Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

I would give a close nod to Lowrie in the field, both cover little ground.

Lowrie's range is about one step left and right.
    \
    Lowrie a bit more sure handed, Aviles the stronger arm. 

Agree.

A larger gap to Lowrie at the plate. For 2 months he was on fire. I am not aware that Aviles has ever shown that type of bat?

He did hit .317 in 2011. His career BA is .288, which is very very good for a SS. Jed is a career .252, although he does have a .006 better OBP career.

Granted, Lowries health has to be factored.

Big factor. And, we save his salary.

I am also not loving Iglesias. Saw a lot of him at Pawtucket. Also saw him in spring training quite a bit. Is "magically erratic" a word?

No, it's 2 words.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon:
    [QUOTE]The Yankees jettisoned him for some reason...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

They also Jesttisoned Aceves for some reason.........can lightning strike twice???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]The Yankees jettisoned him for some reason...

The Yankees also jettisoned Alfredo Aceves last year for some reason.Although I'm not saying Melacon will be as good for the Sox as Aceves was,just that the Yankees sometimes make mistakes too.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Melacon is a fit, no doubt, but dubious that market was Lowrie plus Weiland.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : They also Jesttisoned Aceves for some reason.........can lightning strike twice???
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I am sure the Yankees would like a do-over on the Aceves thing.  But, thats a tough one.  It looked like his arm might be toast ... maybe the much-maligned Sox med staff just got it right huh?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5 years of control (2 pre-arb) is reason enough, and besides, haven't you been screaming for 3 years how horrible Jed is?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]5 years of control (2 pre-arb) is reason enough, and besides, haven't you been screaming for 3 years how horrible Jed is?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Haha.  Suddenly, Lowrie is apparently so valuable as to make this deal a terrible one.  Good stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Space, marginal at best is not terrible. The pen arm is a fit, but Cherry bid against himself by dealing one young MLB profile and a prospect with years of control for one young MLB. At least it is a fit, but is is not impressive in terms of value. That is one up on InEpstein.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : I am sure the Yankees would like a do-over on the Aceves thing.  But, thats a tough one.  It looked like his arm might be toast ... maybe the much-maligned Sox med staff just got it right huh?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

HAAA!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Good trade for all. Melancon is just entering his prime, he is worth the risk. Jed needs more AB's and he will get them with the Astros. Kyle struck me as a kid who needs a lot more innings under his belt and he will get them in Houston. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Astros didn't win the deal, but the Red Sox certainly paid too much from not much. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti. Show javaukti's posts

Be great if Aceves & Melencon, two Yankee cast-offs, become the anchors of the Sox bullpen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]5 years of control (2 pre-arb) is reason enough, and besides, haven't you been screaming for 3 years how horrible Jed is?
    To be precise, Mark Melancon likely will have only one more pre-arbitration year because the righthander should qualify as a Super Two after next season (giving him four arbitration years, unless the new CBA changed the rules).

Still, I view the trade as a great deal for the Red Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox acquired reliever Mark Melancon from the Astros for shortstop Jed Lowrie and starter Kyle Weiland , tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports .   ESPN's Jerry Crasnick first tweeted that Weiland was traded in a deal that involved a reliever going to Boston. Weiland, 25, struggled in 24 2/3 innings in his Red Sox debut this year.  At Triple-A, he posted a 3.58 ERA, 8.8 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, and 0.70 HR/9 in 128 1/3 innings.  A third-round pick in 2008, Baseball America ranked Weiland 20th among Red Sox prospects prior to the season.  BA says the former Notre Dame closer "relishes pitching inside" and his "best pitch is a low-90s fastball that peaks at 95 but is most notable for its hard sink."
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Hey mojo, this was a good long term move if Melancon continues to improve.  Lowrie was definitely a man without a place.  This also goes to show you Ben and company probably didn't feel the same about Wake, Tek and Weiland as Theo did. 

It's a start in the right direction!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Moonslow never gets even the obvious.......................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : So, do we think this move ends all discussion regarding Mr. Bailey coming this way from Oakland?
    Some have speculated that the Red Sox could flip Mark Melancon in a package for Andrew Baily because Oakland GM Billy Beane would like Melancon's five years of team control.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ESPN's Keith Law thinks the Astros won the deal.

That is more proof it was a good deal for us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5 years of control (2 pre-arb) is reason enough, and besides, haven't you been screaming for 3 years how horrible Jed is?
    Posted by moonslav59

To be precise, Mark Melancon likely have only one more pre-arbitration year because the righthander should qualify as a Super Two after next season (giving him four arbitration years, unless the new CBA changed the rules).

Still, I view the trade as a great deal for the Red Sox.

True, thanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]ESPN's Keith Law thinks the Astros won the deal. That is more proof it was a good deal for us.
    I'm not sure how to state this delicately, but ...

All teams promote their players to the media and public and perhaps no team promotes players better than the Red Sox.

The East Coast-centric national baseball media seize and magnify that promotion, often resulting in an overstated public perception of a player's value.

I'm a fan of Jed Lowrie (because he's from Oregon and Stanford University), but his on-field value may fall short of public's commonly held assessment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

This sport is beginning to feel sour and less than inviting to this oldtimer.

Homegrown talents are jettisoned.

MVPs and former superstars become objects for ridicule due to PED use.

An icon of the sport goes to California for $250 million.

A manager gets tossed under the bus for losing his team.

A team owner shows up at a radio station uninvited and makes a fool of himself.

...the musical chairs game (Aceves and Melancon) leads us to potentially rely on men from the Evil Empire to be the Red Sox mainstays.

I may take up bocci this spring.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

[QUOTE]Melancon closed games for Houston last year but does that necessarily mean he is now the Sox closer?  25 career save opportunities is a pretty small body of work, perhaps another move is coming and Melancon will find himself in more of a set-up role? Looking through his game logs it is great to see the number of times he pitched 2+ innings and he clearly has the stuff to miss plenty of bats but the number of blown saves is a little concerning. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Bailey? Gio? Cordero?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]This sport is beginning to feel sour and less than inviting to this oldtimer. Homegrown talents are jettisoned. MVPs and former superstars become objects for ridicule due to PED use. An icon of the sport goes to California for $250 million. A manager gets tossed under the bus for losing his team. A team owner shows up at a radio station uninvited and makes a fool of himself. ...the musical chairs game (Aceves and Melancon) leads us to potentially rely on men from the Evil Empire to be the Red Sox mainstays. I may take up bocci this spring.

Too bad you weren't in Brooklyn.  I need another player on my Spring Bocce league team. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I'm very happy about the deal, and didn't hear anything about it from anyone! Musta been planned using the "cone of silence" from the Get Smart movie!  Kinda sad about Lowrie though I gotta admit. I've always had this nagging suspicion that if he could ever find his bigboy pants and stay on the field for a full season, we could see a Biggio type hitter minus the speed. I'm very curious to watch his future developement and wish him well...he always was a good kid. The other G-R-E-A-T thing about getting Melancon is that he can be a resource for our two guys dealing with Tommy John surgery. Many times there can be a psychological fear to throw with full velocity, and I'm sure he'll be able to reassure them. Not sure how he'll be closing out games in the AL East, he might be better as a set-up guy, but it's a great acquisition.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I dont like the move at all if the RS go into the season with Melancon as the closer.  He is a setup man who adds depth but the price was to high for him as there was other more experienced setup men who could have been available just last week.

Lowrie is too valuable and could have been packaged for a bigger deal which brings back a starter or an elite closer.

I never thought and have said numerous times on this site that Weiland is better suited for the bullpen either in long relief or set up.

This move is not a good start for the Cherington lead front office.  If the RS turn around and sign Ryan Madsen to close then I will say ok.  But I just dont think Lowrie should have been moved.