Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon

In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Too bad you weren't in Brooklyn.  I need another player on my Spring Bocce league team. 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh..."bocce!" I stand corrected. Sorry.

Have you ever been to Il Vagabondo?

Il Vagabondo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]I dont like the move at all if the RS go into the season with Melancon as the closer.  He is a setup man who adds depth but the price was to high for him as there was other more experienced setup men who could have been available just last week. Lowrie is too valuable and could have been packaged for a bigger deal which brings back a starter or an elite closer. I never thought and have said numerous times on this site that Weiland is better suited for the bullpen either in long relief or set up. This move is not a good start for the Cherington lead front office.  If the RS turn around and sign Ryan Madsen to close then I will say ok.  But I just dont think Lowrie should have been moved.
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]

Ryan Madsen as closer?

Yikes!

I think you might need to have your head examined if you think that...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

David Robertson was Melancon's set up at AA and AAA in the Yankee farm system.

Yankees were very high on Melancon but i'm one who felt they never gave him a shot when he got to the Bronx like they did Robertson.

He had TJ surgery early in his career this could be a real good pick for the Sox.

Unfortunately. Good luck Mark.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Had him on my fantasy team last year...he was serviceable. If nothing else, another BP arm with closing experience. We'll see how he adjusts to AL East.

Would've preferred to see Lowrie in a swap for Bailey...A's must be asking for too much.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I'm very happy about the deal, and didn't hear anything about it from anyone! Musta been planned using the "cone of silence" from the Get Smart movie!  Kinda sad about Lowrie though I gotta admit. I've always had this nagging suspicion that if he could ever find his bigboy pants and stay on the field for a full season, we could see a Biggio type hitter minus the speed. I'm very curious to watch his future developement and wish him well...he always was a good kid. The other G-R-E-A-T thing about getting Melancon is that he can be a resource for our two guys dealing with Tommy John surgery. Many times there can be a psychological fear to throw with full velocity, and I'm sure he'll be able to reassure them. Not sure how he'll be closing out games in the AL East, he might be better as a set-up guy, but it's a great acquisition.
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Did you ever have mononucleosis or the injuries that Lowrie had. Are you opining, BSing, or trying to be reasonable, objective, and fair?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Good to see the Sox getting rid of useless baggage for players that actually may fill a deficiency the Sox have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : I'm not sure how to state this delicately, but ... All teams promote their players to the media and public and perhaps no team promotes players better than the Red Sox. The East Coast-centric national baseball media seize and magnify that promotion, often resulting in an overstated public perception of a player's value. I'm a fan of Jed Lowrie (because he's from Oregon and Stanford University), but his on-field value may fall short of public's commonly held assessment.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

You're talking to the author of the softy-mocking, surprisingly popular "No Pop Jed Leads the Team in..." thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Crawford!  Crawford!  It's all about Crawford!

Grassy knoll?  Crawford!
    Apollo 11?  Crawford!
    The Euro?  Crawford!

CRAWFORD!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Good to see the Sox getting rid of useless baggage for players that actually may fill a deficiency the Sox have.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Players that you rooted for before are now useless baggage. Sounds like overstatement to me. No middle ground just a black or white, binary situation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I like this deal provided it's not the only back end of the pen type deal we make. Getting a bonified closer to go with him? Now that would be getting it done!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5 years of control for Melancon.
    for 
    3 years of Lowrie and our 13th rated prospect (Weiland) who is 25.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

No. No. Yes. No. Yes. Yes. Yes.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Did you ever have mononucleosis or the injuries that Lowrie had. Are you opining, BSing, or trying to be reasonable, objective, and fair?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Seems a bit pejorative...lighten up maybe? Happy Holidays though!
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Point taken, Lowrie has "potential" but he is fragile.   Weiland has shown nothing that impresses me even remotely.  Maybe you've seen something different?  Merry Christmas to you and yours!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford!  Crawford!  It's all about Crawford! Grassy knoll?  Crawford! Apollo 11?  Crawford! The Euro?  Crawford! CRAWFORD!
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

I thought that "grassy knoll' was a Dannycater term that he loved to use. Where is Danny? Where are Babe, Yazzer, and Harness?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

harness always takes winters off to go to the track.
    Babe was probably booted.
    Yazzer? You mean Yaz? He's here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jed Lowrie may have trouble with the tougher pitching, and the tougher hitting environments, of the American League West, as well as hitting in the weaker Astros lineup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Good to see the Sox getting rid of useless baggage for players that actually may fill a deficiency the Sox have. Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Classy, "useless baggage" huh? Real classy...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]5 years of control for Melancon. for  3 years of Lowrie and our 13th rated prospect (Weiland) who is 25.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Perfectly and succinctly put.  Should be a thread-ender.  It is for me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Classy, "useless baggage" huh? Real classy...

Traven often speaks without thinking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon": [QUOTE]Jed Lowrie may have trouble with the tougher pitching, and the tougher hitting environments, of the American League West, as well as hitting in the weaker Astros lineup. Posted by hill55[/QUOTE] Do they go to the AL next year? I was thinking it wasn't til the year after. I hadn't thought about that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Players that you rooted for before are now useless baggage. Sounds like overstatement to me. No middle ground just a black or white, binary situation. Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE] I agree yet again pike. Three times now in two nights. Must be the Christmas season......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon": Do they go to the AL next year? I was thinking it wasn't til the year after. I hadn't thought about that.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    You are correct ... the move does not take place until 2013.

Thanks for the clarification.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox trade for Mark Melancon : Ahhhh..."bocce!" I stand corrected. Sorry. Have you ever been to Il Vagabondo?

Yes sir, I have.  Our audit partner took us there every year-end.  Classy gentleman.  Had a great time.

IRT Melancon, I like it.  I'm not convinced of Melancon since he had a bit of the deer in the headlights look in NY, but he's a couple of years older now.  He has a lot of upside, and we have little downside.  I like Lowrie, but he was never going to get playing time.  I'd like to have melancon, even as a setup, than have another utility guy on the bench.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

i am glad lowrie is gone

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]This sport is beginning to feel sour and less than inviting to this oldtimer. Homegrown talents are jettisoned. MVPs and former superstars become objects for ridicule due to PED use. An icon of the sport goes to California for $250 million. A manager gets tossed under the bus for losing his team. A team owner shows up at a radio station uninvited and makes a fool of himself. ...the musical chairs game (Aceves and Melancon) leads us to potentially rely on men from the Evil Empire to be the Red Sox mainstays. I may take up bocci this spring.

Outside of the owner showing up at a radio station (which wasn't remotely that big a deal) nothing else on your "woe-is-me" list is news.  Pretty much all of that has been going on for a long time.

Get over the money and player movement and watch the game for what it is.

Sections
Shortcuts