice K and Yarvish?

It would seem the delay of the official word is for him to be here.

It is amazing to me that this has been kept under wraps-almost like Ben is trying to detect if there are moles that need to be dismissed as they head to signing FA and trades. I'm anxious to see how the naming of a manager and the Winter moves work out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The field manager is not a big part of winter meetings and decision making by the GM. I don't see why so many here are in a big hurry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Hey guys, I think the FO might be waiting to see if Brad Mills is fired now that both the VP of baseball Ops and GM of the Astros have been fired.

They know everything they need to know about Lamont and Valentine, so this is screaming that they're targeting someone else still. If something happens with they're new target they will then move quickly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hey guys, I think the FO might be waiting to see if Brad Mills is fired now that both the VP of baseball Ops and GM of the Astros have been fired. They know everything they need to know about Lamont and Valentine, so this is screaming that they're targeting someone else still. If something happens with they're new target they will then move quickly.
    Posted by Soxdog67

Interesting thought Soxdog.  I would agree if not for the whole Bobby-V-in-japan thing.  They could be foot shuffling whilst waiting for any potential option to emerge (Mills), or they could just be waiting on Bobby to return and get settled to announce his hiring.  I guess I just can't believe that Lamont is a serious candidate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow : If the goal is to have manager in place in order for best functionality at winter meetings, what difference does it make if they announce tomorrow or end of week?  It is only us rabid fans that have an issue with all of this, because we want ACTION, NOW!!!  But, the reality is that it is much better for the club to get it right.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Get what right? These guys have vetted and re-vetted and it's not 8 weeks is more like 12 since ownership must have had some kind of inkling that they were going to need a new GM and manager for 2012.
    This is just insane. You've got Pete and Re-Pete. Pick one already!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

any possibility ..Valentine manager ...Lamont bench coach?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox to name manager tomorrow : Get what right? These guys have vetted and re-vetted and it's not 8 weeks is more like 12 since ownership must have had some kind of inkling that they were going to need a new GM and manager for 2012. This is just insane. You've got Pete and Re-Pete. Pick one already!
    Posted by Alibiike

The only thing I can imagine is either Soxdog's theory that they are just treading water til a Brad Mills or someone magically appears to save them from the Pete and Re-pete scenario, or, they just want to wait for Bobby V's return from Japan to make the announcement.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

any possibility ..Valentine manager ...Lamont bench coach?
    Posted by sday4x4

Hard to imagine.  The Manager/bench coach scenarios that have come up were all in the line of thinking that goes;  manager is only short-term solution, so bench coach is being groomed to take over.

Since Gene Lamont actually passed away in 1992 and is being kept from decomposition with a ghastly formula of formeldahyde, gin and coca leaves, it is hard to believe he would be in any shape to manage in a couple years.  Perhaps if they can find a Haitian witch doctore to zombify him?  i'm not sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

The field manager is not a big part of winter meetings and decision making by the GM. I don't see why so many here are in a big hurry.
    Posted by moonslav59

Our impatience might stem from the 2004/2007 foundation with Francona AND Theo was dismantled yet Sox interminably delay to  find a manager, Theo has NOT looked back and is (for instance) courting Albert Pujols...

I thimk that covers it, and FAs consider manager creds always...

Sections
Shortcuts