Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

From what I saw of Mortensen in relief this year , I would say it is a good deal. What concerns me is how much he has improved in a starting role at Pawtucket lately. He has pitched better than our more highly rated prospects. He could have a future as a starter , if not this year then maybe next.

Stabbed by Foulke.

He certainly does not have a future as a starter for the Boston redsox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

[QUOTE]

From what I saw of Mortensen in relief this year , I would say it is a good deal. What concerns me is how much he has improved in a starting role at Pawtucket lately. He has pitched better than our more highly rated prospects. He could have a future as a starter , if not this year then maybe next.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Not now.  But how can you say that before ?  He was doing very well as a starter in Pawtucket. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to slomag's comment:

[QUOTE]

I understand the desire for a base-stealer, but when you've got a guy with a .406 OBP in the minors playing incredible defense, he's got to be more valuable to you in the post-season.  Isn't having Bradley in LF as a defensive replacement for Nava or Gomes more important than a potential stolen base?  And with Berry, you're talking about a one and done - it's fine to put him on the base paths, but don't let him come back up to the plate.  

Even if you have your heart set on a base-stealer, why not bring up Hazelbaker, who at least has a shot at hitting the ball if he stays in the game?  Berry's an automatic out at the plate.

Berry is a great defensive outfielder who actually has post season experience, since he played in 11 post season games for the Tigers last year.  He definitely has more value on a post season roster than JBJ at this point.  Again, he's not here to hit.  The Dave Roberts comparison is perfect.  During the regular season, I see your point, but again, Berry was brought here as a stretch run/post season weapon, not a Pawtucket backup.  Hazelbaker hasn't played a game in the Majors yet.  Berry is certainly a better option than he is.  

[/QUOTE]

If Berry was a great defensive outfielder, I'd agree, but he's not.  Even average is a stretch.

[/QUOTE]

Based on what? Berry was a human highlight film in the outfield for Detroit last year, but again, none of that matters.  He is an exceptional base runner, which is why he was brought here.  As many have mentioned, he is here to be a weapon on the bases for the stretch run and hopefully through the playoffs.  I think your missing the point of this acquisition, so I guess we'll see how it unfolds. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Not now.  But how can you say that before ?  He was doing very well as a starter in Pawtucket. 

[/QUOTE]

He had little chance of sticking with the organization beyond this year.  He was expendable.

Is there any move the team makes you won't go out of your way to find fault with?  The Sox have a team of baseball professionals and scouts and coaches with a deep understanding of the game, and have read, written and have access to numerous studies that detail how important defense is, or bunting etc.  not to mention a litany of stats none of us have ever heard of, and far, far greater understanding of the ones we have. 

Yet somehow, you find every move incorrect, armed only with batting averages and 5 minor league starts..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mortensen was going to be a casualty of the rule 5 add-on players this winter anyways.

I liked Mortensen, but we have too many better and younger arms beating down the door.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He had little chance of sticking with the organization beyond this year.  He was expendable.

Is there any move the team makes you won't go out of your way to find fault with?  The Sox have a team of baseball professionals and scouts and coaches with a deep understanding of the game, and have read, written and have access to numerous studies that detail how important defense is, or bunting etc.  not to mention a litany of stats none of us have ever heard of, and far, far greater understanding of the ones we have. 

Yet somehow, you find every move incorrect, armed only with batting averages and 5 minor league starts..

[/QUOTE]

The Sox have made some good deals and some bad ones. Saying that they have baseball professionals, scouts and coaches with a deep understanding of the game , etc. , is just meaningless rhetoric. The Royals, and every other team , have the same thing. We all know that.  I happen to think that Mortensen has a better chance to be a useful starting pitcher than Berry does of being the next Dave Roberts. Five very good AAA starts is not insignificant. The funny thing is , when I was critical of Mortensen's performance as a reliever this year, some disagreed and told me how useful he was. Now , when he is actually showing some potential, he is " expendable."  What happened to the idea that you can never have enough pitching ?  Saying that I go out of my way to find fault with every move is nonsense. I'll end this the way I started , the Sox have made some good deals and some bad ones. Is that arguable ? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Nothing against Mortenson, but if the Sox have not used him all year to this point with as many call-ups as they have made he clearly is not in their vision.

This trade is a no brainer at this point in the 2013 season and will have no effect on the 2014 season either.

The Red Sox are taking a chance that Berry can come off the bench a few times in September and make some sort of contribution with his speed.  If he has made some impact in whatever September opportunities he gets, he will get considered for the post season games.

He was traded for to help make sure that there is a post season opportunity.

Blazing speed is one thing that the Sox clearly do not have on the major league roster at this time.  Mortenson certainly does not have such speed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Nothing against Mortenson, but if the Sox have not used him all year to this point with as many call-ups as they have made he clearly is not in their vision.

This trade is a no brainer at this point in the 2013 season and will have no effect on the 2014 season either.

The Red Sox are taking a chance that Berry can come off the bench a few times in September and make some sort of contribution with his speed.  If he has made some impact in whatever September opportunities he gets, he will get considered for the post season games.

Blazing speed is one thing that the Sox clearly do not have on the major league roster at this time.  Mortenson certainly does not have such speed.

Mortensen was ineffective in the bullpen this year. He was DFA'd, and cleared waivers. Outrighted to Pawtucket, where he was converted to starter. I don't know what he is doing differently, but he has pitched very well. Better than some of the highly rated prospects.  He may not have been in the Sox plans, but I think he should have been. You should be able to pick up a role player like Berry without giving up a guy who just might be a good starting pitcher. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Mortensen was ineffective in the bullpen this year. He was DFA'd, and cleared waivers. Outrighted to Pawtucket, where he was converted to starter. I don't know what he is doing differently, but he has pitched very well. Better than some of the highly rated prospects.  He may not have been in the Sox plans, but I think he should have been. You should be able to pick up a role player like Berry without giving up a guy who just might be a good starting pitcher. 

Barring colossal injuries, there was no way Mortensen was cracking the Sox rotation this year, and certainly not next year.  Maybe his agent told the Sox that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else, as he clearly wasn't going to get an opportunity to start here.  That's exactly what happened with David Murphy.

Everyone up and down the Sox organization loved Murphy, but he was blocked from Boston.  Ramirez & Drew were signed long term, Ells was under team control for 6 more years and they had Crisp signed as well.  They traded him so he would get an opportunity somewhere else, because they liked the kid and thought he deserved an opportunity.  There's a lot more to trades than stats on the back of a baseball card sometimes, so a trade that may be a "head scratcher" to you, may make perfect sense to the 30 or 40 people who are paid well to have input on these decisions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox have made some good deals and some bad ones. Saying that they have baseball professionals, scouts and coaches with a deep understanding of the game , etc. , is just meaningless rhetoric. The Royals, and every other team , have the same thing. We all know that.  I happen to think that Mortensen has a better chance to be a useful starting pitcher than Berry does of being the next Dave Roberts. Five very good AAA starts is not insignificant. The funny thing is , when I was critical of Mortensen's performance as a reliever this year, some disagreed and told me how useful he was. Now , when he is actually showing some potential, he is " expendable."  What happened to the idea that you can never have enough pitching ?  Saying that I go out of my way to find fault with every move is nonsense. I'll end this the way I started , the Sox have made some good deals and some bad ones. Is that arguable ? 

[/QUOTE

Five good starts at AAA is very insignificant. I'm with notin on this one, you're complaining about the trade of a player whose about 17th on the depth chart for starters in the red sox organization, if he's even up that high.  This thread probably shouldn't have been a page let alone 3 but you just keep on whining about the most useless garbage you can think of. Go ahead map out mortenson as being a starter on your team. I hope you also plan on looking like the devil rays in the 90s because that team would be pretty awful. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox have made some good deals and some bad ones. Saying that they have baseball professionals, scouts and coaches with a deep understanding of the game , etc. , is just meaningless rhetoric. The Royals, and every other team , have the same thing. We all know that.  I happen to think that Mortensen has a better chance to be a useful starting pitcher than Berry does of being the next Dave Roberts. Five very good AAA starts is not insignificant.The funny thing is , when I was critical of Mortensen's performance as a reliever this year, some disagreed and told me how useful he was. Now , when he is actually showing some potential, he is " expendable."  What happened to the idea that you can never have enough pitching ?  Saying that I go out of my way to find fault with every move is nonsense. I'll end this the way I started , the Sox have made some good deals and some bad ones. Is that arguable ? 

[/QUOTE

Five good starts at AAA is very insignificant. I'm with notin on this one, you're complaining about the trade of a player whose about 17th on the depth chart for starters in the red sox organization, if he's even up that high.  This thread probably shouldn't have been a page let alone 3 but you just keep on whining about the most useless garbage you can think of. Go ahead map out mortenson as being a starter on your team. I hope you also plan on looking like the devil rays in the 90s because that team would be pretty awful. 

[/QUOTE]

Saying that five good starts at AAA is very insignificant makes no sense at all.  Pitching like that is what gets a guy noticed. Calling a legitimate , if differing opinion , " whining " is unoriginal, immature and uncalled for. Does nothing to promote your view. Are you the arbiter of what is worth commenting on , and what is " useless garbage ?" Are you the judge of how long a thread should be ?  Why not try to discuss things reasonably?  And , if you think a thread is too long already, don't add to it just to throw in terms like " whining " and " useless garbage."  I did not start this thread, but myself and others took the time to give their ideas and their opinions.  That is how it is supposed to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

So what this boils down to is Marco Scut. For Quintin Berry and cash relief.... can't say i like that one bit from a large market team.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

So what this boils down to is Marco Scut. For Quintin Berry and cash relief.... can't say i like that one bit from a large market team.  

Marco Scutaro wanted an opportunity to play and I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to beat out Pedroia.  Scutaro was also physically unable to be a full time SS when the Sox moved him, so he was pretty much useless to the Sox.  Mortensen gave the Sox some quality innings while he was here, so not sure how that can be considered a bad trade.  That's not even considering the salary relief they needed to sign a Cody Ross last year without going over the luxury tax limit.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Barring colossal injuries, there was no way Mortensen was cracking the Sox rotation this year, and certainly not next year.  Maybe his agent told the Sox that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else, as he clearly wasn't going to get an opportunity to start here.  That's exactly what happened with David Murphy.

Everyone up and down the Sox organization loved Murphy, but he was blocked from Boston.  Ramirez & Drew were signed long term, Ells was under team control for 6 more years and they had Crisp signed as well.  They traded him so he would get an opportunity somewhere else, because they liked the kid and thought he deserved an opportunity.  There's a lot more to trades than stats on the back of a baseball card sometimes, so a trade that may be a "head scratcher" to you, may make perfect sense to the 30 or 40 people who are paid well to have input on these decisions.

And to add to the "other reasons" beyond the numbers, this deal clears a spot in the Pawtucket rotation for Barnes...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Or we could have kept Scutaro for one more year, and let him depart via free agency with not even Berry to show for it...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

What either of these players could do for the sox next year is insignificant compared to what Berry can do for them in a pennant race during september.  I agree that the chance of Mortensen being useful next year is better than any use for a guy like Berry on a 25 man roster, but he's a perfect fit for a 40 man roster.  Plenty of room for someone who is very good at one thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Another head scratcher. Mortensen seems to have re-invented himself as a starter. Doing very well at Pawtucket. Berry is a speedy outfielder who cannot hit. His only use might be as a pinch runner when rosters expand. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Stop scratching your itch, Galehouse.  Could have used Berry to pinchrun for Nava tonight to try to steal second in the ninth.  He'd be there if the rosters had already expanded.  

They'll be other occasions for Berry come September.  Could make the difference in a tight game.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Dave Roberts.

True, but Roberts was a legitimate 4th outfielder who could do a lot more than steal bases.  Of course, with all starters healthy in the post-season, all that mattered was whether he could steal one freakin' base.  

The most important and dramatic stolen base in baseball history.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/berryqu01.shtml

Nothing wrong with his contributions to the Tigers in 2012.... there about 2,000 pitchers that we have long since forgotten, you can ad Morty to the list.

And yes we can add Berry after this season to that eternal list of the players such as Tom Poquette, Frank Duffy, and Mandy Romero habitate.

Just looked up his stats.  Nothing special except for the key stat(s): 21 stolen bases in 94 games; 0 caught stealing!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

0-3 tonight for Pawsox. 1k.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

0-3 tonight for Pawsox. 1k.

He was not acquired for his bat.  It'll be somebody's else job to get on base, 

and his job to score.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I have absolutely not problem with this trade.  The Sox are gearing up for the PS and getting what they need to make a run this year.  They traded away a valuable player to get a solid SP and now they've traded away a prospect to get a base-stealer, both trades made to make the team a better playoff team in 2013. 

If they're "going to go for it" they're doing it in the right way.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Sections
Shortcuts