Red Sox trade Mike Cameron to Marlins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Red Sox trade Mike Cameron to Marlins

Posted by Monique Walker, Globe Staff 

Veteran outfielder Mike Cameron will get another chance to continue his career.

Cameron, who was designated for assignment on June 30 by the Red Sox, has been sent to the Florida Marlins along with cash in exchange for a player to be named later or cash, the Red Sox announced moments ago.

Cameron struggled in his 33 games with the Red Sox as he hit .149 with nine RBI and three home runs. Cameron signed as a free agent with the Red Sox in December 2009 but was unable to contribute much consistently due to injuries.

Cameron, 38, played in 48 games last season and hit .259 with four home runs and 14 RBI but injuries prevented him from finishing the season.

Cameron is in the midst of his 17th season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Red Sox trade Mike Cameron to Marlins

Good for him. I wish him well.

He obviously didn't work out here. (Really would have liked to see how he would have done last year w/o the injury.) But by all accounts, he was a good guy in the clubhouse and the community.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Who pays for the plane fare?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Burrito; he's got lots of FF miles.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Exactly Roy,I wish him well too.I hope he gets a chance to play on a steady basis,maybe he'll find his groove again.
    It's too bad things didn't work out better for him and the Sox. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

I feel for Mike, going from a place where the fans didn't appreciate him for something unrelated to his playing ability to a team that doesn't have any fans at all. The art dealer made a smart move in bringing Cameron onboard, but too bad there will be no fans to see him perform.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Red Sox trade Mike Cameron to Marlins:
    Posted by Monique Walker, Globe Staff   Veteran outfielder Mike Cameron will get another chance to continue his career. Cameron, who was designated for assignment on June 30 by the Red Sox, has been sent to the Florida Marlins along with cash in exchange for a player to be named later or cash, the Red Sox announced moments ago. Cameron struggled in his 33 games with the Red Sox as he hit .149 with nine RBI and three home runs. Cameron signed as a free agent with the Red Sox in December 2009 but was unable to contribute much consistently due to injuries. Cameron, 38, played in 48 games last season and hit .259 with four home runs and 14 RBI but injuries prevented him from finishing the season. Cameron is in the midst of his 17th season.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

You know what?  I wish the best for Cam because he is a nice guy who used to be an incredible defensive OF with pop.  Unfortunately Theo thought he had a couple more years than he did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Good luck Mike. The Marlins always seem to make a late season run. Hopefully he will contribute. Heck maybe we should have kept another player who was a Marlin. Jeremy Hermida. He was doing OK with us last year until Beltre took him out. I'd take him back now because of our disabled outfield.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It was all about the cash. He wasn't able to contribute part time for us so we maybe picked up a million to use for someone else if available before the break. The Sox probably want to stay under the luxury tax limit if possible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yep, I think Mike coulda been a large contributor if he had not run into Beltre.
    Not blaming Adrian, but two veterans like that should have been able to have called the right guy to catch the ball.

At least that's what a former high school bench warmer thinks ....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox trade Mike Cameron to Marlins:
    Yep, I think Mike coulda been a large contributor if he had not run into Beltre. Not blaming Adrian, but two veterans like that should have been able to have called the right guy to catch the ball. At least that's what a former high school bench warmer thinks ....
    Posted by SinceYaz

that was Ells Yaz..Cam had the double hernia last year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Exactly Roy,I wish him well too.I hope he gets a chance to play on a steady basis,maybe he'll find his groove again. It's too bad things didn't work out better for him and the Sox. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120

I agree with you.  I really liked him and hope that he can turn things around by getting more playing time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Great Clubhouse guy, definately NOT the answer for us on the OF. Theo's strategy going into last year of supplanting Ells with Cam in CF was.....well just stupid, as was borne out over time. Wish him well in his efforts with the Marlins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I feel for Mike, going from a place where the fans didn't appreciate him for something unrelated to his playing ability to a team that doesn't have any fans at all. The art dealer made a smart move in bringing Cameron onboard, but too bad there will be no fans to see him perform.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw

perform what? give me a break - the guy is a thief making 7/5 mil a yr when he should be retired....good riddance - i would have traded him for a toaster

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Roy says it all. Cam was a class act - still is.  Whether his performance was linked to diminished skills or bad situation is unknown.

Not to belabor the point, but I am still scratching my head over how the medical staff missed that sports hernia of his. 

But that is water under the dam.  You've made your bed, now get out of the kitchen.

And other malapropisms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

happy to see him hook up with someone...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Great Clubhouse guy, definately NOT the answer for us on the OF. Theo's strategy going into last year of supplanting Ells with Cam in CF was.....well just stupid, as was borne out over time. Wish him well in his efforts with the Marlins.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

No, that was the only decent strategy Inepstein has had over the past few seasons. Leave it to Bellsbury to get injured and mess it up. If able to watch Cameron for an entire season in CF, he would be one of the most popular players, in spite of what he looks like. Instead he is a scapegoat, when it should be Jake.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Georom and Softy striking their usual notes.  Great!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Posted by sindarin-erebor

IMO, Theo's plan was a very solid plan that didn't work out due to some unfortunate circumstances. 

I was happy to hear that he was picked up by another team.  I wish him the best.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Red Sox trade Mike Cameron to Marlins:
    Posted by Monique Walker, Globe Staff   Veteran outfielder Mike Cameron will get another chance to continue his career. Cameron, who was designated for assignment on June 30 by the Red Sox, has been sent to the Florida Marlins along with cash in exchange for a player to be named later or cash, the Red Sox announced moments ago. Cameron struggled in his 33 games with the Red Sox as he hit .149 with nine RBI and three home runs. Cameron signed as a free agent with the Red Sox in December 2009 but was unable to contribute much consistently due to injuries. Cameron, 38, played in 48 games last season and hit .259 with four home runs and 14 RBI but injuries prevented him from finishing the season. Cameron is in the midst of his 17th season.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-
    SO WHAT ??? SMART MOVE, TIME TO MOVE ON !!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

i hope that cameron plays well in miami although he may be done and just doesn't know it yet.

he did not look good in very many at bats this year when fully healthy, and i can't buy into the excuse that he was not playing all the time and could not adjust.
    he is a 17 season veteran of major league baseball and i would think that a guy with that many years could make this adjustment.  he has seen a hundred guys make this adjustment late in their careers.

he didn't get a ton of ABs because he didn't do well enough to get more.

Sections
Shortcuts