Red Sox trade Franklin Morales for Jonathan Herrera

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Red Sox trade Franklin Morales for Jonathan Herrera

2. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe1h

Obviously things can change. But #RedSox have all the pieces in place they need for 25-man roster with Herrera as a backup Infield

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe1h#RedSox officially announce trade. LHP Franklin Morales and RHP Chris Martin to Rockies for INF Jonathan Herrera.

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe3h

Think their lineup is pretty good, actually.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Harding also added that minor league RHRP Chris Martin is also headed to the Red Sox.  This seems odd because I thought we already had him...

Martin is no slouch, saw him pitch last year. He went like (not sure) but, 28 consecutive  scorless innings last last year Double AA, then promoted to Triple AAA, did alright there too. Wow. Herrara better be worth it.

Pretty sure Sox found him in the Independent League, like Nava.

Edit. Martin pitched 21 innings without giving up a run.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He Pitched 25 innings and made 1.4 Million, Bye. Senior Morales.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now we need WMB back to start of his career form.  If everything goes as we hoped, we might get 60 HRs from our SS and 3B.  

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Time for WM to man up. A kiss from Jenny, whatever works, but I think hes got it in him. His swing is too good for him not to get better. Just needs to lay off the down and away stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

His Minor League stats are pretty amazing. Brooks should start flowing. Just need a little time. Maturity. Why dont people realize he jumped 3 levels in one year. Very hard to do. Then right into the Majors.

Ellsbury almost did this, went from Double AA, to start Centerfield in  World Series same year.

You dont go from Single A to Triple AAA, in the same year, unless your more Talented than your peers. Majors different animal. Guys that are 30 years old still trying to figure it out.

He has the talent, just needs to learn, the men he's facing are the best in the World. Not the Minors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His Minor League stats are pretty amazing. Brooks should start flowing. Just need a little time. Maturity. Why dont people realize he jumped 3 levels in one year. Very hard to do. Then right into the Majors.

He did rise pretty quickly, but a little context should be added.

He spent year 1 at Lowell in 2008 at age 19.

At age 20, he spent the whole year at Greenville.

He spent the next year at Salem (A+) in 2010.

His 4th year was the year you speak of, and he just played 4 games at Lowell before moving to Portland for 96 games. He spent 16 games at AAA that year (2011).

In 2012, he spent just 24 games in AAA before going to the bigs.

For a Sox player spending only 40 games at Pawtucket and 96 at Portland before getting the FT job in the bigs is very noteworthy.

Ellsbury played:

2005 Lowell 35 gms

2006 Wilmington 61 then Portland 50.

2007 Portland 17 then Pawtucket 87 and joining the Sox for a little stretch in July & August and then all September and the playoffs....

Have we had another FT player make it that quickly since Jacoby?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

herrera will play utility role with red sox, who are still interested in stephen drew

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

herrera will play utility role with red sox, who are still interested in stephen drew

[/QUOTE]

I can only think that this is a farce unless they can get rid of some salary relief with Dempster.  As currently constituted, the Sox have under 2 mil of wiggle room under the cap.  I think the Sox are playing nice to have Boras have another team to play off of.  I don't see how the Sox value Drew more than the draft pick they would get for him unless Middlebrooks is traded as well as Dempster.  That said, we lack home grown legit power bats and that is the type of bat Middlebrooks has.

I think of Drew like drugs... just say no

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

[/QUOTE]

I can only think that this is a farce unless they can get rid of some salary relief with Dempster.  As currently constituted, the Sox have under 2 mil of wiggle room under the cap.  I think the Sox are playing nice to have Boras have another team to play off of.  I don't see how the Sox value Drew more than the draft pick they would get for him unless Middlebrooks is traded as well as Dempster.  That said, we lack home grown legit power bats and that is the type of bat Middlebrooks has.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that this trade means Carp gets moved,especially if the Sox re-sign Drew.From what I've read,there's been a lot of interest in Carp from other clubs. 

I don't think the FO is big on the idea of trading Middlebrooks because of the potential he has with the bat.I'd also be surprised to see Cecchini or Bogaerts going anywhere unless there's a major blockbuster deal

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that this trade means Carp gets moved,especially if the Sox re-sign Drew.From what I've read,there's been a lot of interest in Carp from other clubs. 

I don't think the FO is big on the idea of trading Middlebrooks because of the potential he has with the bat.I'd also be surprised to see Cecchini or Bogaerts going anywhere unless there's a major blockbuster deal

[/QUOTE]

For the same reason that Carp has value to other teams, he also has value for the Sox.  He is a low cost power bat that can backup a position where we have a player with a chronic injury in Napoli.  A backup at that position is more importaint to me than most other positions.  Carp can also backup Papi and minimize the offensive production in the case he gets injured.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I just dont see Herrara being the final piece on the IF...being a guy who hits Lefties much better than righties....I dont see him getting much time versus LHP, since you arent going to sit WMB or Beoegarts vs a lefty....so his greatest strength he will never use? ....we need a defensive  type IF, who can hold his own versus RHP...Drew would have fit that, if he had accepted the one year....but I wouldnt want to sign him to a LT deal.......so we look elsewhere.....Herrera is not that guy 

Sections
Shortcuts