Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

Please disregard.There's already a thread started about the trade by CtRedSoxfanHugh.

Carry on ........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

Another head scratcher. Mortensen seems to have re-invented himself as a starter. Doing very well at Pawtucket. Berry is a speedy outfielder who cannot hit. His only use might be as a pinch runner when rosters expand. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Another head scratcher. Mortensen seems to have re-invented himself as a starter. Doing very well at Pawtucket. Berry is a speedy outfielder who cannot hit. His only use might be as a pinch runner when rosters expand. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

How is this a head scratcher?  What's more valuable?  A guy who can pinch run, steal a base and give you some roster flexibility during a pennant race or a guy who currently ranks somewhere around 12th on the rotation depth chart?  They will have to create a spot on the 40 man for Berry when rosters expand, since Mortensen pitched his way off of it a while ago, but I don't see how this doesn't make sense. By the way what was "another" head scratcher?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Please disregard.There's already a thread started about the trade by CtRedSoxfanHugh.

Carry on ........

True, but my thread title is a little misleading and uninformative. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

He was being stretched out, likely to increase his trade value.  I also wouldn't say that 5 good starts in triple A is reinventing yourself.  He's failed as a starter before, and other teams aren't dumb, they likely view him as a swing man or a long reliever at best. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Seemed like Mortensen was pitching well as a starter at AAA so . . . I don't get it either.  I'd rather have a starting pitcher with upside than a one-dimensional player, a base stealer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Seemed like Mortensen was pitching well as a starter at AAA so . . . I don't get it either.  I'd rather have a starting pitcher with upside than a one-dimensional player, a base stealer.

Mortensen cleared waivers less than two months ago.  While he was a more than serviceable reliever for a good portion of his time in Boston, I don't think I'd use the word "upside" with him.  If he ever found his way into the Sox rotation, the Sox would have very likely shattered the single season record for injuries to available starting pitchers.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Reminds me of Brett Lillibridge, cannot hit a lick and a .193 batting average is not exactly lighting up the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Reminds me of Brett Lillibridge, cannot hit a lick and a .193 batting average is not exactly lighting up the league.

Prettttttty sure he wasn't brought here to "hit."  He's a guy who can pinch run and steal a base, who may or may not give them a little roster flexibility after September 1st.  Nothing more/nothing less.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You can make the argument that Mortensen holds more value than Berry "all things considered", and I would even agree with you.

But Mortensen holds no place nor any future on this team.  Berry provides a speedy 4th outfielder, something the team lacks.

This is not a big sexy move, but it adds value to this season and takes zero away from the future. So to the BOSTON RED SOX Berry is more valuable.  Makes sense for both teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

You can make the argument that Mortensen holds more value than Berry "all things considered", and I would even agree with you.

But Mortensen holds no place nor any future on this team.  Berry provides a speedy 4th outfielder, something the team lacks.

This is not a big sexy move, but it adds value to this season and takes zero away from the future. So to the BOSTON RED SOX Berry is more valuable.  Makes sense for both teams.

The Red Sox won't keep a "speedy 4th outfielder" on the roster beyond this September if he can't hit a lick. He was batting .190 in AAA this year. He provides nothing from April 1 through August 31st.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I disagree, look at Morts stats last year... pretty darn good. This yeah though? just the opposite. It just goes to show you how inconsistent most relivers are from year to year. That said, Mort definitely could have been an option for the BP in 2014, he was pitching better recently (albeit in a starters role) but there also was no guarentee that he would pitch as good as he did in 2012.. Even if you earmarked a BP spot for him next season it just as easily can be filled with other guys from the farm like Britton or Workman.

at the end of the day, we needed another speedster and Mortenson was definitely expendable.

I'm good with this trade so far. Since we have to drop someone else to make room for this guy it really turns into Mortenson + X for Quintin Berry

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wowie! Wow!

Another powerless lefty hitting OF for the Sox!!!!!

Is Theo back?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Red Sox won't keep a "speedy 4th outfielder" on the roster beyond this September if he can't hit a lick. He was batting .190 in AAA this year. He provides nothing from April 1 through August 31st.

[/QUOTE]

don't need or want him to. Just need a bench guy with wheels. He fits the bill.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I can remember a similar,speedy,light hitting,fourth outfielder providing some value to the team in 2004.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

Wowie! Wow!

Another powerless lefty hitting OF for the Sox!!!!!

Is Theo back?

don't read too much into it. this isn't a deal that is going to change the balance of power but it is a decent move. Give up a guy who isn't a part of the sox future plans for another guy who isn't a part of the teams future plans but can provide you immediate help off the bench. It's hard not to like unless you are part of the Mortenson Fan club

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are clearly missing the point of this trade.  They didn't bring this guy in as an insurance policy if Ellsbury leaves as a free agent.  He is a pinch runner/base stealer depth option for September.  By the way, he hit .258 in 291 at bats for the Detroit Tigers last year and was a perfect 21 for 21 stealing bases.  They currently don't have a guy like that in Pawtucket...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes he won't, but he might help them win one game.  Which is more than Clayton ever will if they don't feel like they have a spot for him on the roster.  The sox will have about 12 guys in front of him on the 40 but NO ONE to pinch run with good speed.  It's all about getting to the playoffs and the difference between the division and a wild card is pretty big

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

I disagree, look at Morts stats last year... pretty darn good. This yeah though? just the opposite. It just goes to show you how inconsistent most relivers are from year to year. That said, Mort definitely could have been an option for the BP in 2014, he was pitching better recently (albeit in a starters role) but there also was no guarentee that he would pitch as good as he did in 2012.. Even if you earmarked a BP spot for him next season it just as easily can be filled with other guys from the farm like Britton or Workman.

at the end of the day, we needed another speedster and Mortenson was definitely expendable.

I'm good with this trade so far. Since we have to drop someone else to make room for this guy it really turns into Mortenson + X for Quintin Berry

Lol wait I don't understand, do you agree with me or not.  I agree that relievers are year in and out type players, and with all the guys that have to come onto the 40 and the FA this year guys like clay are a dime a dozen.

Also your X player likely would have to be dropped if Mortensen was to be recalled, unless of course we assume both Mortensen and Berry are minor league depth.  Which this move may ultimately be.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Mortensen has looked much better as a starter than he did as a reliever. The old adage is that you cannot have too much pitching. Berry may or may not ever steal an important base. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Mortensen has looked much better as a starter than he did as a reliever. The old adage is that you cannot have too much pitching. Berry may or may not ever steal an important base. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

In triple A in 5 starts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Mortensen had his moments in a Sox uni.  But, not exactly a keeper at this point.  And while the totality of Berry is meaningless, the fact that they are making moves for playoff-strategy baserunning is pretty darn exciting.  Some of you fine folks talking about Berry's hitting;  I am willing to bet that, should we find ourselves watching the Sox in October, there is going to be a moment or handful of moments you are going to be absolutely thrilled to have Quentin Berry on the roster.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Mortensen had his moments in a Sox uni.  But, not exactly a keeper at this point.  And while the totality of Berry is meaningless, the fact that they are making moves for playoff-strategy baserunning is pretty darn exciting.  Some of you fine folks talking about Berry's hitting;  I am willing to bet that, should we find ourselves watching the Sox in October, there is going to be a moment or handful of moments you are going to be absolutely thrilled to have Quentin Berry on the roster.

It would be surprising if he made the post season roster. 

Sections
Shortcuts