Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

The Red Sox acquired reliever Mark Melancon from the Astros for shortstop Jed Lowrie and starter Kyle Weiland, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.  ESPN's Jerry Crasnick first tweeted that Weiland was traded in a deal that involved a reliever going to Boston.

Weiland, 25, struggled in 24 2/3 innings in his Red Sox debut this year.  At Triple-A, he posted a 3.58 ERA, 8.8 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, and 0.70 HR/9 in 128 1/3 innings.  A third-round pick in 2008, Baseball America ranked Weiland 20th among Red Sox prospects prior to the season.  BA says the former Notre Dame closer "relishes pitching inside" and his "best pitch is a low-90s fastball that peaks at 95 but is most notable for its hard sink."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

Thanks....I already posted it 10 minutes ago....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If true, this a a great deal for the Red Sox ... Mark Melancon apparently remains under his team's control through the 2016 season.

Jed Lowrie remains under his team's control for only three (more expensive) arbitration seasons and I have modest expectations for Kyle Weiland.

I don't like the deal from Houston's standpoint.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

really really good pickup. good thinking ben

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Not impressed at all. Lowrie should have been it for this decent young pen arm. Better to have retained Lowrie and let Weiland throw out of pen bottom, then overpay for this one guy. Lowrie should be traded with Ellsbury, for a top young Rh OF bat and a 2nd tier pitcher. Now, Lowrie's decent v. LP bat is gone and so is Weiland for one pen arm.

Not remarkable, at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Admittedly, I know very little about Melancon but at a quick glance this looks to be a good move by Ben.  It addresses a need in the Bullpen, while the Sox don't part with anyone who figured heavily into long term plans. 

Lowrie is nothing more than a utility IF in the Red Sox plan and Weiland is a marginal starting pitching prospect.  In Melancon they get a a potential back of the Bullpen guy, who is only 26 and has many years of team control remaining.  He will be very inexpensive in both 2012 and 2013.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

And thus ends the Red Sox career for the elite MLB SS who had panic attacks and spent more time working on Union side of labor law papers. Ellsbury's only close buddy, headed to Texas. Remember, that is where Jed was overheated and felt ill. Nice fit;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon:
    [QUOTE]Not impressed at all. Lowrie should have been it for this decent young pen arm. Better to have retained Lowrie and let Weiland throw out of pen bottom, then overpay for this one guy. Lowrie should be traded with Ellsbury, for a top young Rh OF bat and a 2nd tier pitcher. Now, Lowrie's decent v. LP bat is gone and so is Weiland for one pen arm. Not remarkable, at all.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Nice Softy.  You have basically had nothing good to say about Lowrie, ever, beyond 'he should be packaged with ellsbury', and suddenly he is enough of a chip to get Melancon by himself.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Melancon doesn't take much to get, Space.

I just said Lowrie is quite decent v. LP, when he isn't having anxiety attacks. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Cherry 2 up on Inepstein:

1. At least Melancon is a team need and fit

2. He kicked an old veteran parasite named Varitek out of the frathouse

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]And thus ends the Red Sox career for the elite MLB SS who had panic attacks and spent more time working on Union side of labor law papers. Ellsbury's only close buddy, headed to Texas. Remember, that is where Jed was overheated and felt ill. Nice fit;)

Softy,

This is a good deal for the Sox. Why you keep on harping on getting rid of Ells I along with most others will never figure out.

Jed's days were numbered here as with injury after injury his trade value lessened. When healthy he's a very good hitter, but mediocre fielder and as for Weiland he's an unknown quantity.

We pick up a young pitcher just coming into his own coming off of a very good year and only 26. This is a good deal for the Sox and best of luck to Lowrie. I hope he finally gets over the injury bug. 

Hetchinspete.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks....I already posted it 10 minutes ago....
    Posted by d3f863d9338d62909b0c5acb8fc2aef4[/QUOTE]

Don't you hate it when people stomp all over your threads!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1NosMe. Show No1NosMe's posts

[QUOTE]Cherry 2 up on Inepstein: 1. At least Melancon is a team need and fit 2. He kicked an old veteran parasite named Varitek out of the frathouse

Agreed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Melancon doesn't take much to get, Space. I just said Lowrie is quite decent v. LP, when he isn't having anxiety attacks. 
    There is some risk, as MM hasn't spent long on the big stage, and Houston ain't Boston.  But, the kid is turning into a serious pitcher.  Using my admittedly imperfect baseball prgnostication powers, I think Melancon is coming into his own and is about to turn into a powerful pitching force.  Melancon for Lowrie will prove to be steal, when you consider the money and club control.  Thats my prediction.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Softy, This is a good deal for the Sox. Why you keep on harping on getting rid of Ells I along with most others will never figure out. Jed's days were numbered here as with injury after injury his trade value lessened. When healthy he's a very good hitter, but mediocre fielder and as for Weiland he's an unknown quantity. We pick up a young pitcher just coming into his own coming off of a very good year and only 26. This is a good deal for the Sox and best of luck to Lowrie. I hope he finally gets over the injury bug.  Hetchinspete.  
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Good post.

Lowrie was never going to be more than a complimentary piece on this team and I quickly learned to prefer Aviles to Jed, making Jed even more expendable in my mind.

I'm a little surprised Houston traded the guy who seemed to be their future closer, who has years of team control, for a utility IF and a marginal pitching prospect. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

This is a good deal for the Sox. Why you keep on harping on getting rid of Ells I along with most others will never figure out.

No, at best, a marginal deal. See Crawford contract and roster construction and farm and Ellsbury 2 year 16 to 20 million cost, and you just might figure it out.

Jed's days were numbered here as with injury after injury his trade value lessened

I said to deal Lowrie, last winter, after windfall last half of 2010. I said the sell high window would close rapidly for this non-ss blocked former prospect. I was right. And the same issue applies to Ellsbury windfall 2011, except it is more urgent to deal Ellsbury now because of the 16 to 20M cost for his ticket to FA and the 20M annual Crawford cost. Red Sox paying 30M a year for Ellsbury and Crawford is nothing short of incompetent and pathetic. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

This came out of left field. WOW.

Scouting report says he incorporated a cutter in 2011.

Two plus pitches.

Fastball 90-96
    Change 80-84
    Curve
    Cutter 91 93

Has a straight change also.

Does he have the mental makeup to close in Boston?

Time will tell.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have said all along that the Astros are a good fit for trades. They can't possibly win in the next 2 years, and we have lots of prospects that are not really MLB-ready. I was surprised they took ones that are "ready" or already in the bigs.

We won't even miss Lowrie, except maybe vs LHPs. I live near Houston and have seen Melancon pitch many times. This kid is pretty good. I think he had about 5 blown saves, but I think he is closer material. He doesn't even reach arb until 2014, so we have 5 years of team control on Mark.

Good trade!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Does anyone know if there is any contractual price difference between Lowrie and Melancon? Though doubtful, just wondering if the Sox have trimmed any payroll by taking Shoppach instead of V-Tek and in this Melancon-Lowrie swap.

Either way, great swap by Ben, we had a surplus of Utility IF'ers. Hopefully he can keep bolstering our Pen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]This is a good deal for the Sox. Why you keep on harping on getting rid of Ells I along with most others will never figure out. No, at best, a marginal deal. See Crawford contract and roster construction and farm and Ellsbury 2 year 16 to 20 million cost, and you just might figure it out. Jed's days were numbered here as with injury after injury his trade value lessened I said to deal Lowrie, last winter, after windfall last half of 2010. I said the sell high window would close rapidly for this non-ss blocked former prospect. I was right. And the same issue applies to Ellsbury windfall 2011, except it is more urgent to deal Ellsbury now because of the 16 to 20M cost for his ticket to FA and the 20M annual Crawford cost. Red Sox paying 30M a year for Ellsbury and Crawford is nothing short of incompetent and pathetic. 

I will agree that they overpaid for Crawford, but the jury is still out. Hopefully he'll recover the last years disaster. I'm not convinced he can take the pressure of a playing in a major market like Boston or New York. In spite of the salary if he returns to form he's a major addition to the line-up. If not then we're stuck with another long term contract that cripples the teams ability to deal. 

As for Ells I disagree. If he continues to stay the same course as one of the best young players in the game to replace him with a player of equal quality is going to cost the same dollars. Ells is a keeper long term. 

Hetchinspete.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone know if there is any contractual price difference between Lowrie and Melancon? Though doubtful, just wondering if the Sox have trimmed any payroll by taking Shoppach instead of V-Tek and in this Melancon-Lowrie swap. Either way, great swap by Ben, we had a surplus of Utility IF'ers. Hopefully he can keep bolstering our Pen.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]
    Mark Melancon remains under his team's control for another five seasons while Jed Lowrie remains under his team's control for three more expensive arbitration seasons. Melancon should earn near the league minimum next season before becoming arbitration-eligible as a Super Two the following offseason. Lowrie was projected to earn $1.2 million next year in his first arbitration season.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

good trade....solid bullpen help hopefully......Lowrie was always going to be a backup player........

Sections
Shortcuts