Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen for Quintin Berry

The idea of adding a possible pinch runner for the stretch and possibly the post season makes sense. I just think that Mortensen was too much to give up. Mortensen has been pitching very well.  Maybe that won't last. Maybe it will. A guy like Berry should come cheaper.  I think we overpaid for someone who may or may not be of any use. 

Stabbed by Foulke

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think everybody's forgetting why we picked up Dave Roberts in 2004.  It wasn't to steal a base at a crucial time in a post-season game - it was because our OF defense was horrible.  We had Manny, Damon, Trot Nixon with a bad back; Kevin Millar from time to time.  And the best option we had at AAA was Adam Hyzdu.  Roberts was brought in for defense.  He played in 38 games for the Sox in 2004, half of them as defensive replacements.  Bradley is much more valuable to this team over the next 30-60 days than Quntin Berry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The idea of adding a possible pinch runner for the stretch and possibly the post season makes sense. I just think that Mortensen was too much to give up. Mortensen has been pitching very well.  Maybe that won't last. Maybe it will. A guy like Berry should come cheaper.  I think we overpaid for someone who may or may not be of any use. 

Stabbed by Foulke

If Mortensen were pitching very well at the major league level, I'd agree with you.

But, there's nothing to show that those 5 good starts would tranlate to the major league club.

A 1.58 WHIP, with the Sox, doesn't get it done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Mortensen pitched well enough for somebody to make somebody's roster.  If we hadn't traded him, we would have lost him this off-season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I think everybody's forgetting why we picked up Dave Roberts in 2004.  It wasn't to steal a base at a crucial time in a post-season game - it was because our OF defense was horrible.  We had Manny, Damon, Trot Nixon with a bad back; Kevin Millar from time to time.  And the best option we had at AAA was Adam Hyzdu.  Roberts was brought in for defense.  He played in 38 games for the Sox in 2004, half of them as defensive replacements.  Bradley is much more valuable to this team over the next 30-60 days than Quntin Berry.

Victorino & Ellsbury would never be pulled for defensive purposes & it's not likely Nava would be, either.  Bradley is not really a base stealer, not in Berry's league anyway, and Bradley doesn't have value as a pinch hitter.  What exactly would he bring to the table on a playoff roster and how is he "much more" valuable?! 

I will gladly wager that Berry makes the postseason roster before Bradley does, barring any injuries to any of the 4 outfielders between now and then.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

[QUOTE]

Victorino & Ellsbury would never be pulled for defensive purposes & it's not likely Nava would be, either.  Bradley is not really a base stealer, not in Berry's league anyway, and Bradley doesn't have value as a pinch hitter.  What exactly would he bring to the table on a playoff roster and how is he "much more" valuable?! 

I will gladly wager that Berry makes the postseason roster before Bradley does, barring any injuries to any of the 4 outfielders between now and then.  

[/QUOTE]

You don't think the guy the Sox named minor-league defensive player of the year last year would come in for Daniel Nava defensively?  

Base-stealing is just one dimension.  Why do you think it's more likely that we will need a stolen base than a throw from left-field to home plate?

And again, once Berry steals that base, you have to remove him.  Bradley can handle himself at the plate, particularly against RHP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Stabbed by Foulke

I think that's reasonable, Denny, but with the Rule 5 draft looming the decision might have been to get something now that might help in the short- or medium-term or settle for the $50k pittance in November for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke

I think that's reasonable, Denny, but with the Rule 5 draft looming the decision might have been to get something now that might help in the short- or medium-term or settle for the $50k pittance in November for him.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Mortensen was a rule 5 guy.  Wasn't he DFA'd, cleared waivers, and signed to a minor-league contract? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Another head scratcher. Mortensen seems to have re-invented himself as a starter. Doing very well at Pawtucket. Berry is a speedy outfielder who cannot hit. His only use might be as a pinch runner when rosters expand. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Are you still scratching your head, Galehouse?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Stabbed by Foulke

After tonight's game, ROI (return on investment) has already been realized as far as I'm concerned.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

It's looking like a great trade right now!  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I can remember a similar,speedy,light hitting,fourth outfielder providing some value to the team in 2004.

I'm glad that the Sox had Berry last night.He played a key part in an important game,just like the Front Office thought he could when they traded for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

You can make the argument that Mortensen holds more value than Berry "all things considered", and I would even agree with you.

But Mortensen holds no place nor any future on this team.  Berry provides a speedy 4th outfielder, something the team lacks.

This is not a big sexy move, but it adds value to this season and takes zero away from the future. So to the BOSTON RED SOX Berry is more valuable.  Makes sense for both teams.

The Red Sox won't keep a "speedy 4th outfielder" on the roster beyond this September if he can't hit a lick. He was batting .190 in AAA this year. He provides nothing from April 1 through August 31st.

[/QUOTE]

I wonder, sometimes, if the only reason I come in here is to see how often ADG is wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

It's amazing how many media references has been made to Roberts

Sections
Shortcuts