Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon:
    [QUOTE]ESPN's Keith Law thinks the Astros won the deal.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

He certainly didn't make much of a case. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Yes sir, I have.  Our audit partner took us there every year-end.  Classy gentleman.  Had a great time. IRT Melancon, I like it.  I'm not convinced of Melancon since he had a bit of the deer in the headlights look in NY, but he's a couple of years older now.  He has a lot of upside, and we have little downside.  I like Lowrie, but he was never going to get playing time.  I'd like to have melancon, even as a setup, than have another utility guy on the bench.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

As for the name? It’s not “Mellon-cone” as I’ve heard many say, it’s actually “Muh-lan-sin.”

Just sayin'...if'n you say Red Sox fans ahh Da Bestest, you best say dear names rightly...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Good riddance to Lowrie and Weiland! Neither are impressive, you have to admit it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

This is a non-event.

They traded a couple of mediocrities to get another mediocrity in return.

Melancon is not going to be able to close for the Sox.  But he'll be a reliever. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]This is a non-event. They traded a couple of mediocrities to get another mediocrity in return. Melancon is not going to be able to close for the Sox.  But he'll be a reliever. 
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]
    Given the state of the Red Sox bullpen, this is why the trade qualifies as an event.

I still like the trade from the standpoint of the Red Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At 26, he's had a 2 year total of an ERA under 3.00, an under 1.200 WHIP, and just under a 9 K/9 rate.

You may call that mediocre, but I call it better than anyone else in our pen at this point (assuming Bard and Aceves become starters).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]At 26, he's had a 2 year total of an ERA under 3.00, an under 1.200 WHIP, and just under a 9 K/9 rate. You may call that mediocre, but I call it better than anyone else in our pen at this point (assuming Bard and Aceves become starters).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Those number would place Melancon in the top 25% of closers in MLB.  So while he is not Paplebon he is better than the majority of closers out there.  We could be far worse off IMHO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

"No Pop Jed Leads the Team in..." thread.

Idiot thread, started during a tiny sample of what is now the end of a Red Sox UIF'er career.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]"No Pop Jed Leads the Team in..." thread. Idiot thread, started during a tiny sample of what is now the end of a Red Sox UIF'er career.  
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Actually, the sample size about 197 times the sample sizes you sometimes use to bash Sox players you hate, and his Slg% placed him in 4th place on the team in 2010 (.526). (He ended up 3rd in OPS at .907.)

When you tried to bully the conversation into claiming "pop" meant HRs only, not extra base hits or Slg%, you got schooled there too. Jed ended up just 1 HR from passing your buddy BHall... the guy you continually tiouted for his power and 'pop". BHall had 18 HRs in 382 PAs, whil Jed had 9 in 197 (Nearly identical), but Jed had 14 doubles to BHall's 16 in about half the PAs. Keep believeing BHall had more "pop" that year. Your silly little world is full of these fantasies. Jed had almost the same HR% as Beltre, and he was slightly ahead of VMart. Only Papi had a significantly better HR% than Jed. (As you might recall, Jed was also robbed of 2 HRs in 2010- one in right center field in Fenway.) 

Silly clown!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

how about using a sample size of 78 at bats to judge a players talent level in one season lost to injury??? and yet ignore the other 3 all showing great numbers with upward mobility???

can you say......hypocrite. 

Anyways apparently the Sox are still going after Bailey.  Looks like Charington is doing what Theo was scared to do....improve the bullpen. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]how about using a sample size of 78 at bats to judge a players talent level in one season lost to injury??? and yet ignore the other 3 all showing great numbers with upward mobility??? can you say......hypocrite.  Anyways apparently the Sox are still going after Bailey.  Looks like Charington is doing what Theo was scared to do....improve the bullpen. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

...and don't forget he judged "Jake" after his shortened 2007 season as well. Jake's a liberal college grad; that's all he needed to know to form his opinion, and he's stuck with it.

Back to the thread topic...

I live in Sugar Land, TX and heard the Astro's GM talking about the trade. He seemed more high on Weiland than Jed, and mentioned that the talks originally involved more players including "getting catching help". I wonder if these two teams might revisit trade talks involving Salty (I hope) or Lava (I hope not). I still think Wandy Rodriguez would be a nice score (perhaps for Salty, Reddick, and Doubront), but our budget would take a big hit.