Red Sox trade for RP Burke Badenhop

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Red Sox trade for RP Burke Badenhop

Looks like this guy has consistent numbers wherever he goes.  I like the pickup.

He was traded for minor league player Luis Ortega

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/badenbu01.shtml

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Red Sox trade for RP Burke Badenhop

Rob Bradford@bradfo 9m

Red Sox are trading for relief pitcher Burke Badenhop

Tim Britton@TimBritton 9m

Red Sox have acquired right-handed reliever Burke Badenhop from Milwaukee for minor-league pitcher Luis Ortega.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Does Burke Badenhop take the final spot on the Red Sox 40-man roster?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

That is an excellent query. Who is man #40? I wore a BRS shirt to the store today and you realize how many folks are in RSN. We all want to know everything, every day. Nothing can spoil my off season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Nice pick-up BenC--has AL East experience.

We know how important the pen can be no matter what part of the year you acquire players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Yes he does

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I never heard of Luis Ortega before and had to look him up, but here is his info from soxprospects:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/ortega-luis.htm

He is not listed under the top 60 prospects in the organization and is a 20 yo Dominican left handed pitcher that had good numbers, but was old for the league he was in.  He has three option years remaining, so if he was not projected to make it through the system in that time then the Sox made a good move to trade him for a useful piece in the big league club.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I can't understand this trade from Milwaukee's standpoint. Did the Brewers' need to clear space on their 40-man roster?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

great name..good thing he's not an infielder Sealed

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I can't understand this trade from Milwaukee's standpoint. Did the Brewers' need to clear space on their 40-man roster?

$$$$. Salary arbitration and he's due about $2-2.5M. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

ADG is alive.  So I guess this leaves just SoxFaninIL unaccounted for among the Midwesterners her e

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Bullpen depth, good #'s vs. RH hitters, throws strikes. Should the RS move Workman to rotation will need RH relief help. Ortega put up good #'s last yr at low level, so bit of gamble trade by Brewers, but Badenhop was Arb. eligible and did not want to pay est. 2.1 mil. Good move By Ben.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

My one slight concern for Badenhop is that he pitched very little the second half. Only 2.2 innings after September 4th. Slightly worried about why that is.

But otherwise this guy is an excellent addition. I was thinking about a very similar pitcher in Joe Smith in FA. Was wondering whether 3-12 million was too much. Now we have a very similar guy for Ortega and 1-2 million. Prefer this move.

Luis Ortega I was not high on mainly because he is 5-10. Not big on short pitchers.

Badenhop is a ground ball and command and control pitcher. His career road splits are better then his home splits which I always like to see. The last two seasons he pitched in the A.L. east as well as a launching pad in Millwaukee, yet had very good stats. Gets righties out which we could have used in the playoffs. Threw at least 62 innings 5 straight years. Five straight years with a 3.77 xFIP or lower, including a 3.40 this year.

If he is healthy, its a very good move, even though trading for relievers is Cheringtons achilles heal. I am now against adding any more relievers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not only were his stats good the last two seasons, they were similar to a remarkable degree. ..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah I like it. He looks solid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Not only were his stats good the last two seasons, they were similar to a remarkable degree. ..

Last 5 seasons were incredibly consistent,  but yeah... last two were mirror images.  Love the numbers in the ALEast while with Tampa.  Solid under the radar move that fills an exact wweakness. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

One acquisition down and three to go! C, 1B, CF...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I think JBJ is virtually automatic to start in CF, so I think it is really just C and 1B.

And I think he needs to move an SP, but that could be combined with the C and 1B move.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

great name..good thing he's not an infielder Sealed

Now all we need is Grant Balfour, Logan Bawcom, and Homer Bailey for the best group of pun pitchers in baseball

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

So, if he makes about $2M, that leaves us about $30M to fill 3 big holes plus a utility IF'er.

Sections
Shortcuts