Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Mortensen had his moments in a Sox uni.  But, not exactly a keeper at this point.  And while the totality of Berry is meaningless, the fact that they are making moves for playoff-strategy baserunning is pretty darn exciting.  Some of you fine folks talking about Berry's hitting;  I am willing to bet that, should we find ourselves watching the Sox in October, there is going to be a moment or handful of moments you are going to be absolutely thrilled to have Quentin Berry on the roster.

It would be surprising if he made the post season roster. 

Oh, he will make the post-season roster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Mortensen had his moments in a Sox uni.  But, not exactly a keeper at this point.  And while the totality of Berry is meaningless, the fact that they are making moves for playoff-strategy baserunning is pretty darn exciting.  Some of you fine folks talking about Berry's hitting;  I am willing to bet that, should we find ourselves watching the Sox in October, there is going to be a moment or handful of moments you are going to be absolutely thrilled to have Quentin Berry on the roster.

I don't know about that. If we went with ten pitchers, it would allow for the addition of two position players.  You have Bradley, Snyder , Holt and Lavarnway.  Berry would have to beat out three of them. If we went with eleven pitchers, he would have to beat out all of them. We will always remember Dave Roberts , but how often does a pinch runner make the difference?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't think he makes the roster either - this may be more about Pawtucket than Boston.  Giving them somebody to take the field for their post-season once the rosters expand, and the Sox have called up JBJ.

Mortensen would have been gone at the end of the year no matter what - somebody would have offered him an MLB contract, and we would have nothing.  Berry has minor-league options.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

This is the equivelant of having Jacoby Ellsbury on the bench to pinch run. That WILL come in handy before the season is over. We have a ton of bad base runners. We have seen the importance of pinch running in the last few weeks alone. I think its more then likely he even makes the playoff roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I don't think he makes the roster either - this may be more about Pawtucket than Boston.  Giving them somebody to take the field for their post-season once the rosters expand, and the Sox have called up JBJ.

Mortensen would have been gone at the end of the year no matter what - somebody would have offered him an MLB contract, and we would have nothing.  Berry has minor-league options.

I'd be shocked if Berry didn't make the post season roster. Even if they went with 11 pitchers (absolute max), they would be able to go with 14 position players.  There's no way they take 3 catchers, so that leaves 12 spots for infielders/outfielders.  Berry will have a lot more value than the Brock Holts of the world.  This move was all about the stretch run and playoffs.  There's also a reason they made the move now, so he will actually be eligible for the post season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I'd be shocked if Berry didn't make the post season roster. Even if they went with 11 pitchers (absolute max), they would be able go with 14 position players.  There's no way they take 3 catchers, so that leaves 12 spots for infielders/outfielders.  He will have a lot more value than the Brock Holts of the world.  This move was all a out the stretch run and playoffs.  There's also a reason they made the move now, so he will actually be eligible for the post season. 

If there's an extra spot for a position player, wouldn't you rather have a guy like Bradley?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I'd be shocked if Berry didn't make the post season roster. Even if they went with 11 pitchers (absolute max), they would be able go with 14 position players.  There's no way they take 3 catchers, so that leaves 12 spots for infielders/outfielders.  He will have a lot more value than the Brock Holts of the world.  This move was all a out the stretch run and playoffs.  There's also a reason they made the move now, so he will actually be eligible for the post season. 

Holt isn't on the current 25-man roster, and they aren't going to carry six outfielders.  So whose spot do you give him?  Carp?  Gomes?  

Carp could be one of the 7 infielders, or infield/outfield in an AL Playoff series, but, barring injury, Carp wouldn't make a World Series roster with Ortiz playing some first.  Gomes obviously makes it as one of the 5 outfielders, with Carp, Middlebrooks, Drew, Pedroia, Ortiz, Boegarts & Napoli being the 7 infielders. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I can remember a similar,speedy,light hitting,fourth outfielder providing some value to the team in 2004.

^^THIS^^

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Another head scratcher. Mortensen seems to have re-invented himself as a starter. Doing very well at Pawtucket. Berry is a speedy outfielder who cannot hit. His only use might be as a pinch runner when rosters expand. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

CIRCA David Roberts...........  As DAD would say.......  "SON, and the rest is history"  !!!

I am with you on the Dave Roberts comparision. In the playoffs you won't need as deep a bench or bullpen and having a base stealer available could be huge.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I'd be shocked if Berry didn't make the post season roster. Even if they went with 11 pitchers (absolute max), they would be able to go with 14 position players.  There's no way they take 3 catchers, so that leaves 12 spots for infielders/outfielders.  Berry will have a lot more value than the Brock Holts of the world.  This move was all about the stretch run and playoffs.  There's also a reason they made the move now, so he will actually be eligible for the post season. 

Well put I agree 100%

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I understand the desire for a base-stealer, but when you've got a guy with a .406 OBP in the minors playing incredible defense, he's got to be more valuable to you in the post-season.  Isn't having Bradley in LF as a defensive replacement for Nava or Gomes more important than a potential stolen base?  And with Berry, you're talking about a one and done - it's fine to put him on the base paths, but don't let him come back up to the plate.  

Even if you have your heart set on a base-stealer, why not bring up Hazelbaker, who at least has a shot at hitting the ball if he stays in the game?  Berry's an automatic out at the plate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't know about that. If we went with ten pitchers, it would allow for the addition of two position players.  You have Bradley, Snyder , Holt and Lavarnway.  Berry would have to beat out three of them. If we went with eleven pitchers, he would have to beat out all of them. We will always remember Dave Roberts , but how often does a pinch runner make the difference?

Well, true:  If Bradley makes the post-season roster, then Berry is a redundancy.  Bradley doesn't have world class wheels, but would suffice as a pinch runner.

I know that a Roberts moment is not common.  But, having that weapon in the post-season should not be underestimated.  Even as a threat, it can be a difference maker late game playoff time.  The pressure on pitchers at the back end of a playoff game is pretty intense.  Add a jitterbug dancing around on first base, its tough to focus.  

OK, Berry doesn't make roster if Bradley is on.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I understand the desire for a base-stealer, but when you've got a guy with a .406 OBP in the minors playing incredible defense, he's got to be more valuable to you in the post-season.  Isn't having Bradley in LF as a defensive replacement for Nava or Gomes more important than a potential stolen base?  And with Berry, you're talking about a one and done - it's fine to put him on the base paths, but don't let him come back up to the plate.  

Even if you have your heart set on a base-stealer, why not bring up Hazelbaker, who at least has a shot at hitting the ball if he stays in the game?  Berry's an automatic out at the plate.

Well that's probably the thing.  Berry can also play center field, and I believe he's a good fielder as well.  Bradely obviously adds plus defense but Berry hands down is the better base runner, or at least the better base stealer.  The Sox likely feel that Berry might add more value with that in the short term.  Long term JBJ is the guy, he will more than likley be a starter next year.  But this year the probably view Berry more valuable in the short run.

Although I suspect we will see Bradely up here very soon as well, they likely want someone else who can back up center while Bradely plays everyday in the playoffs down in Pawtucket. 

Now if someone gets injured and they need and everyday centerfielder, then I belive JBJ gets the call. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Berry goes on the 40 man, then I suspect the add Wilson the the 60 day DL.  

Of course they may have been saving that move for when Buchh comes back, but i think they will deal with that problem when the time comes. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Berry is a great defensive outfielder who actually has post season experience, since he played in 11 post season games for the Tigers last year.  He definitely has more value on a post season roster than JBJ at this point.  Again, he's not here to hit.  The Dave Roberts comparison is perfect.  During the regular season, I see your point, but again, Berry was brought here as a stretch run/post season weapon, not a Pawtucket backup.  Hazelbaker hasn't played a game in the Majors yet.  Berry is certainly a better option than he is.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hazel Baker has a poor hit tool, bad zone judgment and poor pitch recognition.  He's got speed, but think of his defense as a Jacoby Ellsbury lite.  His speed makes up for his poor judgment and routes to fly balls, but he's not as polished as Ellsbury.

He does have power though and the ability to attack mistake pitches, but for all we know his .701 triple A OPS probably won't play as high as a .684 Berry OPS at the MLB level. 

Considering that neither are likely to be asked to hit, I'll go with Berry.  If someone goes down with an Inury and they need another everyday outfielder, they won't slide this guy in, then they will call up Bradley. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Same thing could have been said about Mortenson...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't see your point.  The Sox still have Bradley and Hazelbaker and csn still call them up too (although Hazelbaker needs to be added to the 40 man).

But who is potentially more useful in the next four weeks - Berry or Mortenson?  And why?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I don't see your point.  The Sox still have Bradley and Hazelbaker and csn still call them up too (although Hazelbaker needs to be added to the 40 man).

But who is potentially more useful in the next four weeks - Berry or Mortenson?  And why?

I'd argue Berry. The Sox have a lot of depth in the pen, a TON of depth.  Yes the Sox have a huge hole at the top of the pen, But Mortensen is not the guy to pitch the 8th or 9th, rather he's a 5th 6th inning guy and we have a ton of those, with plenty of options in Pawtucket.  But we don't really have anyone who can run the bases, Yes Bradely can play good defense but Berry adds the value of a defensive back up who can play center and has GREAT speed to pinch run.

One could argue that HazelBaker could be that guy, I personally do not like him and I'm scared of his defense.  I also would argue that the fact that the Sox made this trade is a tell tale sign that they have no faith in a guy like HazleBaker making contributions to this team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another head scratcher. Mortensen seems to have re-invented himself as a starter. Doing very well at Pawtucket. Berry is a speedy outfielder who cannot hit. His only use might be as a pinch runner when rosters expand. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

CIRCA David Roberts...........  As DAD would say.......  "SON, and the rest is history"  !!!

My first thought also. Even though Roberts hit .253 for the R.S. and .256 for the Dodgers on 2004. They could be trying to find that magic, with another speedster on the bases once again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Berry is a great defensive outfielder who actually has post season experience, since he played in 11 post season games for the Tigers last year.  He definitely has more value on a post season roster than JBJ at this point.  Again, he's not here to hit.  The Dave Roberts comparison is perfect.  During the regular season, I see your point, but again, Berry was brought here as a stretch run/post season weapon, not a Pawtucket backup.  Hazelbaker hasn't played a game in the Majors yet.  Berry is certainly a better option than he is.  

If Berry was a great defensive outfielder, I'd agree, but he's not.  Even average is a stretch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

From what I saw of Mortensen in relief this year , I would say it is a good deal. What concerns me is how much he has improved in a starting role at Pawtucket lately. He has pitched better than our more highly rated prospects. He could have a future as a starter , if not this year then maybe next.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sections
Shortcuts