Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : I'll be the contrarian and say it doesn't matter that much.  I think you need three very solid pitchers to be the core of any good bullpen.  Assuming either Bard or Aceves is still in the pen we have 2 of the 3 key pitchers.  So we are close IMO ... regardless of how they configure the roles. And for my money, I'd rather have 3 "stoppers" who can pitch 1-2 innings every 4 days (whichever innings are most needed), instead of a designated 9th inning guy and a designated 8th inning guy ... but stats driven management has always made me nutty.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

I'd say that defined roles are generally for the best, but I also agree that an ideal scenario is having multiple guys you could ask to step in and throw the 9th or 8th when necessary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess... if they're happy with it I sure am!  But I still don't undestand why they would move their top closer for an unproven ss and a pitcher with a 7.66 ERA.  But there's a lot about these trades that mystify me.

The Astros are in such a sad state that lowrie represents a major upgrade at SS for them. They may also see more in Weiland than most of us do, softy excluded.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DM-NH. Show DM-NH's posts

Could it be that the Sox now turn around, and trade Melancon, and maybe Reddick or Kalish for Bailey and a minor leaguer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Could it be that the Sox now turn around, and trade Melancon, and maybe Reddick or Kalish for Bailey and a minor leaguer?
    Posted by DM-NH[/QUOTE]

It is possible.....but dont trade Kalish who I predicted he ll be a better player than Reddick.  Trade Reddick!!

But if the trade is not going to happen, then at least Boston have an additional bullpen pitcher!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

DM-NH - Beane wants too much for Bailey...I see he wanted Stanton for Gio Gonzalez, that tells you something...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Another base-on-ball machine! Just what we need. 26 walks in 74 innings.....yeah, that will get the job done!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

At least this move wasn't a move just to make a move.  Lowrie hasn't played more then 60 or so games for the last couple of years and I don't think Weiland was going to become a show stopper.  We needed relief pitching and this is a good start.  At least I hope it's just a start

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Can you ever have enough big arms--I think not.
    Curren closers---Bard, Aceves, Jenks and Melancon--could be some competition. If Bard goes to the rotation you still have three to choose from. 

[QUOTE]Sox have potentially 2 Closers now, Bard and Melancon, just be patient. Keep working the phones you never know what happens as the Off-Season keeps going. Need a strong BP, too many Sox starters that dont go over 6 innings.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Another base-on-ball machine! Just what we need. 26 walks in 74 innings.....yeah, that will get the job done!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't exactly call him a BB machine.  Its not fantastic, but it's not awful either.  Basically the same ratio as D. bard last year.  It is his weakest point, yes.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

The Yankees jettisoned him for some reason...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

The question is: can Melancon handle the AL East and the pressure of pitching there?  Once that question is answered in the affirmative I'll like this trade.  Until then we gave up a bag of balls essentially for a 26 year old closer who will be under team control for 5 seasons.  Generally such deals are good ones.  Jenks can be the primary set up man with Melancon closing games and Jenks filling in  the closer's slot after multiple appearances by Melancon. 

Jenks could very well bounce back as he still has an excellent "live" arm. After several surgeries let's hope he will be fairly healthy in '12!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Melancon had 2 walks, 3 hits in the last 11 innings of the season  with 14ks...he was lights out...with no ERs...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

They may also see more in Weiland than most of us do, softy excluded.

Weiland is yet to pitch on a MLB starter or pen schedule. 2011 amounted to spot starts on no timeline and a total of less than 3 full games worth of career innings. Weiland was simply one of several young farm arms who may or may not have MLB staying power, but it was incorrect not to use him and other farm hands on a schedule over wasting time and money on Tim Watefield.

Weiland is like most pitching prospects age 25, odds are always stacked against it. But it is always about the odds and percentages, and the Red Sox traded one known profile and one unknown profile for one known profile. At best, it was a marginal trade, but at least it did address a team need and will be a fit. Lowrie plus Bowden would have been more like it. Lowrie is still in younger phase and is quite decent v. LP. Control is a little less, but Lowrie plus a known scrap for Melacon was more like it. Weiland may soon be a scrap, but he is still unknown at this stage. Pen market 2nd tier is quite supply heavy. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Can you ever have enough big arms--I think not. Curren closers---Bard, Aceves, Jenks and Melancon--could be some competition. If Bard goes to the rotation you still have three to choose from.  In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon :
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Unless the closer is being chosen via a hot dog eating contest, Jenks is not in the competition.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]I dont love Aviles as the back up SS... He's better than Lowrie, and we have Iggy waiting in the wings.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Regardless, the trade works ONLY if MM pitches lights out.

Lowrie is difficult to "give up" on if Aviles and "Iggy" are the best we can expect. Neither are the hitter Lowrie is IMHO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]The Yankees jettisoned him for some reason...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]
    That reason was five-time All Star Lance Berkman.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/berkmla01.shtml#trans

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]The question is: can Melancon handle the AL East and the pressure of pitching there?  Once that question is answered in the affirmative I'll like this trade.  Until then we gave up a bag of balls essentially for a 26 year old closer who will be under team control for 5 seasons.  Generally such deals are good ones.  Jenks can be the primary set up man with Melancon closing games and Jenks filling in  the closer's slot after multiple appearances by Melancon.  Jenks could very well bounce back as he still has an excellent "live" arm. After several surgeries let's hope he will be fairly healthy in '12!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Seems a bit pejorative...lighten up maybe? Happy Holidays though!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : That reason was five-time All Star Lance Berkman. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/berkmla01.shtml#trans
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

So, do we think this move ends all discussion regarding Mr. Bailey coming this way from Oakland?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not on this forum.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]The question is: can Melancon handle the AL East and the pressure of pitching there?  Once that question is answered in the affirmative I'll like this trade.  Until then we gave up a bag of balls essentially for a 26 year old closer who will be under team control for 5 seasons.  Generally such deals are good ones.  Jenks can be the primary set up man with Melancon closing games and Jenks filling in  the closer's slot after multiple appearances by Melancon.  Jenks could very well bounce back as he still has an excellent "live" arm. After several surgeries let's hope he will be fairly healthy in '12!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Can CJ Wilson, Madson, Oswalt, etc handle the AL East?  Probably not or probably yes!!  But Boston isnt going to gamble and waste double digits million dollars a year for these guys to see if they can handle the AL East or not.  Melancon's salary is cheap, and is tradeable if he fail to do his job in the bullpen while Wilson, Madson, Oswalt, etc who all could be un-tradeable!!!!

Come on, Ben C. did the right thing so far!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

^^^ Given what the A's reportedly want in return, I sure hope it ends the Bailey talks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

Maybe Ben won't name the closer to see how things go in ST.
    Its possible Bobby V is good enough to get through to Bobby J, what a great opportunity this is to reignite his career, and have him come to ST in great shape with the goal of earning the closers job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Regardless, the trade works ONLY if MM pitches lights out. Lowrie is difficult to "give up" on if Aviles and "Iggy" are the best we can expect. Neither are the hitter Lowrie is IMHO.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Lowrie has shown flashes of good hitting but he hasn't sustained anything.  His final line for 2011 was only 252/303/382.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]I dont love Aviles as the back up SS... He's better than Lowrie, and we have Iggy waiting in the wings.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I would give a close nod to Lowrie in the field, both cover little ground. Lowrie a bit more sure handed, Aviles the stronger arm.  a larger gap to Lowrie at the plate. For 2 months he was on fire. I am not aware that Aviles has ever shown that type of bat?
    Granted, Lowries health has to be factored.
    I am also not loving Iglesias. Saw a lot of him at Pawtucket. Also saw him in spring training quite a bit. Is "magically erratic" a word?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : I would give a close nod to Lowrie in the field, both cover little ground. Lowrie a bit more sure handed, Aviles the stronger arm.  a larger gap to Lowrie at the plate. For 2 months he was on fire. I am not aware that Aviles has ever shown that type of bat? Granted, Lowries health has to be factored. I am also not loving Iglesias. Saw a lot of him at Pawtucket. Also saw him in spring training quite a bit. Is "magically erratic" a word?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

2 words. 

Sections
Shortcuts